Summer Thoughts | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Summer Thoughts

The 2019 should have been at least "mediocre", coming off a 10 win season, and only losing 1 starter.
Yeah, new OL coach who turned out to be a dud? Didn’t we end up having a bunch of injures too? We moved Servais outside and then back in. Started the transfer who wasn’t good and he left.

Yep. Expectations were high and when he didn’t carry them people jumped ship. There’s still a lot of good there and it’s possible he puts it together. If he doesn’t we’re in better shape than the last two seasons.

19 TD and 5 INT with a 60% or so completion rate isn’t nothing. Better OL, better RB should help him.

But if he doesn’t will you be willing to bail on him or just keep riding the wave?

Stats are one thing, actual game performance are another

I was never remotely a Paulus fan and yet I have always thought that he would have done fairly well in Dino’s offense. He didn’t have Devito’s arm strength, and he was definitely more turnover prone, but he was more accurate and he was excellent at the short passing game. He made quick reads, he was decisive, and wasn’t afraid to thread the ball into tight places.

I'm not saying I would trade one for the other but I think Paulus would have been interesting in this offense. His ability to read the D and get the ball out quickly might have offset at least some of the massive porosity of the OL too.
Paulus was the team MVP in his one season.

What he did that year was remarkable.

Check his stats in his final game.

So are you saying he’s the kinda guy where everyone else needs to play well to make him look good?

Tommy has had happy feet when he drops back, he’s been scared for his life ever since he came into that Notre Dame Game at Yankee Stadium, which to be fair, isn’t all his fault. But he hasn’t trusted his line or his teammates for the last two years.

Dino says that seemed to have calmed this off-season, hoping to see that. Hoping to see TD excel.

But if he doesn’t, I’m not going to waste any tears over seeing Shrader come in or even Morgan.
Yeah. That’s all the obviously stuff that we all see. The bad line play and Tommy running around in panic. I probably watched every game TD has played in 5 times each. We all know he has a strong arm and good accuracy when he can set his feet. I’m just saying there’s other things to critique. There are pre snap and post snap reads that he misses that causal fans don’t see. He makes bad one read quick throw decisions as well. The ball needs to be gone within 2 seconds but he would hold the ball. That has nothing to do with bad line play. There are times when the wr’s and o line messes up. So obviously it’s not all on Tommy.

Think we will be solid on defense, but will suffer what typically happens and get worn down with an ineffective offense that can't stay on the field. Tucker should be in line for a big year, but other than him there doesn't seem to be any other capable big play makers. Taj will be solid as usual, but he's not going to break many games open because of his limitations. It's going to be up to the OL to make a massive improvement for this offense to have any sort of success.

Think we will be solid on defense, but will suffer what typically happens and get worn down with an ineffective offense that can't stay on the field. Tucker should be in line for a big year, but other than him there doesn't seem to be any other capable big play makers. Taj will be solid as usual, but he's not going to break many games open because of his limitations. It's going to be up to the OL to make a massive improvement for this offense to have any sort of success.
I need to go into a season with a reasonable amount of hope, so I’m putting my eggs in the “transfer QB is a playmaker with feel for the game” basket.

Paulus was the team MVP in his one season.

What he did that year was remarkable.

Check his stats in his final game.

If only he played QB more than one year.

And keep in mind that for most of that one year his OC was kind of a disaster hire. Credit Marrone for realizing it and taking over in the last 2 games.

I need to go into a season with a reasonable amount of hope, so I’m putting my eggs in the “transfer QB is a playmaker with feel for the game” basket.
I’m hoping for improvement with the Oline but if not we need to start shrader or another DT option. We need to have someone make the D pay with his legs when they send pressure.

But if he doesn’t will you be willing to bail on him or just keep riding the wave?

Stats are one thing, actual game performance are another
If the OL is improved, ie more time to throw and he is still missing routes and not processing things well - yes.

(I don’t think stats get to far away from game performance. Obviously it’s the combination of watching the game and looking at stats that get you to more complete understanding. Is a lack of INT a sign of playing it too safe or accuracy and knowing where to throw it? I don’t know - but generally speaking I think less INT is better)

Yeah. That’s all the obviously stuff that we all see. The bad line play and Tommy running around in panic. I probably watched every game TD has played in 5 times each. We all know he has a strong arm and good accuracy when he can set his feet. I’m just saying there’s other things to critique. There are pre snap and post snap reads that he misses that causal fans don’t see. He makes bad one read quick throw decisions as well. The ball needs to be gone within 2 seconds but he would hold the ball. That has nothing to do with bad line play. There are times when the wr’s and o line messes up. So obviously it’s not all on Tommy.
This is the stuff Gilbert is here to fix, IMO

If only he played QB more than one year.

And keep in mind that for most of that one year his OC was kind of a disaster hire. Credit Marrone for realizing it and taking over in the last 2 games.
I think Paulus gets romanticized a bit.

The guy completed a high percentage of passes but was pretty shaky. Did not inspire confidence when a play needed to be made. He threw for more interceptions than TDs.

He helped the program for sure. But he was another in the line of nondescript guys we've had play QB. It feels gross saying it, but it's true.

Now, had he gone the football route instead of hoops and was in our program the whole time I think we're having a completely different conversation.

I think Paulus gets romanticized a bit.

The guy completed a high percentage of passes but was pretty shaky. Did not inspire confidence when a play needed to be made. He threw for more interceptions than TDs.

He helped the program for sure. But he was another in the line of nondescript guys we've had play QB. It feels gross saying it, but it's true.

Now, had he gone the football route instead of hoops and was in our program the whole time I think we're having a completely different conversation.

Your last paragraph (and horrible awful Rob Spence) is why I grade him on a curve.

It’s always about this time of year that I start to feel the itch. Camp’s around the corner, pre-season NFL’s creeping up… Hard to explain it, but you can feel it.

It’s my favorite time of the year, always the optimist, there’s endless possibilities.

Here are my thoughts on the ‘21 version of the best gd collegiate football team in NY.

I’ll start with defense bc we’ve been beating the offense to death with a 2x4.

Its hard not to be optimistic about the defense.

Year 2 of the Tony White era. Certainly overachieved during his first season. A full Spring and a season worth of seasoning in his system should pay dividends. I don’t know that it will materialize statistically (bc alot of that is determined by offensive efficiency) but our defense will be formidable and give our offense opportunities. I’m bullish on Tony - home run hire.

We return the majority of the DL, who is experienced. This was a big W for us as a lot of talent in the secondary departed. It is crucial for the front to be effective against the run.

At LB we have talent all over the place. I’m really excited to see the young Buck’s with another year of development flying around and laying sticks. Mikel & Marlow are studs. Stefan Thompson’s not too far off. I like these guys.

The Secondary is going to need to be lead by G and Ja’Had. After that, bow you heads and hope with me. The front 6 or 7 are going to really have to support these guys as they get their sea legs.

ST’s - after Szmytster - a lot of variables. We’ll be fine at returner, but P has me a little scurred… We’ve overperformed here over the years, let’s hope that continues.

Offensively - you guys really wanna cover this again?

I think the line play will be markedly improved. With that being said, we were pretty terrible, so it’s all relative. More depth, health and experience should all be positives. Wrap those rosary beads one more time here.

We will be absolutely fine at RB. Between Tucker (really good), Jarveon and Pena/ThunderousThunder, we’ll be okay.

At WR - I like Queeley’s stability and Taj’s ability. After that, we gonna find out, but I think Courtney Jackson has potential and I’m always excited to see young guys fly around.

The $1M question - who’s slinging it? It’s TD to start with Shredder on the sideline helmet buckled. Short leash and probable committee duty, we’ll see both early. Like most definitely against Ohio.

Honestly, I think Dino’s coaching for his job early. Handle biz in OOC, and get the train rollin’. If not, we ain’t goin’ bowlin’. And then, Wildhack’s gonna be pink slip dolin’.

I do think this squad can get rolling and eligible for a bowl game. But there’s going to have to be monumental improvement from the offense for that to happen.

Here’s to a great season ladies & gents…

Everybody is undefeated in July!

I agree I have my critiques about him but some act like Tommy is a scrub. He has some great qualities he just has to put it all together. He's the type that needs everyone else to do their job well. He is not going create on his own.
Spot on. Unfortunately for Tommy SU lack of an online may cost him his job. Hopefully the guys pull it together under the new coach and Tommy stops hearing footsteps in his sleep. Poor kid has taken a beating it would be great to see him do well.

I know alot of guys that shoot skeet like Jessie James but can't knock a bird down in the field.
I'm hoping Tommy becomes a gammer

The 2019 should have been at least "mediocre", coming off a 10 win season, and only losing 1 starter.

They lost 3 starters

Conway
Roberts
Martin

Regardless, the fans and staff thought we'd be ok that year and it didn't work out.

They lost 3 starters

Conway
Roberts
Martin

Regardless, the fans and staff thought we'd be ok that year and it didn't work out.
Weren't we ranked 21 going into 19?

They lost 3 starters

Conway
Roberts
Martin

Yep.

In retrospect (and kudos to those that called these things out right away) the hiring of Martin at QB coach and Cav as OL set us back offensively. Losing Lewis was a big deal.

Not unlike Marrones first OC and Shafer’s first OC.

GRob’s first one was the biggest disaster of all of them. Dino broke the run, but still had to eventually replace an underperforming OC.
Like the OP, I'm such a Pollyanna that I think that if we get breaks, we can be successful. The only years I didn't think that were GRob's. He could always find a way to lose.

35 years since my Freshman year (wow!) and 11-0-1. I’ll always have hope this time of year. But my orange colored glasses are very scratched up and foggy.

I think we’ll miss the DBs who left. Offense better dramatically improve. Tommy has all the tools. Hope his maturity has improved. (I sure was an idiot when I was 21.).

It’s definitely the countdown to kickoff time. The new Dome looks beautiful - was there last week.

I really like Dino and what he stands for. Thought he was a dream hire. Really hoping they turn it around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom