Suppose that athletes become employees? | Syracusefan.com

Suppose that athletes become employees?

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
I wonder how many Cuse fans would lose interest. I would unless every P-4 team had the same budget, perhaps with a luxury tax? Sure seems like things are moving towards employee status in all but name.

Tracy Morgan No GIF

I wonder how many Cuse fans would lose interest. I would unless every P-4 team had the same budget, perhaps with a luxury tax? Sure seems like things are moving towards employee status in all but name.
It would make more sense to me if the programs were paying the players, since it’s the programs with the revenue. But, then what? The pumps have been primed for citizens paying players, so how does a ‘cap’ work and how is it enforced? In olden times, you saw a college player with diamond earrings and a BMW and you had an idea he was getting booster dollars. In the future, if players are getting legitimized, regulated school money, how do you know he isn’t also getting extra benefits from the same kinds of people who are paying NIL?

I like a cap, but no luxury tax allowance. That’s like not having a cap and the rich still have an advantage.

I would love it if the ncaa made the payments, the amounts were tiered, based on ‘service time’ and they incentivized longevity with the same team. Thats still corruptible, but I don’t think there is a system that can’t be corrupted.

It would make more sense to me if the programs were paying the players, since it’s the programs with the revenue. But, then what? The pumps have been primed for citizens paying players, so how does a ‘cap’ work and how is it enforced? In olden times, you saw a college player with diamond earrings and a BMW and you had an idea he was getting booster dollars. In the future, if players are getting legitimized, regulated school money, how do you know he isn’t also getting extra benefits from the same kinds of people who are paying NIL?

I like a cap, but no luxury tax allowance. That’s like not having a cap and the rich still have an advantage.

I would love it if the ncaa made the payments, the amounts were tiered, based on ‘service time’ and they incentivized longevity with the same team. Thats still corruptible, but I don’t think there is a system that can’t be corrupted.
Collective bargaining.

Joke is on anyone who thought the budgets were the same when “they weren’t getting paid”.
The budgets weren't the same, but the rules in place did limit the disparities to some extent. Legally paying players, if left unchecked, wil allow for disparity akin to what we see in major league baseball, maybe worse.

Last edited:
The budgets weren't the same, but the rules in place did limit the disparities to some extent. Legally playing players, if left unchecked, wil allow for disparity akin to what we see in major league baseball, maybe worse.
The rules that some schools had to follow and others didn’t.

The rules that some schools had to follow and others didn’t.
The rules that many usurped, yes. Guys still got paid, but because it had to be kept on the downlow, it was limited. Now that it isn't, without collective bargaining and some sort of cap, it'll go through the roof. Even with a cap, NIL will still give the schools with the craziest boosters the advantage.

Controls on the amount that schools pay players are part of the settlement and capped at $21MM next year. What isn't controlled, and what will not go away is the abuse of NIL money to pay for play by boosters. Just like the NFL Salary Cap doesn't limit how much State Farm and T-Mobile pay Patrick Mahomes.

Controls on the amount that schools pay players are part of the settlement and capped at $21MM next year. What isn't controlled, and what will not go away is the abuse of NIL money to pay for play by boosters. Just like the NFL Salary Cap doesn't limit how much State Farm and T-Mobile pay Patrick Mahomes.
I missed that part. Thanks for the info.

The programs also incur all of the costs and are not profit centers. As long as football and men's basketball pay for everything that an athletic department supports current revenue streams are all spoken for. To pay players programs will either uncover new or expanded sources of revenue or cut costs.

The programs also incur all of the costs and are not profit centers. As long as football and men's basketball pay for everything that an athletic department supports current revenue streams are all spoken for. To pay players programs will either uncover new or expanded sources of revenue or cut costs.
For the rich schools the money is already there. They just don't have to hide it in nap rooms, putting greens, and needlessly fancy locker rooms anymore. It'll go straight to the players.

Last edited:
For the rich schools the money is already there. They just don't have to hide it in nap rooms, putting greens and needlessly fancy locker rooms anymore. It'll go straight to the players.
Sure. The costs that a school with more lucrative media rights deals or donor bases are easier to cut while others must cut closer to the bone, but it's still the same argument. Cost cutting or revenue enhancements.
For most programs to cut costs means eliminating non revenue sports or cutting coaches and support staff salaries.

If the schools didn't spend endless amounts of money on bs for decades to keep up the charade of being too poor to pay athletes then sports wouldn't "need" to be cut and athletic department staff wouldn't be worried about losing their jobs right now. People can blame the NCAA but the NCAA is the schools themselves.

If the schools didn't spend endless amounts of money on bs for decades to keep up the charade of being too poor to pay athletes then sports wouldn't "need" to be cut and athletic department staff wouldn't be worried about losing their jobs right now. People can blame the NCAA but the NCAA is the schools themselves.
What bs has a program like Syracuse spend endless money on? Where specifically would you expect to see a school like Syracuse cut costs. Keep in mind the Lally center improvements are almost wholly privately funded and the Dome improvements were not paid out of the athletics budget as it is not an Athletics facility.

I liked things better when we were one of schools paying top dollar and getting the stud recruits. Then we got busted but still won a natty about 10 years later. . Now we’re just another school trying to bid for scraps.

Agree. Posted below along the same lines in the 'NCAA, power conferences agree to allow schools to pay players' thread.

It appears obvious that the most critical aspect is one of a true/enforced salary cap, as the NFL has. This is the reason why smaller market teams in the NFL can win, and consistently at that. Unlike the NBA that has a soft/luxury cap, etc. or MLB that hasn't any cap at all, and, therefore, why it's typically the large market teams having the most success.

NIL in the college game still is problematic in my opinion. I can see where the rich getting richer still exists as those schools that have many and more wealthy boosters still finding a way to get the 5 stars, highest rated transfers and the like extra dough. I can see where the cash bags will still be a tactic to lure better/top players even if that school has maxed out its cap, finding a way "creatively" in avoiding the extra moneys being traced back (W2, 1099, etc.) to the beneficiaries.

Now, if these top/higher regarded players are striking legit NIL deals where they are actually pitching products, services, etc., as the professionals do in the NFL,NBA, etc., well then that's is a horse of a different color as it's truly NIL, their market value, etc. based on same.

Sure. The costs that a school with more lucrative media rights deals or donor bases are easier to cut while others must cut closer to the bone, but it's still the same argument. Cost cutting or revenue enhancements.
For most programs to cut costs means eliminating non revenue sports or cutting coaches and support staff salaries.
But I don't think it is the same argument. Some schools already have the money and have for a long time. They just had to find creative ways to use it before. Now they don't. Others will have to do what you're saying.

The rules that many usurped, yes. Guys still got paid, but because it had to be kept on the downlow, it was limited. Now that it isn't, without collective bargaining and some sort of cap, it'll go through the roof. Even with a cap, NIL will still give the schools with the craziest boosters the advantage.
We are going into the 4th season of NIL. What’s different now compared to 2020? It’s the same factories dominating football and the same basketball schools at the top for the most part.

The budgets weren't the same, but the rules in place did limit the disparities to some extent. Legally paying players, if left unchecked, wil allow for disparity akin to what we see in major league baseball, maybe worse.
You mean where teams with low payrolls can make the playoffs with good management?

You mean where teams with low payrolls can make the playoffs with good management?

I think he meant the reality of teams with low payrolls and exceptional management often losing to teams with high payrolls and relatively poor management, with rare exceptions here and there, often resulting in the low payroll team struggling to sustain success.

We are going into the 4th season of NIL. What’s different now compared to 2020? It’s the same factories dominating football and the same basketball schools at the top for the most part.
I believe that the transfer portal and NIL have significantly benefited SU.
The players we are bringing in are beyond anything I could ever imagine in football. Basketball is a bit behind but will catch up. I believe that both programs are going to end up stronger over the next five years than we were in the previous 5 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom