Sure enough, they're going to give away the good home games | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Sure enough, they're going to give away the good home games

The next day, the ACC announced the news publicly. In the news release that announced SU’s move, Cantor said, “We look forward to bringing ACC games to the Big Apple.”

“We haven’t gotten that far, but we absolutely have plans to do that – absolutely,” Cantor said of moving some SU home games to a New York City arena, such as Madison Square Garden.
“I wanted to make sure that (the ACC was) interested in playing competitions in the New York City area, because that’s very important to us,” Cantor said. “We see ourselves as New York’s college team.”
That doesn’t mean fans won’t be able to also catch the North Carolina and Duke games in the Carrier Dome some seasons, she said. “I’m really looking forward to the day we get 60,000 Central New Yorkers in the Carrier Dome for Duke or North Carolina,” Cantor said. SU remains committed to keeping those games at the Dome on a regular basis, she said.

Above is Cantor's quote. She wants to compete in NYC. Cannot tell the way it was written, but she doesn't say MSG, the reporter puts that in. She talks about playing Duke and UNC in the Dome. She said they haven't gotten that far - which means she cannot have plans even though she said she has plans...which can lead one to believe that she is babbling.

There's been talk about the ACC hoops tourney in NYC.
Exactly. She wants to play "competitions" in the New York City area. That doesn't mean home games. That means the ACC tourney that the ACC commish and JB have suggested is a possibility. The only way any of this paranoia is justified is if the question she answered was: "Do you plan to host Syracuse home games in NYC?" I don't know what the question is - the reporter just characterized that him/herself. "Of moving SU home games to a New York City area." Perhaps the question was "Do you plan to have Syracuse plan ACC games in NYC?" In which case, the reporter's characterization is improper.

I will eat my words if I'm wrong, but she never said "We plan to host SU home games at NYC venues." She didn't say that (at least not that I have seen), and we don't know the question she was asked (at least not that I have seen), and it's possible that the reporter did ask that question and she just misinterpreted the question. Until I see that quote... I'm going to assume that JB and Gross' explanation is more than satisfactory to allay our concerns.

Exactly. She wants to play "competitions" in the New York City area. That doesn't mean home games. That means the ACC tourney that the ACC commish and JB have suggested is a possibility. The only way any of this paranoia is justified is if the question she answered was: "Do you plan to host Syracuse home games in NYC?" I don't know what the question is - the reporter just characterized that him/herself. "Of moving SU home games to a New York City area." Perhaps the question was "Do you plan to have Syracuse plan ACC games in NYC?" In which case, the reporter's characterization is improper.

I will eat my words if I'm wrong, but she never said "We plan to host SU home games at NYC venues." She didn't say that (at least not that I have seen), and we don't know the question she was asked (at least not that I have seen), and it's possible that the reporter did ask that question and she just misinterpreted the question. Until I see that quote... I'm going to assume that JB and Gross' explanation is more than satisfactory to allay our concerns.

“We haven’t gotten that far, but we absolutely have plans to do that – absolutely,” Cantor said of moving some SU home games to a New York City arena, such as Madison Square Garden."

And Gross confirmed it the next day as a possibility.

Youre making stuff up now Bees. Unless you bugged the Chancy Nancy- Swofford phone call, you haven't a clue what she promised and don't know anything as fact. And you are nuts if you truly believe our admins would give up Duke or UNC record breakers for a neutral site game.

The Chancellor is simply delusional if she really believes,
“We see ourselves as New York’s college team” and by "New York" she's including NYC.

The Orange have little resonance now in local NYC media and will have none with the ACC move.

MSG might like an annual SU-Duke or SU-Carolina game. I'd like it there, too. But it's not going
to happen on a regular basis.

Far better would be this: an annual 4-game "old school" BE-ACC Showdown.
Syracuse and Pitt come into the Garden. And each of them plays a game against G-town and U-Conn.
Maybe the last week of every year.

That would make NYC-area alumni very happy.
The Garden should be close to full.
And - in the real takeaway from all this - it would do the only thing everyone cares about: make everyone some money.