SU's offensive gameplan | Syracusefan.com

SU's offensive gameplan

Shark58

BANNED
discuss

ZmL17.gif

I'm less concerned with the gameplan and more concerned with our lack of ability in being able to pass yet a bunch of you guys want Battle as a PG and he has the worst assist % of any guard that's played here.

I'm less concerned with the gameplan and more concerned with our lack of ability in being able to pass yet a bunch of you guys want Battle as a PG and he has the worst assist % of any guard that's played here.

I wanted Battle as a pg last year, with Mali at the 2

if the ball is in TB's hands, and we are either sending the wings (assuming we have any) to crash hard, or running aggressive pick and rolls with TT, I'd be fine with that.

realistically, I want a quality pg to distribute the nut to players put in the best position to do something with it, but that really isn't our "gameplan"

I wanted Battle as a pg last year, with Mali at the 2

if the ball is in TB's hands, and we are either sending the wings (assuming we have any) to crash hard, or running aggressive pick and rolls with TT, I'd be fine with that.

realistically, I want a quality pg to distribute the nut to players put in the best position to do something with it, but that really isn't our "gameplan"

What makes people think Battle can play PG? He can't pass.

Our team can't pass.

How many times were TT and Lydon wide open this year and we flat out missed them?

If guys are open I think the offense is working, but we had a minute PG who couldn't throw the ball inside.

I know it's popular to blame the scheme, but I think it's more the skill or lack thereof.

EDIT: I'll add that Malachi is a better passer than Battle and I don't think that's debatable at all. He did a better job creating for others.

If only our experienced coaches knew the "x's and o's" as well as a few guys on our message board, we'd be just like the Golden State Warriors.

They should start learning because we have stunk at offense for a very long time.

They should start learning because we have stunk at offense for a very long time.

We didn't stink offensively just this past year. We were middle of the pack.

Our team can't pass.

How many times were TT and Lydon wide open this year and we flat out missed them?

If guys are open I think the offense is working, but we had a minute PG who couldn't throw the ball inside.

I know it's popular to blame the scheme, but I think it's more the skill or lack thereof.

EDIT: I'll add that Malachi is a better passer than Battle and I don't think that's debatable at all. He did a better job creating for others.

not saying I think TB can run point (or at least be our best option to do so), just saying I wanted to see him do it last year, before Mali jumped

not saying I think TB can run point (or at least be our best option to do so), just saying I wanted to see him do it last year, before Mali jumped

Mali would have been the better PG option between those 2.
He was a pretty solid playmaker, when he wasn't looking to score himself.

Battle has exactly zero PG skills.
As evidenced by the entirety of this past season.

Maybe Melo could help us learn the Triangle?

again, this was my wish before Mali jumped and Battle ever wore Orange

This thread was already dubious but you completely lost me with "distribute the nut." Don't you have a Catalina Wine Mixer to plan?

when I'm in Cali in a couple of weeks I wont be drinking wine

true story

This thread was already dubious but you completely lost me with "distribute the nut." Don't you have a Catalina Wine Mixer to plan?

Great fishing spot. Caught a barracuda there last week. Need to send Gerry there. He will reel in the recruits!

Slash, get easy buckets, and layups. That would be ideal. I'm still in the camp that I'd rather get a layup than chuck threes all game. Yes, we need another shooter to space the floor. If we don't get that then we're gonna have to drive to the basket. Battle may average 20+. I think we will shoot the ball well enough though. Just would like to see better spacing, and passing and I'm happy. Also, this is nothing against the coaches.

Need to run. With Chewy TT Sidbe Moyer Briss we better be going to the hole and crashing the boards

Our team can't pass.

I wish we did a better job setting screens. That is one of my main issues. I agree the passing isn't great and we have missed open people. I'm less concerned about the scheme our coaching staff is using and more concerned about the ability of our coaching staff to have kids improve their fundamentals and develop over time. We have had some who have like CJ Fair and Christmas but also many who seem to show little to no improvement or actually regress.

I wish we did a better job setting screens. That is one of my main issues. I agree the passing isn't great and we have missed open people. I'm less concerned about the scheme our coaching staff is using and more concerned about the ability of our coaching staff to have kids improve their fundamentals and develop over time. We have had some who have like CJ Fair and Christmas but also many who seem to show little to no improvement or actually regress.

Great post.

Slash, get easy buckets, and layups. That would be ideal. I'm still in the camp that I'd rather get a layup than chuck threes all game. Yes, we need another shooter to space the floor. If we don't get that then we're gonna have to drive to the basket. Battle may average 20+. I think we will shoot the ball well enough though. Just would like to see better spacing, and passing and I'm happy. Also, this is nothing against the coaches.

This is true. Part of the reason the offense was actually middle of the pack is because the shooters were plentiful. Still, probably one of the best 3Pt shooting and FT shooting team of the JB era. Maybe the best. But, they were an NIT team. Crazy. Much of it goes back to your post. We barely saw any easy baskets, layups, etc. It literally was pass and a launch or hot potato and a launch from 3. That's not good offense.

maybe they can get lucky enough to hear your expertise. Surprised you have not been hired yet as big time college hoops consultant
I love when people get defensive about this criticism.

Our offense is, and has been, more basic than a white girl in yoga pants at Starbucks.

Doesn't matter whether I expect it to happen or not, but FH needs to mentally mature and improve double fold. Tyus and Taurean will be weapons. Taurean's d needs to improve and I'd like to see Tyus take on more transition opportunities.

Moyer needs to add some lean muscle to the slimmed down frame and help Thompson in the trenches. God willing, Oshae will come in and be able to contribute solid minutes as well as a credible mid ranged game.

We do not have Ayala. We have HW and FH, for our sake I hope FH has a leap. That's not to put down HW, but I think it's obvious he needs time to develop and acclimate. It'd be an absolute shame to see him get Kaleb Joseph'd.

I hope Chukwu's injury mends up nicely and he's able to take another step, I don't think his play earlier last year truly reflects how good he can be.

Our offense? It'll be ugly, but when has it not been since Ennis and Grant left?

Think our offense could improve this year by getting after transition, but we say this every year.

Get ready for Battle to try to carry our team offensively.

Have to hope he stays healthy because he's going to play 40 minutes a night most games.

Expect a lot of possessions to come down to battle bailing us out, just like white did this past year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom