SU's offensive gameplan | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU's offensive gameplan

Think our offense could improve this year by getting after transition, but we say this every year.

It would be great to get Battle some open court run outs, because he could really thrive.

The problem is -- in order to run, you need to either rebound or force turnovers that help you get out in transition. We didn't do either of those things well last year, so without improvement I'm not sure that our ability to get points in transition will be any better.

Last edited:
It would be great to get Battle some open court run outs, because he could really thrive.

The problem is -- in order to run, you need to either rebound or force turnovers that help you get out in transition. We didn't do either of those things well last year, so without improvement I'm not sure that our ability to get points in transition will be any better.

Well, I hope FH can keep his hands up and improve his defense beyond significantly. Our defensive rebounding is looking weak as ever, but who knows what another year can get us out of TT and Paschal. Maybe Moyer or Brissett surprise us with some long needed and overdue downlow grit.

Only given is Chukwu getting us some blocks that could spark a fast break.

We haven't done well in transition since 2013 when we had Triche and mcw up top with athletic wings running the floor

Even tho G and cooney were good on d, not too much transition

Get ready for Battle to try to carry our team offensively.

Have to hope he stays healthy because he's going to play 40 minutes a night most games.

Expect a lot of possessions to come down to battle bailing us out, just like white did this past year.

It's going to be a packed paint for him to get to the basket with the other guys we will have on the floor.

We didn't stink offensively just this past year. We were middle of the pack.
That team won as much as it did primarily because of its offensive firepower. It sure as hell didn't win many games with its defense and rebounding.

Our adjusted offensive ranks over the years

2017: 30 (surprised me we were that good)
2016: 50
2015: 118
2014: 29
2013: 25

Better than I thought actually.

Our adjusted offensive ranks over the years

2017: 30 (surprised me we were that good)
2016: 50
2015: 118
2014: 29
2013: 25

Better than I thought actually.

I didn't think it took to looking at stats to realize that the defense is the real culprit this year, but that doesn't fit the narrative does it?

I didn't think it took to looking at stats to realize that the defense is the real culprit this year, but that doesn't fit the narrative does it?

No one is saying the defense was good this year. But that doesn't fit the narrative does it?

I wish we did a better job setting screens. That is one of my main issues. I agree the passing isn't great and we have missed open people. I'm less concerned about the scheme our coaching staff is using and more concerned about the ability of our coaching staff to have kids improve their fundamentals and develop over time. We have had some who have like CJ Fair and Christmas but also many who seem to show little to no improvement or actually regress.
Yeah, we look lazy to me. We don't fight for the position we want in the floor well at all.

What makes people think Battle can play PG? He can't pass.

Our team can't pass.

How many times were TT and Lydon wide open this year and we flat out missed them?

If guys are open I think the offense is working, but we had a minute PG who couldn't throw the ball inside.

I know it's popular to blame the scheme, but I think it's more the skill or lack thereof.

EDIT: I'll add that Malachi is a better passer than Battle and I don't think that's debatable at all. He did a better job creating for others.

Somebody might've addressed this already in the thread, but if Mal was the better creator/passer than Battle one would think it would show up anywhere in the stats. It doesn't.

Somebody might've addressed this already in the thread, but if Mal was the better creator/passer than Battle one would think it would show up anywhere in the stats. It doesn't.

Mali had a career high 7 assists vs NCState.
And 5 assists against 4 teams: UNC, Fla St, BC, and Pitt.
4 against VaTech.
3 against 6 teams.

(and yes, 2 or 1 or 0 against everybody else)
Malachi Richardson 2015-16 Game Log | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Battle's best was 4 in a game - he achieved that 6x.
(which is honestly better than I thought - I knew he had 4 on occasion, didn't know it was that often)

But a higher % of his games were 2, 1, or 0 than Mali had.
Tyus Battle 2016-17 Game Log | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

It's also the eye test -
Mali had the ability to drive and dish, whereas it seems like the majority of Battle's dimes were simply throwing the ball over to somebody around the perimeter, who then hit a 3.
(not that that's a bad thing - but it's not "playmaking" in the traditional sense)

I think that is the narrative. Defense and rebounding. This was a thread about offense though.

Pick and roll, run battle off double screen, one of those screeners does something. Center stands around doing nothing. Same thing they've been doing recent times. Just a function of player quality.

I think that is the narrative. Defense and rebounding. This was a thread about offense though.

I just have a hard time believing ppl think the offense was bad especially after Gillon was put in the lineup. I mean we win the Louisville and Pitt game on the road if we get stops late and we gave up freaking 90 plus to St Johns and BC.

This is it precisely. Other teams got the shots they wanted against us most of the time. We where fine on offense we just couldn't stop anyone especially on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom