SU's offseason to-do list | Syracusefan.com

SU's offseason to-do list

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
  • More offensive consistency. To be sure, Ryan Nassib and Alec Lemonboth had career years and made strides for the Orange. But a lot of that was because the run game was inconsistent, and Syracuse found itself trailing late in several games. This team has to find a way to sustain drives and score -- Syracuse was No. 7 in the Big East in scoring offense (24.2 ppg).
  • Shore up the defense. The Orange lose some of their best players on the defensive line, and have to get better in the secondary, which was a major problem for most of the year. Syracuse ranked No. 98 in the nation in pass defense, and they lose some key contributors. Shamarko Thomas is really going to have to step up and take control of this group

• http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/58470/big-east-offseason-to-do-lists
Those were hers, what are yours?

Well, sure -- offense, defense and specials. Get more take-aways. And score more points than we give up.

But to be more specific -- right side of the line, a couple of RBs, and a real good slot back; more creative use of our few playmakers; a pass rush; let the LBs grow up; find a safety to go with Sharmarko and the returnees at CB.

\\

If RB situation is OK with talent and depth. Chance to go for one blue chip RB in 2013?

I am actually preparing a well thought out and reasoned post to discuss what I feel needs to be done on the offensive side of the ball in order to improve. Despite the great wisdom and insight found in the post, I look forward to the ideas being ignored, or at best, reviled.

I don't care as much about the defense.

Start the rumored facilities renovation ASAFP. Get going on the new practice facility also. Build build build and deck deck deck.

Hire coaches who can sell the program, overcoming the facilities obstacle.

Cultivate leaders on the team who will whip everyone into shape.

Everything else will work itself out.

Have Hunt and Bryold duke it out for backup. Who ever wins gets a few snaps every game...

Have Hunt and Bryold duke it out for backup. Who ever wins gets a few snaps every game...
Hopefully we can get someone in as a change of pace QB for more than just a snap or two. Time to start grooming the heir apparent. For two years we have been afraid of running Ryan for fear of him getting injured. The staff thought enough of five other quarterbacks to give them scholarships. It's time for someone other than Nassib to start earning their keep.

• More offensive consistency. To be sure, Ryan Nassib and Alec Lemonboth had career years and made strides for the Orange. But a lot of that was because the run game was inconsistent, and Syracuse found itself trailing late in several games. This team has to find a way to sustain drives and score -- Syracuse was No. 7 in the Big East in scoring offense (24.2 ppg).
  • Shore up the defense. The Orange lose some of their best players on the defensive line, and have to get better in the secondary, which was a major problem for most of the year. Syracuse ranked No. 98 in the nation in pass defense, and they lose some key contributors. Shamarko Thomas is really going to have to step up and take control of this group

• http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/58470/big-east-offseason-to-do-lists

I don't presume to know the x's and the o's.

But based upon what I saw this past fall and based upon what Marrone has said since the season concluded here is what I think we need.

We need more big plays.

We need more +20 plays on offense and we need more big plays on defense - more turnovers and sacks.

We need to continue to get bigger, longer and faster. I think this class adds to that calculus.

I am hopeful, as others have observed, that a young QB with feet breaks out of the pack and requires playing time.

I can't wait for February 1 and can't wait for spring practice.

I'll be there with you more often this spring Mr. Eyes!!!!

I don't presume to know the x's and the o's.

But based upon what I saw this past fall and based upon what Marrone has said since the season concluded here is what I think we need.

We need more big plays.

We need more +20 plays on offense and we need more big plays on defense - more turnovers and sacks.

We need to continue to get bigger, longer and faster. I think this class adds to that calculus.

I am hopeful, as others have observed, that a young QB with feet breaks out of the pack and requires playing time.

I can't wait for February 1 and can't wait for spring practice.

I'll be there with you more often this spring Mr. Eyes!!!!
Cool, looking forward to sharing observations with you.

Charlie would have another year left, why not see if he can play?

Loeb and Nassib are the same type of QB. I'd rather see Hunt or Broyld who are dual threats. It doesn't make much sense to switch between two QB's with the same play style in the same game. Hunt and Broyld will provide a change of pace. Similar to Nassib coming in for Paulus.

Im not sure about that Borno. Charlie is the best pure passer on the team not even a close second. His problem has been progressions/reads. Charlie was clearly second string last year not sure about Hunt as i havnt seen him throw in person. It is too bad that Loeb didnt get some game experiance last year.

If Loeb had enough talent to play he would have played this past season...he'll never play here.

Back to the original question, team has to develop depth. There needs to be competition on the team next year. Offensive line was pathetic at times last year and the same five guys took every snap. I hope this is because of the youth and injuries among the backups. People need to be accountable for their play. Depth provides competition which adds motivation which leads to better play.

. ... Offensive line was pathetic at times last year and the same five guys took every snap. I hope this is because of the youth and injuries among the backups. .. .
For 2011, OL was set in stone early in the Spring practices with Macky as the new center and 4 returning starters. Youth and injuries were factors, but it seemed like Marrone preferred stability in the OL over any benefit from rotating guys into the first unit.
There are 6 candidates for two open spots on the right side, if Marrone considers C and the left side as still set in stone. We have more depth -- but we will have to see what approach the staff wants to take when they have that opportunity to mix it up.

Im not sure about that Borno. Charlie is the best pure passer on the team not even a close second. His problem has been progressions/reads. Charlie was clearly second string last year not sure about Hunt as i havnt seen him throw in person. It is too bad that Loeb didnt get some game experiance last year.
Well if you can't figure out how to make progressions, you aren't going to play. And I'd say Nassib's more accurate than Loeb.

Well if you can't figure out how to make progressions, you aren't going to play. And I'd say Nassib's more accurate than Loeb.
Based on what? Have you been to practice? No attitude meant, just wondering.

Well, he's also said to have a slow-as-molasses release. That's the kind of thing that gets a kid killed in the pocket.

true but he is the most accurate passer and throws a really good deep ball