Symir Torrence 2.0 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Symir Torrence 2.0

Impressed me on that lighting quick drive to the basket in the second half but that three-point attempt...woof! Not sure what to make of his form. Reminds me of little kids shooting hoops before they have the strength to shoot a true jumpshot.

Impressed me on that lighting quick drive to the basket in the second half but that three-point attempt...woof! Not sure what to make of his form. Reminds me of little kids shooting hoops before they have the strength to shoot a true jumpshot.
He's a tense kind of guy and is even more tense given his situation of having to prove himself. He will loosen up and find his stroke as he gets more comfortable.

Symir is best to take a Josh Pace approach to shooting right now. He will need another Summer to work on the jump shot but this year it's about driving, the floater, distributing and defending.

Agreed. That's a total tear-down job. Tweaks won't fix it.

Nope they won't. Josh never got his fixed and it didn't matter. Master what you are good at and add where you can. His FT stroke looks ok and the other elements are fine. I'm going with him having a Frank Howard freshman year in terms of 3 pt shooting numbers.

Which part, finding his stroke?

Be Safe GIF by NASCAR on NBC

Last night he showed that he is a guy that can help us.

Outside of his handle, breaking defenders down, and playing facilitator well - I even saw him playing D as a wing in the zone for a minute last night and JB even mentioned in the presser that he might “play 3 guards at times.”

He’s an interesting piece. Look forward to watching this team meld together.

Last night he showed that he is a guy that can help us.

Outside of his handle, breaking defenders down, and playing facilitator well - I even saw him playing D as a wing in the zone for a minute last night and JB even mentioned in the presser that he might “play 3 guards at times.”

He’s an interesting piece. Look forward to watching this team meld together.
He just has to shoot well enough from the outside that the defense can't leave him alone. He will do that.

I was impressed with Symir's game last night. He certainly passes the "looks" test. He is a rangy athletic guard who brings some athleticism to the position that we don't get with Buddy and Joe. I was impressed with his ability to create and get to the rim last night. The big question is obviously, given his form and mechanics, will he be able to consistently hit jump shots? Hopefully for his sake and the team, the answer is yes.

I was impressed with Symir's game last night. He certainly passes the "looks" test. He is a rangy athletic guard who brings some athleticism to the position that we don't get with Buddy and Joe. I was impressed with his ability to create and get to the rim last night. The big question is obviously, given his form and mechanics, will he be able to consistently hit jump shots? Hopefully for his sake and the team, the answer is yes.

From what I've seen with Buddy and Cole I don't see where Symir needs to right now. Teams will have to defend the PNR and the lob downlow along with not letting Buddy and Cole stay open. Symir will just have to win 1v1.

When you screen properly you aren't going to allow the opposing PG to simply just sag on Symir. If you use Jesse on the screen and the defense switches, then Jesse has a smaller guy in the paint and either someone switches off to help leaving a shooter open or Symir takes on the big guy and gets into the lane. This offense asks a lot of a defense. So while in theory he needs to prove he can hit an outside shot here and there, in practice he will have ample opportunity to just play to his strengths with so much attention elsewhere.

What Symir can't do is play tentative. Come in and be aggressive pushing the ball, pressuring at the top of the zone and be extremely active. If a team presses us and it's not a good matchup for Joe he needs to come in and change the dynamic.

Or teams could try and zone us... And we have a field day with a weak zone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom