Symir Torrence transferring to Binghamton | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Symir Torrence transferring to Binghamton

Didn't his father want Tyus to come to Syracuse?

Gary Battle is THE reason Tyus came to Syracuse.

He had committed to Michigan (musta fallen in love with those IPF bricks),
but his pops put a hard veto on that, and bade him reconsider.

Whatever folks may or may not feel about Gary Battle, just imagine those Tyus Battle seasons at Cuse -
Without Tyus.

< shudder >

We’re talking “not ten f€><ng games!” sorta seasons.

The starting two, yes. That second two is a big drop off.
I don't think we'll find anyone willing to come off the bench who wouldn't be a big drop off from JJ and Judah. They are two 2024 first rounders. And, they'll play the vast majority of minutes.

Quadir will shock people. He'll be our starting PG at some point. And JT will be a really good shooter who would benefit by playing with athletes who can create open looks for him. 3 point shooting might be something we need next year off the bench. Another good thing about these two are they're both big enough to play 1-3 so they can find minutes.

Were he to stay Symir might have his best season coming off the bench and pushing tempo, maybe pressing some. He could've been useful. He was never particularly bad but he just didn't really move the needle.

If Dwayne Killings doesn't get fired from UAlbany, look for that as a potential landing spot. Former Marquette associate head coach.
If he hasn’t been fired yet, I kind of doubt it will happen until they suck again next year.

Whatever folks may or may not feel about Gary Battle, just imagine those Tyus Battle seasons at Cuse -
Without Tyus.

< shudder >

I have Tyus in my top ten favorite Orangemen list.

Yep, the guys reallllllly wanted to go after Justin Powell and Griff wanted to go after Charlie Moore. Now, it was going to be an extremely hard sell because Joe and Buddy were here and Symir knew the deal but yeah, they were wanting to upgrade the guard positon
I mean, I knew it all along just watching how JB dealt with his sons, Joe, and Symir etc...and all the players transferring out and all the recruits flirting but not coming...it was aggravating to see the coach kinda just make decisions without prioritizing WINNING...things really got twisted around towards the end of JB's tenure...from roster building, to depth chart, to sub patterns, refusal to change approach/strategy etc etc...

it boggles my mind what he was actually thinking because I know he wants to win a lot but maybe not as much as he pretended...

I guess at the end JB would rather spend his time around "good people" than winners...and thought he was untouchable enough to make those kinds of bizarre preferences repeatedly.

it was obivous...but its still annoying when I think about it.

Last edited:

Without Tyus.

< shudder >

Off-thread, but I have to sneak in highlights of Tyus' performance at CI against Duke - epic.

Last edited:
Not sure we want or need Battle 2.0 here if we are moving away from ISO ball.

I want the ball in Judah’s hands. Not someone with a poor assist rate.

Who’s next? I really want Taylor to stay but he may be the odd duck out

Great kid wish him the best he just doesn't have much of an offensive game , Red is going to crush it with any available scholarships he can use and then bring in an assistant coach who can recruit and develop players and we will be heading back to the top 20 program we should be.
YesSir that was a hell of a start getting JJ Starling and and I had no idea that he was that good, being a top 20 5star kid.

Wow so that is very impressive being the very 1st day, wasted no time and that makes me very happy because he obviously feels very comfortable with red autrey and and that's why I like the fact that he's a player's coach, charismatic and I just can't wait to see how he coaches on the X and o's side.

But i know for a fact, he'll be much more flexible in terms of making adjustments and that is the biggest thing that I critiqued in JB That is a huge change for the better for me and I'm sure for many others.

I have no doubt in my mind that if mintz Comes back, he will be the point guard and JJ will be the shooting guard and that is Going to lead to some awesome basketball and definitely the best duo With our starting guards that I can remember in a while.

I mean Autrey is not stupid enough when he played the position, number one and obviously why change something that worked so well with Judah as a freshman

Love his attitude. I was super excited when he transferred from Marquette.
Based on everything I saw - on TV and in-person - he just doesn't have a key attribute/capability.
His +/- vs GT in Atlanta was great - +18 - but it wasn't as if he did anything on the floor.
In 10-13 minutes per game, he scored 2.5 points (generally speaking) and had 1.5 assists. (yeah a little higher/lower more assists last year etc.)

I really think jb handcuffed him a ton. He was easily our best defender although Judah had more steals. He could score in the paint but jb didn’t want him to which is weird. Sucks to lose him.

Had to look it up, but it appears Tyus is not currently playing professionally, with his most recent stint in Israel last year.

He had a boot on at the TBT last year I think Achilles? Not surprised if he is still in recovery mode.

Symir was maybe a rated a bit high coming out of HS. All that aside couldn't ask for a better kid, teammate or ambassador of SU basketball. I hope he finds a great landing spot and a great final year while quickly then finding his way back as maybe a GA under Red. His energy and court awareness screams future coach. He honestly to me is a name I would watch closely for a quick rise as a coach if he goes that route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom