Syracuse’s big basketball Class of 2022 is trickling into town: ‘Everyone’s super excited’ | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse’s big basketball Class of 2022 is trickling into town: ‘Everyone’s super excited’

Well I just wasted some of my life reading this nonsense. We had a player in high school who had an absolutely perfect jump shot. Never played and never made a shot. Ever. Too much time on your hands to argue about this before he has ever played a scrimmage.

As has been said earlier, let the player play in a game before one criticizes him. Believe that the coaching staff will help work out any kinks that he may have or they may see.

As has been said earlier, let the player play in a game before one criticizes him. Believe that the coaching staff will help work out any kinks that he may have or they may see.
Agree with this sentiment about waiting to see how the player responds and plays at this level before speaking in absolutes. Benny is the most recent example of that (still think he is way better than he has shown).

In general, I can say from experience that tweaking a player's jump shot or "working out any kinks" is way, way more difficult and time intensive than many here think. To a somewhat lesser degree, so is improving a player's handle. I anticipate that there will be examples cited of player X who was able to improve this kind of stuff, and that's true. It's just not the norm to see significant improvements, despite the exceptions.

One of them down low in the zone? Or man to man? Or a different type of zone?
Taylor would have his work cut out for him at the bottom of the Zone.

I know Joe is going to start and he should however the lineup that i believe gives us the best chance to win is with Mintz at the point Taylor at the 2 Benny and Bunch at forward and Jesse

Agree with this sentiment about waiting to see how the player responds and plays at this level before speaking in absolutes. Benny is the most recent example of that (still think he is way better than he has shown).

In general, I can say from experience that tweaking a player's jump shot or "working out any kinks" is way, way more difficult and time intensive than many here think. To a somewhat lesser degree, so is improving a player's handle. I anticipate that there will be examples cited of player X who was able to improve this kind of stuff, and that's true. It's just not the norm to see significant improvements, despite the exceptions.
Yeah, some guys can do it and some guys can't.

I will say that generally a guy's shot can improve on terms of result with the form they have while in college, but retooling mechanics doesn't happen until the pros.

If Jim can put these freshman pieces together and come out with something competitive in the ACC, then he's still "got it."
If we’re competitive he still “got it”? That’s unacceptable, he has one of the best centers in the league, a senior guard starter and a top flight point guard coming in along with a mix of freshman. If we don’t win 20 games it would be a disappointing year to say the least.

Maybe it’s the angle and the sun hitting my phone, but his shot doesn’t seem to have much arch on it. Good thing is that he’s not missing, really don’t care how it looks as long as it goes in consistently.

I know Joe is going to start and he should however the lineup that i believe gives us the best chance to win is with Mintz at the point Taylor at the 2 Benny and Bunch at forward and Jesse
And who’s rebounding? If they focus on Jesse, then the breakthrough has to come from Benny.
Much like last season, if Benny comes through we’ll have a decent season. If he proves last year was the norm, we’ll be in deep doo doo.
As always, I’ll trust the old man to get it sorted out. And yes…I still have faith in him. LGO

No doubt the coaches will tweak something with every player, that’s what coaches do. They may tweak Bunch’s jumper, Taylor’s handle, etc etc.

That’s kind of talking out of both sides of your mouth. Joe should start but we’re better off with him on the bench? I don’t know how you take a kid that was 1st in the ACC in 3 pt %, 2nd in FT % (to Buddy) 6th in APG and 6th in SPG and say we’re better with him on the bench. We don’t have a bunch of Melos coming in. I do think Joe will play a few mins less this year.

just have to wait and see on the shooting...Buddy only shot 34% from 3 last year fwiw.

so if his replacement shoots 30%, say, which is pretty low...and the defense is much improved, the team will likely be better.

3pt shooting is nice...but its not everything.
Can't over value the threat of Buddy on the defense and how it opened things up for others.

Rodney.jpg

Can't over value the threat of Buddy on the defense and how it opened things up for others.
well we'll have to see. swider buddy and jg3 certainly did put unique pressure on defenses they faced...and i think if edwards doesnt go down last season wouldve ended a lot differently.

but at the same time, the lack of any dribble drive penetration seriously hampered last year's offense. I dont think you can undersell how much that made things so difficult on the scorers. it basically locked everything into iso offense

so...yeah buddy "opened up the offense" but no one was consistently getting open looks last year. i do think the triple threat of swider, buddy and jg3 was hard to guard...but im not sold that losing buddy will be a calamity for this year's team bc they will now be able to drive and dish and will be much more athletic overall. which will open so many types of plays that last years team simply could not execute.

Bunch has a bit of a push-shot but who cares? Guys with worse form are good shooters in the league

With no defense

Agree his release is low and you see it a lot these days. Certain guys who have a quick release and shoot off the dribble can get away with it as Bees said Trae Young. The dip is a bit different. The concern will be when shooting spot up 3's at the next level ( college and even worse at the NBA) is a lot of these bigs can get to your shot on close outs and block or at a minimum effect it severely. ( Guys like Timelord, even Draymond or Herb Jones for the Pels who has great length. I seem to remember Hakim Warrick had a decent block years ago versus Kansas in this scenario) I tend to think this is a result of kids at age 10 jacking up 3's when they aren't really ready to shoot from that far and grooving bad habits. If you look at a guy like JJ Reddick coming off a screen his release was text book and it was lightning quick. Buddy also has a beautiful release and gets his shot off quick off a screen. GMAC had a quick and high release point as well. The margin for error is very small with how athletic some of these bigs and wing defenders are. I seem to remember watching something on Steph where he had to change his release when he got to college because of bad habits he developed in his youth. Slow and low release points are not good regardless of how tall the individual

Just an old man commentary and I will go back to yelling at clouds and trimming my lawn with a pair of scissors

Last edited:
Don’t we have any paparazzi on campus? I want to see some pictures of our new recruits enjoying campus.

Agree his release is low and you see it a lot these days. Certain guys who have a quick release and shoot off the dribble can get away with it as Bees said Trae Young. The dip is a bit different. The concern will be when shooting spot up 3's at the next level ( college and even worse at the NBA) is a lot of these bigs can get to your shot on close outs and block or at a minimum effect it severely. ( Guys like Timelord, even Draymond or Herb Jones for the Pels who has great length. I seem to remember Hakim Warrick had a decent block years ago versus Kansas in this scenario) I tend to think this is a result of kids at age 10 jacking up 3's when they aren't really ready to shoot from that far and grooving bad habits. If you look at a guy like JJ Reddick coming off a screen his release was text book and it was lightning quick. Buddy also has a beautiful release and gets his shot off quick off a screen. GMAC had a quick and high release point as well. The margin for error is very small with how athletic some of these bigs and wing defenders are. I seem to remember watching something on Steph where he had to change his release when he got to college because of bad habits he developed in his youth. Slow and low release points are not good regardless of how tall the individual

Just an old man commentary and I will go back to yelling at clouds and trimming my lawn with a pair of scissors
I don’t know who “Timelord” is, but he sounds amazing & I want him on the Knicks no matter what!

I don’t know who “Timelord” is, but he sounds amazing & I want him on the Knicks no matter what!
Nickname for Robert Williams of the Celtics. He got the nickname at least partially for oversleeping and missing his introductory press conference after getting drafted with their first round pick. It was first coined on Sons of Sam Horn.

The pick worked out ok, in spite of his major early gaff.

Timelords is a terrible nickname imo