Syracuse’s big basketball Class of 2022 is trickling into town: ‘Everyone’s super excited’ | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse’s big basketball Class of 2022 is trickling into town: ‘Everyone’s super excited’

Forward minutes also depend on whether Copeland is kept exclusively at guard or not. Guard minutes will be very limited for him. His size and handle and what he does on defense could certainly add another guy into the mix for a 4th forward competing..

This is a total hypothetical of course but kid seems he can rebound a little.

I could see Copeland being used kind of like Josh Pace. A change of pace guy, kind of on the 2nd unit, who created unique matchup problems and specialized in getting shots close to the rim.

Yeah not sure how this is being missed so often. He drew a lot of attention.

Plus only two proven scorers on a team coming off a horrible year defensively is a concern. We have to be better and I mean much better on D.

Joe will get the GMac senior year treatment if we don't have more shooters/scorers on the floor.

Somebody like Swider would look good on this team.
Or somebody like C.J. Fair from the transfer portal. Somebody who can hit a 3, board and get to the rim.

Somebody like Swider would look good on this team.
Or somebody like C.J. Fair from the transfer portal. Somebody who can hit a 3, board and get to the rim.
I believe we need to realize and accept this is not going to happen. We have our team. I too would love an experienced 4. Not happening.

Lets be happy. (See List Below) Postive outlook is in vogue at present. I'll wait until December before yelling at the TV in frustration. LOL
  • We have a Top 20 Recruiting Class
  • Two returning starters that averaged 10+ per game
  • Returning Center who could dominate games for us
  • Point Guard (first one in 4 years)
  • Hall of Fame Coach ==> Aged 77+ but still better than 99% of whats out there.
  • and last but not least Joe Girard (who by the way had a better Jr. Year Than Trevor Cooney as a Sr.)

I could see Copeland being used kind of like Josh Pace. A change of pace guy, kind of on the 2nd unit, who created unique matchup problems and specialized in getting shots close to the rim.
hmm interesting. I think this would be good role for him this year. I was thinking more Scoop/Dion type role, but this would be better.

Wish I could like this 1,000 times! He probably will not win the PG job this season and won't be one of our best 3 pt shooters but 6'6" guys with his ball skills end up on the court, if he can play defense.

Bunch's low release was the first thing I noticed about him. I'm no expert but I would think that if the ball stays in front of you, you are going to have a hard time getting a shot off if the defender is 'on' you. If it's wide open, you can still make it. If the ball is from your shoulder up, you can shoot over the defender if you are 6-8 as Bunche is.

But I also noticed that Bunch was quick and athletic and loved making those 'help' defense blocks, especially from behind as Alan Griffin did and Wes Johnson did. But I think he'll have trouble scoring as much as they did.

Bunch's low release was the first thing I noticed about him. I'm no expert but I would think that if the ball stays in front of you, you are going to have a hard time getting a shot off if the defender is 'on' you. If it's wide open, you can still make it. If the ball is from your shoulder up, you can shoot over the defender if you are 6-8 as Bunche is.

But I also noticed that Bunch was quick and athletic and loved making those 'help' defense blocks, especially from behind as Alan Griffin did and Wes Johnson did. But I think he'll have trouble scoring as much as they did.

You’re comparing walruses and oranges.

Wes & Eli were both RS Sophomores before they ever took the floor in a game in Orange.

Bunch is a true Frosh.
And we only have HS film to go on.

Not fair to compare him to guys who were in their 3rd year of college, and both had a full season of practice at Cuse to learn the zone, work w coaches & teammates, etc.

Wes & Eli were both RS Sophomores before they ever took the floor in a game in Orange.

Bunch is a true Frosh.

Not fair to compare him to guys who were in their 3rd year of college, and both had a full season of practice at Cuse to learn the zone, work w coaches & teammates, etc.

Changing your shot mechanics will hurt your success rate, short-term.

The old adage is if it goes in regularly don’t change the shot. Let’s say Bunch Gets 1/3 of his shots blocked because of low release puts up 9 shots makes 5 of the 6 not blocked I’ll take it every game.

Lets be happy. (See List Below) Postive outlook is in vogue at present. I'll wait until December before yelling at the TV in frustration. LOL
  • and last but not least Joe Girard (who by the way had a better Jr. Year Than Trevor Cooney as a Sr.)
Foxtv GIF by Empire FOX

Bunch is a true Frosh.

I was comparing his athleticism and penchant for blocking shots, including from behind. The rest of his game is behind theirs, as you would expect at this point.

How many three point shots do you see get blocked during the season? There’s a better chance he gets fouled than blocked.

I'm more concerned about his ability to attempt a shot when he keeps the ball in front of him like that. A defender who keeps contact could force him to pass it off rather than shoot.

I'm more concerned about his ability to attempt a shot when he keeps the ball in front of him like that. A defender who keeps contact could force him to pass it off rather than shoot.

He shoot’s from the forehead which is perfectly acceptable. A lot of the current thinking is a lower release point without a lot of lift to get the shot off quicker to combat players that run at you. If a defender is in your face, it doesn’t matter where your release point is, you’re probably not taking the shot.

On offense. Not overall though. Defense counts. We went to the final 4 in Cooney’s senior year.

so he will only be shooting 3s if he is wide open?? sounds good to me!!!

(contested 3s are the worst)

I was comparing his athleticism and penchant for blocking shots, including from behind. The rest of his game is behind theirs, as you would expect at this point.

I hope teams play him that tight. If they do, we will have opportunities to get Jessie the ball and penetrate to the rim.