Syracuse AD John Wildhack says SU sticking with Jim Boeheim's retirement plan | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse AD John Wildhack says SU sticking with Jim Boeheim's retirement plan

Caught that today (can't read tweets) on one of the radio shows. Wildhack seemed convincing because he seemingly gave Boeheim and Hopkins equal footing in terms of being part of this town for so long in different ways. No guarantee, but he is somewhat more local (or regional) than his predecessor.

Yeah Boeheim still has free will. If he decided to step down after this year, it wouldn't be a big problem for SU and this deal doesn't preclude it. Further, if he wanted to stay, his biggest consideration would be Hopkins, not this deal.

All Wildhack said is that the university intends to honor the deal. That is tantamount to saying "we have no intention of firing coach Boeheim at the end of this season."

This is a non-event.

Yeah Boeheim still has free will. If he decided to step down after this year, it wouldn't be a big problem for SU and this deal doesn't preclude it. Further, if he wanted to stay, his biggest consideration would be Hopkins, not this deal.

All Wildhack said is that the university intends to honor the deal. That is tantamount to saying "we have no intention of firing coach Boeheim at the end of this season."

This is a non-event.
I agree with what you are saying, but how does this not hurt recruiting?

This is a non-event.
You are DEAD WRONG

coach wants to stay more than next year and he will not be allowed to

You are DEAD WRONG

Okaaay. I left out the possibility of him wanting to stay but not being allowed to. Still nothing was said along those lines. Simply that they would honor the deal. If they had asked him "Can coach stay longer than the end of next year." and he said "no" then that would be news. This is not.

You are DEAD WRONG

I find it very hard to believe that SU would run off James Arthur Boeheim whose name is on the court and who is the most successful coach in the history of the university. In addition and no doubt more importantly, he has left an even greater stamp on the community.

Okaaay. I left out the possibility of him wanting to stay but not being allowed to. Still nothing was said along those lines. Simply that they would honor the deal. If they had asked him "Can coach stay longer than the end of next year." and he said "no" then that would be news. This is not.
You just failed to listen I'm telling you beyond a shadow of a doubt there's reimbursement and repercussions directly to Hopkins if he stays after next year and that's a fact

I find it very hard to believe that SU would run off James Arthur Boeheim whose name is on the court and who is the most successful coach in the history of the university. In addition and no doubt more importantly, he has left an even greater stamp on the community.
I know it to be the reality

You just failed to listen I'm telling you beyond a shadow of a doubt there's reimbursement and repercussions directly to Hopkins if he stays after next year and that's a fact

I'm not sure why you are arguing with me. It seems like you have some info on this and want to ram it down people's throats. Fine. I haven't disputed anything you've said. Preach on my man.

I'm not sure why you are arguing with me. It seems like you have some info on this and want to ram it down people's throats. Fine. I haven't disputed anything you've said. Preach on my man.
This is news just few know it. That's all I'm trying to say.

20plus is right on all counts.

20plus is right on all counts.
So you are saying Boeheim wants to stay but is not being allowed because of money owed Hopkins. I'm not disputing, just trying to understand.

I get the financials involved - but if JB still has it, it will be hard to see him go.

Does Boeheim want to stay longer because he's sad to go out on what will amount to one of the lowest points in program history? Or was he always of the "I want to stay longer but you aren't letting me" mindset and 2018 was a decision made FOR him?

I imagine he's probably not thrilled that sanctions have marred the entirety of his retirement plan and we're probably looking at 3 missed tournaments in 4 years to end his coaching tenure.

Maybe JB needs the money. You never know what outside influences impact these kind of situations - lifestyle, medical expenses, etc.

So you are saying Boeheim wants to stay but is not being allowed because of money owed Hopkins. I'm not disputing, just trying to understand.
As I understand it, jb wants to stay. Asked if he could and was told no. And the reason that was give was the $$ owed to Hopkins in the event that he is not the head coach in two years.