Syracuse AD John Wildhack says SU sticking with Jim Boeheim's retirement plan | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse AD John Wildhack says SU sticking with Jim Boeheim's retirement plan

So you are saying Boeheim wants to stay but is not being allowed because of money owed Hopkins. I'm not disputing, just trying to understand.
20plus is correct. This is all accurate. Jim wants to stay longer, as of now, but that is not going to be allowed. Next year will be the end of an Era. Hopefully we can make the tourney.

You just failed to listen I'm telling you beyond a shadow of a doubt there's reimbursement and repercussions directly to Hopkins if he stays after next year and that's a fact
20plus, with how you are describing this situation, it sure seems like JB and Hop may not be on the same footing. I would think Hop is more than ready to be the head man, and JB wanting to stay, (albeit not being let too) has got to be causing a bit of friction there, no?

As I understand it, jb wants to stay. Asked if he could and was told no. And the reason that was give was the $$ owed to Hopkins in the event that he is not the head coach in two years.
I wonder if this was a I might not be ready to go and would like to discuss staying or a I want to stay and a no you can't. I don't think it's Boeheim's style and he wants Hop to be successful but if Boeheim said publically he was interested in staying past this next season I wonder what the response would be.

pretty easy to fix.. JB goes he gets no salary.. JB stays he get salary cut to whatever it takes to pay Hopkins what he would have made as HC.. I have to believe Hop is starting at less than JB is ending at.. No extra money required at all.

pretty easy to fix.. JB goes he gets no salary.. JB stays he get salary cut to whatever it takes to pay Hopkins what he would have made as HC.. I have to believe Hop is starting at less than JB is ending at.. No extra money required at all.
It's hard to say because Boeheim has gotten like one raise in the last 20 years. There is a difference between him having interest in staying and him adamantly wanting to stay.

I wonder if this was a I might not be ready to go and would like to discuss staying or a I want to stay and a no you can't. I don't think it's Boeheim's style and he wants Hop to be successful but if Boeheim said publically he was interested in staying past this next season I wonder what the response would be.
Not sure but I think it would be no. It's time to move on. Very tough to do.

SU's loss could be ESPN's gain. With his dry wit and basketball acumen, I believe he'd be a big hit as either a color man or studio analyst. Most college basketball fans are unaware of those aspects of JB and I'll bet he'll gain a lot of newfound respect when he starts doing national broadcasts.

I bet a three man team of McDonough, Bilas and Boeheim would be awesome.

We're going to let Jim Boeheim leave, if he wants to stay, because of a money dispute? Really? Boeheim has been fabulously underpaid vs his contemporaries for many many many years.

If Jim wants to stay, let him. If it becomes a money issue find more. The school has gotten away with larceny with the amt they paid him vs his success. If Mike doesn't like this additional time then he should knock on the door in Chestnut Hill again and see if they will take him this time.

This sounds like agendas for mike hopkins. I like Mike alot personally but this is foolish IMO

We're going to let Jim Boeheim leave, if he wants to stay, because of a money dispute? Really? Boeheim has been fabulously underpaid vs his contemporaries for many many many years.

If Jim wants to stay, let him. If it becomes a money issue find more. The school has gotten away with larceny with the amt they paid him vs his success. If Mike doesn't like this additional time then he should knock on the door in Chestnut Hill again and see if they will take him this time.

This sounds like agendas for mike hopkins. I like Mike alot personally but this is foolish IMO
We are letting him leave because it's time. Money is just a convenient reason to give. What do u want them to say, he was fired?

As I understand it, jb wants to stay. Asked if he could and was told no. And the reason that was give was the $$ owed to Hopkins in the event that he is not the head coach in two years.

Sounds like window dressing to me. I just think Boeheim has gotten too grumpy with the kids and the media, and that is part of the problem with the program's trajectory these past few years.

Since it appears you're in the know, what do you know about the status on the Dome renovations? :) That, imo, has a much larger impact long term on whether SU will compete moving forward in the ACC than the Hop/JB transition.

I think that by reading between the lines, they haven't raised the necessary money to get it going.

We're starting to get into Bobby Bowden territory with JB. People need to realize that. Mike may be Jimbo Fisher, or he may not. But it's time for a change.

We are letting him leave because it's time. Money is just a convenient reason to give. What do u want them to say, he was fired?
Fired? It's time? I know you have only been a fan since just before Christmas but this is ridiculous. I think people that believe that once Hopkins is in that we will get better players that we're going to U.K., start playing the best offensive basketball on earth and finally play zone half the time to great success are kidding themselves. We will look back 5 years from now and reminisce about how good we had it.

We're starting to get into Bobby Bowden territory with JB. People need to realize that. Mike may be Jimbo Fisher, or he may not. But it's time for a change.
It's a good thing the Jimbo Fisher thing happened because there is no other example to make your point.

Fired? It's time? I know you have only been a fan since just before Christmas but this is ridiculous. I think people that believe that once Hopkins is in that we will get better players that we're going to U.K., start playing the best offensive basketball on earth and finally play zone half the time to great success are kidding themselves. We will look back 5 years from now and reminisce about how good we had it.
That may be true, but my concern is the fact that JB is 72 years old. His shelf life may be more than next year, but it's not 10 years. The transition will be hard, and hopefully successful with Hop, but its going to happen soon. I think we need to push through sooner than later, so we can be in a situation like AZ is now, with a young coach who is already creating his own legacy.

Time for what? Time for SU basketball to take a big step down.
When Jimbo took over at FSU, they were so far beyond the league that it gave him time to figure things out and still be good. They wouldn't do that now. And for sure Syracuse basketball is not in that position. Any lost ground will be very hard to make up.

It's a good thing the Jimbo Fisher thing happened because there is no other example to make your point.

Tom Izzo says hello.

Our best recruiting stories are the 4 year developmental types (CJ Fair, Rak, Scoop, etc) that have really made our program go in the modern era. Harder to get those type of kids in this situation. And the one and done guys we've had weren't recruited to be so.

Honestly it's a testament to JB's greatness that this situation has been managed as well as it's been (throw in the NCAA stuff).

When Jimbo took over at FSU, they were so far beyond the league that it gave him time to figure things out and still be good. They wouldn't do that now. And for sure Syracuse basketball is not in that position. Any lost ground will be very hard to make up.
But you arguing that we are behind even with JB, so unless he steps down and Jay Wright jumps on board, the transition needs to happen at some point. Life after JB is imminent. Another few years is probably not going to make much of a difference, considering the results we have seen over the last few years. Perhaps, the sanctions coming off the table would help JB get back to 30 win seasons. If so, than I stand corrected. Either way, we need to see what we have in Hop. He's been promised a shot, and paid to protect that chance. If he's a bust, we need to get through it asap. If not, then the next era begins.

7-6, 7-6, 9-4, 7-6.

Revisionist history. Bobby Bowden's last 5 years yielded a 38-27 overall record (before wins were vacated), and in his last 4 years, he was 10-16 vs. the ACC. He clearly hung on too long, and they were not still clearly better than the rest of the ACC at that point.

Tom Izzo says hello.

Our best recruiting stories are the 4 year developmental types (CJ Fair, Rak, Scoop, etc) that have really made our program go in the modern era. Harder to get those type of kids in this situation. And the one and done guys we've had weren't recruited to be so.

Honestly it's a testament to JB's greatness that this situation has been managed as well as it's been (throw in the NCAA stuff).
Izzo was lucky that IU and MU were in a down cycle most of his career. I look at the ACC and see so many old dog coaches and serious up and comers, no place to cut your teeth.

Izzo was lucky that IU and MU were in a down cycle most of his career. I look at the ACC and see so many old dog coaches and serious up and comers, no place to cut your teeth.

I don't think Roy, K, Pitino, Larranega are long for it either.