Syracuse AD John Wildhack says SU sticking with Jim Boeheim's retirement plan | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse AD John Wildhack says SU sticking with Jim Boeheim's retirement plan

Revisionist history. Bobby Bowden's last 5 years yielded a 38-27 overall record (before wins were vacated), and in his last 4 years, he was 10-16 vs. the ACC. He clearly hung on too long, and they were not still clearly better than the rest of the ACC at that point.
They still were loaded with NFL talent 2 and 3 deep, and no other team in league at that time was all that.

Izzo was lucky that IU and MU were in a down cycle most of his career. I look at the ACC and see so many old dog coaches and serious up and comers, no place to cut your teeth.
That's not true. Other than UVA, the big dogs, best coaches, are all in their late 60's or up. The next ten years will be a huge shift in coaching in ACC. Can't imagine these guys are around in 2025... K, Pitino, Williams, Larranaga, etc. Will Buzz Williams still be a VT... does that matter?

Tom Izzo says hello.

Our best recruiting stories are the 4 year developmental types (CJ Fair, Rak, Scoop, etc) that have really made our program go in the modern era. Harder to get those type of kids in this situation. And the one and done guys we've had weren't recruited to be so.

Honestly it's a testament to JB's greatness that this situation has been managed as well as it's been (throw in the NCAA stuff).
When Tom Izzo said hello did he mention that Jud Heathcote only won like 400 games and to compare with a guy who has won 1,000 probably doesn't make sense. I think of Sidibe and Brissett as those type of guys that will develop. I think we have missed on some kids like Monte Morris and Newton for kids like Joseph and Howard. That has nothing to do with the current situation regarding Boeheim retirement. I think our best chance to be successful is Boeheim coaching the team and Hopkins and Red recruiting their butts off with Gerry not being the lead recruiter on anyone. If there is a way at all to delay this scenario changing I would be for it.

i just don't get the let's can this guy to speed up the time for the next guy to be ready. how about let's enjoy this guy and the success he's brought the program and then deal with the next guy later.

This line of thought it absurd frankly. If Jim is healthy, energetic and engaged let him do it to 80. I will not be seduced by what's next when the now has been pretty damn good for 40 plus years.

When Tom Izzo said hello did he mention that Jud Heathcote only won like 400 games and to compare with a guy who has won 1,000 probably doesn't make sense. I think of Sidibe and Brissett as those type of guys that will develop. I think we have missed on some kids like Monte Morris and Newton for kids like Joseph and Howard. That has nothing to do with the current situation regarding Boeheim retirement. I think our best chance to be successful is Boeheim coaching the team and Hopkins and Red recruiting their butts off with Gerry not being the lead recruiter on anyone. If there is a way at all to delay this scenario changing I would be for it.

Both won a national championship, Heathcote won 42 games his last two seasons. Assuming JB doesn't win one more they are off by a couple of seasons from their NC to retirement date.

Personally I think JB has done more for Syracuse than almost anyone in the history of this country for their school, but father time is father time, and that dude's undefeated.

Hop isn't some indentured servant to SU, guy is pushing 50 himself.

Both won a national championship, Heathcote won 42 games his last two seasons. Assuming JB doesn't win one more they are off by a couple of seasons from their NC to retirement date.

Personally I think JB has done more for Syracuse than almost anyone in the history of this country for their school, but father time is father time, and that dude's undefeated.

Hop isn't some indentured servant to SU, guy is pushing 50 himself.

Prince Charles Hopkins can wait until the King is dead as far as i'm concerned. Does his contract preclude him from going elsewhere? Hopkins IMO should have gone to BC and fixed that situation when he had a chance. Low threshhold there to perceived success (similar to Syracuse football).

With Bates on his way out I wouldn't be surprised if they kick that tire again if Boeheim wins this turf war.

But you arguing that we are behind even with JB, so unless he steps down and Jay Wright jumps on board, the transition needs to happen at some point. Life after JB is imminent. Another few years is probably not going to make much of a difference, considering the results we have seen over the last few years. Perhaps, the sanctions coming off the table would help JB get back to 30 win seasons. If so, than I stand corrected. Either way, we need to see what we have in Hop. He's been promised a shot, and paid to protect that chance. If he's a bust, we need to get through it asap. If not, then the next era begins.
The major reason for this current down period is because JB is being labeled as a lame duck with 1 year left.

You are 100% correct
This makes me sad.

Not to mention very concerned about the immediate future of the program considering from a historical perspective those who replace legends are rarely successful - especially when the replacement is promoted from within.

And since the current assistants are responsible for the recruiting struggles in recent years I'm not sure how much they've earned a promotion. Hop has never given me much confidence as a head man.

But who knows. All any of us can do is hope for the best. And if Hop turns out to be bad that things don't get so terrible that it will be nearly impossible to turn things around.

The major reason for this current down period is because JB is being labeled as a lame duck with 1 year left.
I think thats a factor, but not the major factor. Syracuse is a big time program. Kids we recruit (Quade Green, et al) only think they are going to be here for a year. It seems likely the true impact of this, would more painful with the 2018's who haven't signed yet, and are not quite sure if Hop or JB will be their coach. Otherwise, the sanctions and lack of recruiters on the road, are hurting us way more.

A
Fired? It's time? I know you have only been a fan since just before Christmas but this is ridiculous. I think people that believe that once Hopkins is in that we will get better players that we're going to U.K., start playing the best offensive basketball on earth and finally play zone half the time to great success are kidding themselves. We will look back 5 years from now and reminisce about how good we had it.
Are u serious kid? I've had season tickets for 25 years and know the guy personally. Go away then. Or better yet just block me.

That may be true, but my concern is the fact that JB is 72 years old. His shelf life may be more than next year, but it's not 10 years. The transition will be hard, and hopefully successful with Hop, but its going to happen soon. I think we need to push through sooner than later, so we can be in a situation like AZ is now, with a young coach who is already creating his own legacy.
Dont let that kid get to you. If he knew how dead wrong he was he would apology for how silly he looks.

I think thats a factor, but not the major factor. Syracuse is a big time program. Kids we recruit (Quade Green, et al) only think they are going to be here for a year. It seems likely the true impact of this, would more painful with the 2018's who haven't signed yet, and are not quite sure if Hop or JB will be their coach. Otherwise, the sanctions and lack of recruiters on the road, are hurting us way more.
It has created huge uncertainty. I don't think the sanctions hurt as Boeheim can play with 7 guys.

A

Are u serious kid? I've had season tickets for 25 years and know the guy personally. Go away then. Or better yet just block me.
Great post. This is the first year I took the plunge for hoops season tickets at afret living here my whole life. Man did I pick the wrong year lol. Been suffering thru football season tickets for a decade.

I will renew, but let's face it... we aren't going to be good next year either. But I am a diehard fan and u never know when a great memory will happen. That's why we do things in life, right? For the memories.
Can you explain this then

It has created huge uncertainty. I don't think the sanctions hurt as Boeheim can play with 7 guys.
I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. I think the sanctions have been a huge distraction and made life incredibly difficult. If nothing else we have lost quality players who we pushed away, like the kid at Maryland, because we were uncertain about number of ships available and whether certain players were coming back. Without the sanctions we'd probably still have BJ Johnson this year, and who knows what else. I don't think any players who were brought in this year or last worried about JB being here. Tyus Battle for one expected to be one and done, and still may be. I don't think that played a part in losing Quade Green and I don't think we were getting anyone else on that list of top 10/20 guys, even if the school said JB was extended 10 years.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. I think the sanctions have been a huge distraction and made life incredibly difficult. If nothing else we have lost quality players who we pushed away, like the kid at Maryland, because we were uncertain about number of ships available and whether certain players were coming back. Without the sanctions we'd probably still have BJ Johnson this year, and who knows what else. I don't think any players who were brought in this year or last worried about JB being here. Tyus Battle for one expected to be one and done, and still may be. I don't think that played a part in losing Quade Green and I don't think we were getting anyone else on that list of top 10/20 guys, even if the school said JB was extended 10 years.
Not 10 years just until he is 80.

I get the biggest kick out of some who think JB is some irreplaceable component for the program. Program is going no where if the right hire is made and the new HC is competent and knows what he is doing. Hopkins will clearly get the shot and lets hope he does a quality job. If not, plenty of other quality coaches out there who can take this program to a more consistent state.

A

Great post. This is the first year I took the plunge for hoops season tickets after living here my whole life.

Can you explain this then

tumblr_ncvkcjCDG31sodwato1_400.gif

My (vague) recollection is that next year being his last year was somehow in the mix when the negotiations with the NCAA were concluded. I thought, but was not sure, at the time that the two were related.

I like Jim Boeheim. I will miss him dearly.

age catches all of us. good coaching is hard work. i don't have the same vitality as when i was 40. and by 70 i'd hope to be happily retired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom