Syracuse and CFB DNA | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse and CFB DNA

All4SU

Duos Cultores Scientia Coronat et Go Aureum
First off, let me just state plainly that I am impressed with what HCFB has accomplished in terms of thrusting SU back into the national CFB discussion. Great to see, and fun too. I liked Babers, but understand it’s a business. (Frankly it’s a BIG business. More than I would like it to be.)

I’m wondering about the erosion of culture and tradition in CFB. The things that make Syracuse Syracuse, are learned over time. Student athletes don’t just come to SU knowing who we are, what made the program great in years past, what players forged the way for others to follow, and the depth and subtleties of our traditions.

In todays NIL/Portal-driven environment, these players are mercenaries. They sign on because of HCFB or DCEH, but not necessarily the school - my alma mater.

As a fan base, I see the excitement and expectations driven upward, without regard to how effectively the DNA of Syracuse football is carried on to this next generation. And I wonder what the long term impact of that will be.

I’m a way, it’s like football coaches fans (those fans who drive NIL) are playing with their own fantasy team rosters, scooping up players, giving away bags of cash without “pay for play”. Wink, wink.

The move is not just toward professional sports, but beyond that, into an uncontrolled environment where virtually anything goes and everyone is available for a price.

I hope as one- and two-year players cycle in and out of CFB rosters, the core appeal of CFB - the very things that make it unique and different from professional FB - are not lost forever.

First off, let me just state plainly that I am impressed with what HCFB has accomplished in terms of thrusting SU back into the national CFB discussion. Great to see, and fun too. I liked Babers, but understand it’s a business. (Frankly it’s a BIG business. More than I would like it to be.)

I’m wondering about the erosion of culture and tradition in CFB. The things that make Syracuse Syracuse, are learned over time. Student athletes don’t just come to SU knowing who we are, what made the program great in years past, what players forged the way for others to follow, and the depth and subtleties of our traditions.

In todays NIL/Portal-driven environment, these players are mercenaries. They sign on because of HCFB or DCEH, but not necessarily the school - my alma mater.

As a fan base, I see the excitement and expectations driven upward, without regard to how effectively the DNA of Syracuse football is carried on to this next generation. And I wonder what the long term impact of that will be.

I’m a way, it’s like football coaches fans (those fans who drive NIL) are playing with their own fantasy team rosters, scooping up players, giving away bags of cash without “pay for play”. Wink, wink.

The move is not just toward professional sports, but beyond that, into an uncontrolled environment where virtually anything goes and everyone is available for a price.

I hope as one- and two-year players cycle in and out of CFB rosters, the core appeal of CFB - the very things that make it unique and different from professional FB - are not lost forever.
Some of the history and tradition will be preserved, but it’s just not important to the majority anymore. And It’s not just college football, as much of what you wrote above, applies to the culture in general, For better or worse. Worse In my opinion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom