Syracuse Basketball is FUN again | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Basketball is FUN again

Yep! Today felt and looked like SYRACUSE BASKETBALL again! Been far too long. With our aggressive style of play, our young players and even more talent on the way, things are only going to keep getting better. PUMPED!

And EXCITING! Playing hard defense, changing defenses, making steals, running the fast break, moving the ball, relying on who is playing well, and playing team basketball!

So glad to see the energy on this team!
Great game today, frustrating at times but that was the most fun I’ve had watching in awhile. Copeland was fun to watch today.

Like Taylor but he is playing out of position at PF in acc play. Need either brown and Benny or brown or Benny and a center. Rebounding completely changed when we added the height.

Last 12 minutes of the first half was tough to watch. They came alive 3-4 minutes into the 2nd half.
This is still a young team that will be inconsistent at times, but they have a lot of fight in them especially when Cope is in the floor.

If JB was coaching this team we lose by double digits today.
When? Because for 40 years the guy was a Hall of fame coach that took our program from a really good Northeast school to a national power. And now, we knock him for a guy that hasn't beat a really good team yet? That seems ridiculous to me. We all hope Red is great and is here for a long time. But why don't we cool it with the jb knocking. He built this program.

I look at total points. Look at how many times they have scored more than 80. That was tough to come by last few years. And they had a scoreless 5 min stretch this game. Knowing they can be down and come back bc of scoring is new as of late and I love it

When? Because for 40 years the guy was a Hall of fame coach that took our program from a really good Northeast school to a national power. And now, we knock him for a guy that hasn't beat a really good team yet? That seems ridiculous to me. We all hope Red is great and is here for a long time. But why don't we cool it with the jb knocking. He built this program.

I don't understand why people need to continue to take shots at our former coaches, people did it at Dino on the FB board too

I don't understand why people need to continue to take shots at our former coaches, people did it at Dino on the FB board too
Not sure as much taking shots but stating frustration from the last few years. JB was a great coach and built the program but the last few years was a step back. The zone was no longer working but JB would not make the change. People could argue it was personnel but we have pretty much the same team with the only real addition of JJ and play almost mtm the entire game.

The players like Sherm, Rony, Pearl, DC, Billy,Stevie, Wallace Melo, And others built
The program. JB coached and recruited them. There were losses at critical times or he would have had more championships. Some of those were on JB's coaching. He had a great career, and deserves to have a day in his honor, but he also was responsible for bad times.
You have to accept the good with the bad.
I still believe his day should be Seperate from a game, so the entire Syracuse fan base has a chance to come.

JB held on way too long. Red is doing a good job changing the direction and bringing the program back to relevance. Still a ways to go but anyone that’s watched the last 8 years of SU basketball can tell this a much more enjoyable brand of basketball to watch. I just wish we didn’t have to suffer as fans watching the program decline.

JB held on way too long. Red is doing a good job changing the direction and bringing the program back to relevance. Still a ways to go but anyone that’s watched the last 8 years of SU basketball can tell this a much more enjoyable brand of basketball to watch. I just wish we didn’t have to suffer as fans watching the program decline.
No one is debating any of that. But there is no reason to drag the guy down. He is gone. Now we will see what Red can do.

Higher tempo is always more pleasing to the eye and good for the fan,

This is the highest tempo team we have had at Syracuse since 2009, relative to the NCAA. Ranked #41 in KP ... the lowest it has been since it was #29 in 2009. Of course, prior to this year our tempo was a bit of a two-way street -- our 2/3 zone tended to slow down the opposition as well.

A few other points before the full list since 2009 below:
1. We've had some really deliberate teams as of late -- that 2014 Syracuse team with Tyler Ennis at point was very deliberate. And then the 2018 team, which if I remember correctly was a lot of grind it out play that would end in the ends of Tyus Battle.
2. A general observation about the NCAA game. Although our games now have 3 more offensive possessions in 2024 as compared to 2009, the national rank is lower. The speed of the NCAA game has picked up a decent amount the last 15 years.

Syracuse Tempo rank per KenPom

2024 - 41 (72.9 possessions)
2023 - 170
2022 - 144
2021 - 151
2020 - 179
2019 - 257
2018 - 345
2017 - 243
2016 - 314
2015 - 100
2014 - 344
2013 - 235
2012 - 202
2011 - 212
2010 - 59 (68.7 possessions)
2009 - 29 (69.7 possessions)

I absolutely agree!

Higher tempo is always more pleasing to the eye and good for the fan,

This is the highest tempo team we have had at Syracuse since 2009, relative to the NCAA. Ranked #41 in KP ... the lowest it has been since it was #29 in 2009. Of course, prior to this year our tempo was a bit of a two-way street -- our 2/3 zone tended to slow down the opposition as well.

A few other points before the full list since 2009 below:
1. We've had some really deliberate teams as of late -- that 2014 Syracuse team with Tyler Ennis at point was very deliberate. And then the 2018 team, which if I remember correctly was a lot of grind it out play that would end in the ends of Tyus Battle.
2. A general observation about the NCAA game. Although our games now have 3 more offensive possessions in 2024 as compared to 2009, the national rank is lower. The speed of the NCAA game has picked up a decent amount the last 15 years.

Syracuse Tempo rank per KenPom

2024 - 41 (72.9 possessions)
2023 - 170
2022 - 144
2021 - 151
2020 - 179
2019 - 257
2018 - 345
2017 - 243
2016 - 314
2015 - 100
2014 - 344
2013 - 235
2012 - 202
2011 - 212
2010 - 59 (68.7 possessions)
2009 - 29 (69.7 possessions)
The Wes year, of course! That team was special.

Not sure as much taking shots but stating frustration from the last few years. JB was a great coach and built the program but the last few years was a step back. The zone was no longer working but JB would not make the change. People could argue it was personnel but we have pretty much the same team with the only real addition of JJ and play almost mtm the entire game.
Agree it has not been fun missing the tourney last few years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom