Syracuse Basketball Recruiting 2021-2022 Summary | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Basketball Recruiting 2021-2022 Summary

50YRsofCuse

Syracuse Fan in Florida and in SC
What a whirlwind (roller coaster) recruiting season this past year has been! After getting Benny Williams in 2020-2021 recruiting season and then loading up with Cole Swider, Symir Torrence and Jimmy Boeheim through the portal, we had great expectations for 2021-2022 recruiting.

It started out with Dior Johnson and the wealth of recruits he would attract. He had a posse of players like Chance Westry, Zion Cruz and others (maybe Donovan Clinghan, 7’ center) he felt would come to Syracuse if he was there. Well, that fell apart quickly. Dior de-committed and Zion Cruz never seemed interested to come here. Chance Westry would have committed in his junior season but his ?handlers? had more of a say. At least we were in Clingan sweepstakes and we tried for Jarace Walker, Ty Rogers, Kamari Lands and Justin Taylor. Well Clinghan did not want to leave his home state but Kamari Lands committed which turned off Ty Rogers and Jarace Walker (who did not seem to be interested in Syracuse).

Then, Kamari Lands decommitted but that was okay, he still considered Syracuse as one of schools he would go to. Guess that statement was to placate Syracuse until he could find a more profitable location (Louisville). Showed strong interest in Kyle Filipowski, a 6’11’‘ PF who wasn’t in the Top 100 when Syracuse offered. He climbed quickly signed with Duke and finished as a top 3 recruit by some services.

Justin Taylor, 6’7” SG/SF came in, liked what he saw, was friends with Benny Williams and committed (and importantly did not decommit and it turns out he had friends also).

Out of the Syracuse Invitational Camp, we had interest in Peter Carey, a slender 7 footer with potential. Quadir Copeland, a 6’6” point guard came for an official visit and both committed.

Chris Branch, 6’8” athlete selected Syracuse over the University of Washington. Maliq Brown, a 6’9” forward and a friend of Justin Taylor came in for a visit and decided to commit.

Copeland and Taylor both transferred to the same school and had a year of playing together. Finally, Judah Mintz, a 6’3” CG who had committed earlier to Pittsburgh, had second thoughts and reopened his recruitment. He had a top four school of DePaul, Syracuse, NC State and Wake Forest. It seem to come down to DePaul (where Zion Cruz committed) and Syracuse. As we all know, he selected Syracuse.

Instead of 4-5 five star recruits (several viewed as great potential as players and head cases), Syracuse ended up with a class that has at three 4 stars, two 3 stars and a player who missed playing his junior and senior years of high school but is viewed as high potential. The overall Chemistry of this class is extremely high.

I hope that this 2022 cycle created buzz around the program. Syracuse hasn't been elite since these recruits were in elementary school, so many of them don't think about the Syracuse brand the way the older generations do. It seems like a lot of high-end 2022 recruits were at least talking about the program. If we are good this year, and really good next year, I'm hoping we start to become more popular with recruits.

I don’t think this class helps the “brand”. Not to say it’s a “bad” class.

Syracuse is now a second tier ACC team that causes problems if it can make the tournament.

Not a top 25 or power school.

That is how kids see us, when they think about us.

I don’t think this class helps the “brand”. Not to say it’s a “bad” class.

Syracuse is now a second tier ACC team that causes problems if it can make the tournament.

Not a top 25 or power school.

That is how kids see us, when they think about us.
A voice of reason, not trying to sugarcoat that we are not where we should be.

What a whirlwind (roller coaster) recruiting season this past year has been! After getting Benny Williams in 2020-2021 recruiting season and then loading up with Cole Swider, Symir Torrence and Jimmy Boeheim through the portal, we had great expectations for 2021-2022 recruiting.

It started out with Dior Johnson and the wealth of recruits he would attract. He had a posse of players like Chance Westry, Zion Cruz and others (maybe Donovan Clinghan, 7’ center) he felt would come to Syracuse if he was there. Well, that fell apart quickly. Dior de-committed and Zion Cruz never seemed interested to come here. Chance Westry would have committed in his junior season but his ?handlers? had more of a say. At least we were in Clingan sweepstakes and we tried for Jarace Walker, Ty Rogers, Kamari Lands and Justin Taylor. Well Clinghan did not want to leave his home state but Kamari Lands committed which turned off Ty Rogers and Jarace Walker (who did not seem to be interested in Syracuse).

Then, Kamari Lands decommitted but that was okay, he still considered Syracuse as one of schools he would go to. Guess that statement was to placate Syracuse until he could find a more profitable location (Louisville). Showed strong interest in Kyle Filipowski, a 6’11’‘ PF who wasn’t in the Top 100 when Syracuse offered. He climbed quickly signed with Duke and finished as a top 3 recruit by some services.

Justin Taylor, 6’7” SG/SF came in, liked what he saw, was friends with Benny Williams and committed (and importantly did not decommit and it turns out he had friends also).

Out of the Syracuse Invitational Camp, we had interest in Peter Carey, a slender 7 footer with potential. Quadir Copeland, a 6’6” point guard came for an official visit and both committed.

Chris Branch, 6’8” athlete selected Syracuse over the University of Washington. Maliq Brown, a 6’9” forward and a friend of Justin Taylor came in for a visit and decided to commit.

Copeland and Taylor both transferred to the same school and had a year of playing together. Finally, Judah Mintz, a 6’3” CG who had committed earlier to Pittsburgh, had second thoughts and reopened his recruitment. He had a top four school of DePaul, Syracuse, NC State and Wake Forest. It seem to come down to DePaul (where Zion Cruz committed) and Syracuse. As we all know, he selected Syracuse.

Instead of 4-5 five star recruits (several viewed as great potential as players and head cases), Syracuse ended up with a class that has at three 4 stars, two 3 stars and a player who missed playing his junior and senior years of high school but is viewed as high potential. The overall Chemistry of this class is extremely high.
Can not believe I missed at least two potential recruits that we were after. I am sure there was more but the two I forgot are Roddy Gayle and J.J Starling. The first one signed with Ohio State and the second signed with Notre Dame.

If we had landed either guard, our recruiting would have looked a lot different. If JJ signed on, we probably would not have Quadir Copeland or Judah Mintz. If Roddy signed, we would not landed Justin Taylor and perhaps not Malik Brown nor Judah Mintz and Quadir Copeland.

Strange how small changes in recruiting can have a larger overall effect. Kudos to the coaching staff for the recruits they brought in as well as their ability to constantly refocus their recruiting efforts after losin key recruits.

Can not believe I missed at least two potential recruits that we were after. I am sure there was more but the two I forgot are Roddy Gayle and J.J Starling. The first one signed with Ohio State and the second signed with Notre Dame.

If we had landed either guard, our recruiting would have looked a lot different. If JJ signed on, we probably would not have Quadir Copeland or Judah Mintz. If Roddy signed, we would not landed Justin Taylor and perhaps not Malik Brown nor Judah Mintz and Quadir Copeland.

Strange how small changes in recruiting can have a larger overall effect. Kudos to the coaching staff for the recruits they brought in as well as their ability to constantly refocus their recruiting efforts after losin key recruits.
Good posts. FYI, Quadir chose Cuse before JJ Starling made his decision. He would have come with or without Starling.

I would guess that adding Hima actually dropped our 247 ranking - despite the bump from adding another body.

I notice that we still have one open slot.
There might be a summer surprise.
But I have a hard time seeing Boeheim playing 10-11 guys for more than the first month of the season. I hope I'm wrong, but it's been 15-20 years since he really played a lot of guys.

I notice that we still have one open slot.
There might be a summer surprise.
But I have a hard time seeing Boeheim playing 10-11 guys for more than the first month of the season. I hope I'm wrong, but it's been 15-20 years since he really played a lot of guys.
8 players at most.

JB says its his best class ever. Who knows but it is one heck of a class. Hats off to JB and the staff.

How does Peach Jam turn into “all the camps”?
I'm not a camp mavin, just seemed to read that he shot poorly last year. Hopefully, he proves all the ranking services wrong. But, just saying there may be a valid reason for the drop in ranking.

Mintz is 56th on Rivals too which is quite ridiculous. Lots of groupthink on some of these ranking lists.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom