Syracuse Basketball Recruiting 2021-2022 Summary | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Basketball Recruiting 2021-2022 Summary

I'm not a camp mavin, just seemed to read that he shot poorly last year. Hopefully, he proves all the ranking services wrong. But, just saying there may be a valid reason for the drop in ranking.
It was just peach jam which was really the main thing scouts see. I’m not that worried. He will contribute this season.

Mintz is 56th on Rivals too which is quite ridiculous. Lots of groupthink on some of these ranking lists.
Again; Mintz was a Pitt commit. It came down to us and DePaul. It's not like he was a Mickey D's 5-star recruit; to be ranked in the Top 20.

Again; Mintz was a Pitt commit. It came down to us and DePaul. It's not like he was a Mickey D's 5-star recruit; to be ranked in the Top 20.
Has zero to do with how good he was.

He was Oak Hills best player and the 2nd leading scorer in the best prep league in the country. It’s stupid. I‘ll believe my eyes over lists that can be dominated by politics and group think. You can question some of our other guys ability, but Mintz is the real deal.

He was Oak Hills best player and the 2nd leading scorer in the best prep league in the country. It’s stupid. I‘ll believe my eyes over lists that can be dominated by politics and group think. You can question some of our other guys ability, but Mintz is the real deal.
I agree 1000%. Obviously not all recruits play to their rankings but this kid does seem like the real deal.

He better be, my friend. We're gonna need him to be the real deal from Day 1. So, he's ranked 56th, instead of maybe in the 40's? All fairly subjective, so not a huge slight to put him at 56, imo.
Unless you think he is a Top 15 player?

He better be, my friend. We're gonna need him to be the real deal from Day 1. So, he's ranked 56th, instead of maybe in the 40's? All fairly subjective, so not a huge slight to put him at 56, imo.
Unless you think he is a Top 15 player?
I’m not saying he’s top 15, but he’s top 20-30 IMO.

Hes no worse than Starling who’s ranked 20th. There’s zero difference between the two.

I’m not saying he’s top 15, but he’s top 20-30 IMO.

Hes no worse than Starling who’s ranked 20th. There’s zero difference between the two.
2-4-7 has him at 45, right behind Donavan Clingan. That seems like a pretty fair ranking. Seems like they give more weight to scorers.

2-4-7 has him at 45, right behind Donavan Clingan. That seems like a pretty fair ranking. Seems like they give more weight to scorers.
Mintz will have a bigger impact than Clingan. I think UConn is a terrible fit for him.

If they give a bigger weight to scorers I’m not sure why he’s ranked higher. Mintz is a big time scorer that averaged 28 a game in the best league in the country. I watch Starling and I watch Mintz and I think Mintz is the better player. He was far more efficient In HS and AAU. Some guys are slept on for whatever reason.

Totally agree with you here, although I would say that perhaps Livingston was Oak Hill's best player this past season. Either way, Mintz was, I believe, in the top-5 in scoring in the NIBC this year, the toughest league in the country. He's a strong top-30ish national prospect in 2022, IMO.

I guess Cruz is trash then seeing as he actually ended up at DePaul, recruiting rankings are a mess and highly dependent on who they commit to, flip is good, but he went from barely ranked to a top 10 player because of he committed to Duke

Yeah, what? He drops 60 spots 6 months? What a joke
If people see your only valuable skill as shooting, and you shoot poorly for most of a season, your ranking will drop. I'm hoping it was just a slump or something in his shot the coaches know they can fix, but otherwise Taylor isn't nearly the asset we think he will be.

I guess Cruz is trash then seeing as he actually ended up at DePaul, recruiting rankings are a mess and highly dependent on who they commit to, flip is good, but he went from barely ranked to a top 10 player because of he committed to Duke
Committing to Duke certainly won't hurt anyone's ratings. But, Flip is a top 10 player in this class on his own merit, IMO.

Committing to Duke certainly won't hurt anyone's ratings. But, Flip is a top 10 player in this class on his own merit, IMO.
I guess we will see

Mintz will have a bigger impact than Clingan. I think UConn is a terrible fit for him.

If they give a bigger weight to scorers I’m not sure why he’s ranked higher. Mintz is a big time scorer that averaged 28 a game in the best league in the country. I watch Starling and I watch Mintz and I think Mintz is the better player. He was far more efficient In HS and AAU. Some guys are slept on for whatever reason.
Starling had an NBA body already, while Mintz is slight of build. Starling "looks" more like a future stud, even if Mintz is just as good of a player.

Justin Taylor only being a top-100 guy on Rivals is crazy to me. I'm no recruiting guru but before we landed Mintz I thought he was clearly our best commit and a legit day one contributor. Seems like he got knocked in the rankings for being a top guy on a bad EYBL team.

If he is there physically I think he starts on the wing with Benny.

I tend to agree on mintz. It’s the others I’m worried about. No sure-fire immediate impacts.

Rankings are the end all be all, but it is interesting where some.of the guys we recruited in this class ended up... and where the guys we landed did as well. Here is the top 100 for 247...
Screenshot_20220515-162040_Twitter.jpg
Screenshot_20220515-162127_Twitter.jpg
Screenshot_20220515-162246_Twitter.jpg
Screenshot_20220515-162321_Twitter.jpg

I didn't include 101-150 as none of the guys we recruited and/or landed were in that range.

I can't believe no one mentioned the loss of Chaz Owens here. Not sure if we will be able to replace what he brought to the program. That said, maybe we should make a play for the new Duke transfer Joey Baker now that we have an open schollie. A one-year player would not hold back any of the young uns we are bringing in and would fill a definite hole on the roster.

I don't understand the need to internally 'revise' the rankings. They are what they are and they're worth what they're worth. Saying our guy isn't a "56" and is more like a "25" is kinda odd unless you're also examining all the other players and deciding, based on high school performance, that one belongs above or below another... for all of them. Like with All-Star team snubs, if you think someone was left off, you gotta remove someone who's on it.

And re: Judah vs Starling—aren't they different players? Not sure how they can be 'equal' from what we know. Maybe Judah's quickness translates to the NCAA better than Starling's qualities... maybe it's the opposite. I'm kinda of the mind that there are 'elite' recruits and then there's a huge swathe beneath that, and those numbers are pretty meaningless. Those 20-70 players will play and make an impact, but whether someone is 50 or 35 is kinda moot. In that range, it's more of a roll of the dice as to whether you've got a potential star.

For discussion: I wonder which player the forum would have chosen, if it were between Judah and Dior, and you were making the choice before Dior committed to us. It's going to be easier to answer that now, now that we had some hurt feelings and resentments and there's all the business about Dior's attitude, but based on what you saw in terms of talent, what do y'all really think?

If people see your only valuable skill as shooting, and you shoot poorly for most of a season, your ranking will drop. I'm hoping it was just a slump or something in his shot the coaches know they can fix, but otherwise Taylor isn't nearly the asset we think he will be.
Maybe the assumption that shooting is his only valuable skill is incorrect.

I don't understand the need to internally 'revise' the rankings. They are what they are and they're worth what they're worth. Saying our guy isn't a "56" and is more like a "25" is kinda odd unless you're also examining all the other players and deciding, based on high school performance, that one belongs above or below another... for all of them. Like with All-Star team snubs, if you think someone was left off, you gotta remove someone who's on it.

And re: Judah vs Starling—aren't they different players? Not sure how they can be 'equal' from what we know. Maybe Judah's quickness translates to the NCAA better than Starling's qualities... maybe it's the opposite. I'm kinda of the mind that there are 'elite' recruits and then there's a huge swathe beneath that, and those numbers are pretty meaningless. Those 20-70 players will play and make an impact, but whether someone is 50 or 35 is kinda moot. In that range, it's more of a roll of the dice as to whether you've got a potential star.

For discussion: I wonder which player the forum would have chosen, if it were between Judah and Dior, and you were making the choice before Dior committed to us. It's going to be easier to answer that now, now that we had some hurt feelings and resentments and there's all the business about Dior's attitude, but based on what you saw in terms of talent, what do y'all really think?
I mean it’s a message board. We talk about this stuff. There won’t be 50 some odd freshman players better than Mintz and in my opinion he’s better than Starling. He’s more efficient and a better creator and I live where Starling grew up. A good player, but Mintz is the better fit for what we need.

There’s a lot of people who judge this stuff solely on rankings and not with their eyes and will say Mintz isn’t that good because he dropped while the truth is he was one of the best players in the best prep league in the country.

As far as Dior goes 75% of people here are always going to pick the player here with the higher ranking regardless of what their eyes tell them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom