Syracuse Basketball | Who Is...The "GOAT"? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Basketball | Who Is...The "GOAT"?

Yeah, no.

Not even close.
If we’re going to say others besides DC and Bing are close with Melo, then why not?

Only one players considered the best one and done/freshman of all time. Only one got us the ‘ship. Its the one with his name on the basketball/athletic center

Derrick Coleman was a 3 time first team all Big East, his freshman year he was third team all Big East.
He won Big East POY in 1990.
First team all-America 1990.
Second team all-America 1989.

First pick in the draft.
Alltime Big East rebounder.

IMO it’s Bing or Coleman.

If Flynn or Dion stayed another year they’d be right in there.
I’m with you on Flynn, but I’d change it to *two more years*.

He scored over 1200 points in two years. He’d likely be our all time leading scorer if he stayed 4, and would’ve approached Sherman in assists. As it stands he’s 8th all time in assists, just from 2 years.

What happens to Billy Owens if he comes back for his Senior year?

He likely is a 2 time POY and passes Coleman.
Also he avoids Sacramento drafting him and screwing his NBA career.
Don Nelson screwed him in Golden State.
If Owens comes back he goes 4th in the 1992 NBA draft behind Shaq, Mourning, Laetnner and goes to Dallas and he has a different career
With Jason Kidd and Jamal Mashburn the next 2 drafts.

Poor Billy.

We had the worst team in D-1 when Bing stepped foot on the campus. By his 4th year, we were in the final 8. we were never terrible again.
Getting to the Elite 8 back then involved winning one game. Bing is great and he's on the MT Rushmore of Cuse bball but I give the slight nod to Pearl and Melo.

Getting to the Elite 8 back then involved winning one game. Bing is great and he's on the MT Rushmore of Cuse bball but I give the slight nod to Pearl and Melo.
Sherman Douglas had a better career than Pearl Washington.
Pearl just legitimized JB and his recruiting.
I factor in the 3 years vs. 4.
It’s why I put Coleman over Owens.

I’m with you on Flynn, but I’d change it to *two more years*.

He scored over 1200 points in two years. He’d likely be our all time leading scorer if he stayed 4, and would’ve approached Sherman in assists. As it stands he’s 8th all time in assists, just from 2 years.
Flynn was an injury away from
potentially being a Steve Francis or Baron Davis like talent imo.

Flynn was an injury away from
potentially being a Steve Francis or Baron Davis like talent imo.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Surely that injury robbed him of his elite athleticism, which is what made his game go, at his size.

But - he wasn’t the most coachable dude, and had a fleeting interest in playing D.

It’s not a coincidence that the year after he, Devo, & Harris left
(the latter two with a bit of a nudge) -
that we ended up having what may have been our BEST. TEAM. EVER.

There’s no way the chemistry is the same if Jonny is the PG of that team.

But that was because only good teams got in.

Impossible choice.
I only saw Bing play in the pros.
Carmelo would probably have been the best had he played multiple years.
DC and Pearl were dominating for a while.
Impossible choice.

If Owens comes back he goes 4th in the 1992 NBA draft behind Shaq, Mourning, Laetnner and goes to Dallas and he has a different career
Dallas’ subsequent drafts would not be the same if they had Owens.
Poor Billy.

I think it is clearly Dave Bing he averaged 28 points 10 rebound and 6 assists a game his senior year. If you take him out and do the whole during the Boeheim era thing I go DC over Pearl just barely.
And Bing did this without the 3 pointer! He might have scored mid-30s.

By the way - Bing's senior year was the first year they kept assists stats. Imagine where he would finished on that all-time list.

Poor Billy.
I think the TWolves would have picked Billy at #3 over Laettner. MN had the worst NBA record and had bad lottery luck again and got the #3 pick with two franchise centers in the draft.

Billy had a much better team in Golden State with Hardaway and Mullin than he would have had in MN.

Bing is the greatest Syracuse player ever, and it's really hard to make a compelling case for anybody else.

Best Boeheim player ever (and arguably the most underrated player ever) is Billy Owens.

I'd go DC, Bing, Melo, Owens, Wallace.

I'd go DC, Bing, Melo, Owens, Wallace.

DC was the greatest rebounder I've ever seen, bar none, better than Duncan, better than Shaq, you name it. But offensively he was never the alpha at any point in his career. His was behind Douglas and Seikaly, then Douglas, then Owens.

One of the best ever, for sure, but I have a hard time considering him THE best ever when he was never THE go to scorer on any of his teams.

DC was the greatest rebounder I've ever seen, bar none, better than Duncan, better than Shaq, you name it. But offensively he was never the alpha at any point in his career. His was behind Douglas and Seikaly, then Douglas, then Owens.

One of the best ever, for sure, but I have a hard time considering him THE best ever when he was never THE go to scorer on any of his teams.

Funny thing is he’s the only one of those 4 guys who averaged 20 + ppg in the NBA(3 times).

The others highest scoring NBA season:
Douglas - 18.5
Seikaly - 17.3
Owens - 16.5

DC and Owens were quite similar in that their basketball IQ was so high, they always made the right pass. Loved both of their games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom