Syracuse Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Basketball

About 10-15 years ago, I lost all interest in pro-sports, probably around the time of Sosa/McGwire being a great story, then... Pro-hoops is awful, and I don't watch the NFL much, mainly as Sun's are insane.

However, there's always been Syracuse basketball, and to a lesser extent, Syr football.

Each early-Oct, I was comforted in being able to know that for the next five months, JB would have something I could enjoy, a great product, great story of kids working towards a title, something to bond with the family, a key part of what we do. Now, during the greatest season to date, I cannot come to this board without a pit in my stomach. I turn the tv on last night to catch a few mins of some mid-major stuff, hoping to catch a glimpse of a team we might face one day, and to see JB "I did not know anything" at the bottom, made me sick. Ugh, it's just not ending.

Any other school facing these issues the last six months, I would say "the school and coach" are not running the program well. So, while I know all kids smoke pot, and have issues, I'm really torn because JB is a great coach, great philanthropist, etc, but three months of ESPN scrolls has really removed some luster of this season. Anyone that reads the OT knows I'm all about bias in the media, so I understand how the post-PSU incident brings outlandish scrutiny. However, how much are we the norm, or how atypical are we?

I guess my purpose in typing this is wondering are we the program I think we are? The one where Joyce and others recap great events, our military men turn Alaska bars into SU bars, where we take over NC. St, Nova, where team managers bust their butt for the good of the program, with top philanthropist coach?

The last few decades, are we the norm in college hoops/sports? Are we really atypical right now? If we hear stuff about UK paying players for five years, that surely would be found and addressed by now, so are we worse then they are? If everyone had pot-smoking players that were not eligible via their school policy (do all have school policies?) the story would list 20 other colleges, too. It's just some confusing stuff. Yes, there's the timing which is good for eye balls but is it just that? Is it just bad timing for us? Or, is it more than that?

Maybe this is just cathartic for me. I'm generally extremely optimistic, so maybe by next Thurs, I'll stop thinking about it for hopefully three weeks, and enjoy the ride. Maybe this stuff going to the scandal board will help, too? And it stinks there's a scandal board already in place. That says a lot about what this season will be remembered for. No matter how great, part of me will remember the dozen times I had to quickly pause the tv anytime BF's name came up, so the kids didn't hear the nonsense and distract from a great thing going on, or the names Lange/Davis and now this.

I tell you, I haven't felt this way since 2003 but I really need a 6 game run in the Tourney and cut them down. Really, I need a good 9 game run to really push this nonsense to the tabloids. For those that sold souls in 2003, please start selling other things. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom