Syracuse basketball's rivalry with Georgetown could be over after Saturday | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse basketball's rivalry with Georgetown could be over after Saturday

Almost a fight in 306 already. GT fans spilling beer all over the place and throwing other people’s coats everywhere.

Hopefully they are treated appropriately by Dome security. Phones are everywhere...meaning evidence is everywhere.

20 conference games
Holiday tournament counting 4 games as 1.
Colgate
Cornell
Big Ten/ACC challenge
Leaves room for 4 more nonconference games.
One of those 4 should always be a P5/ or former BE rival.

Your math is wrong. Up to this year, with 18 ACC conference games, if we have four team tournament like this year, we have 13 out of conference games. If we have eight tournament like Maui Invitational, we have 14 out of conference games. Next year, we increase two on conference games, the OOC games will be reduced to 11 or 12. Holiday tournament counts 2 games as 1 or 3 games as 1 depending on tournament size.

Your math is wrong. Up to this year, with 18 ACC conference games, if we have four team tournament like this year, we have 13 out of conference games. If we have eight tournament like Maui Invitational, we have 14 out of conference games. Next year, we increase two on conference games, the OOC games will be reduced to 11 or 12. Holiday tournament counts 2 games as 1 or 3 games as 1 depending on tournament size.
I am talking about next year. Hence I put 20 conference games.
Holiday tournaments are 3-4 games that count as 1 game. Most of them give P5/BE teams a campus game as part of the tournament. When teams play in Maui they get 3 games in Hawaii and one game at home.
Syracuse first 2 opponents this year were part of the 2k tournament we played 2 games at MSG in. We played 4 games that counted as 1. 2 at the Dome and 2 in MSG.

Good. Sick of hearing the old timers talk about the Georgetown rivalry like it was the Punic Wars and each game was like the Battle of Carthage.

Yawn. Time for a new rival that actually has contemporary relevance, not ancient history.
Funny post .. and I don't mind you making fun of us old guys because you have a point.

Not that G-T and Syracuse didn't have some epic games. They did. There were nail-biter endings, crazy fights, chair-throwing incidents (JB) .. the works. The rivalry took on historic significance because it was part of the rise of the Big East conference and the explosion of television coverage of college hoops. SU rode the wave to basketball prominence, and it's fun to relive that history once in a while.

Every year though? That's where I have to give it up to you. The reminiscing gets old.

Last edited:
I am talking about next year. Hence I put 20 conference games.
Holiday tournaments are 3-4 games that count as 1 game. Most of them give P5/BE teams a campus game as part of the tournament. When teams play in Maui they get 3 games in Hawaii and one game at home.
Syracuse first 2 opponents this year were part of the 2k tournament we played 2 games at MSG in. We played 4 games that counted as 1. 2 at the Dome and 2 in MSG.

There is no 4 count as 1 tournament. There are only 3 count as 1 and 2 count as 1.

speaking of rivalries UCLA is playing Notre Dame on espn2 . notre dame ended UCLA'a 88 game win streak and was bill walton's first loss since high school. digger phelps calls in to reflect.
bill walton " who is this ? digger are you still alive ?"

Pretty sad how cowardly our fans are wanting to move on from our history. Newsflash Duke doesn’t care about us.

My angle is okay play them annually. Home and home. But take 2 years off when we feel like giving another school a home and home in their place be it Nova or UCLA etc. Try and get KU or UK to the dome instead every once and a while and if you can’t just play Gtown.

There is no 4 count as 1 tournament. There are only 3 count as 1 and 2 count as 1.
You are wrong.
Teams can play 27 regular season games:
With the caveat that one tournament with 4 games counts as 1 game.

Eastern Washington, Morehead Statre, UConn, Oregon counted as 1 game from the 2k tournament.
Morehead and Eastern Washington started the year playing Syracuse and UConn.
Those 4 game were 1 game in our schedule because they were part of a holiday tournament.
NCAA Eliminates Two-in-Four Rule

Please continue this.

We have moved beyond them (UCONN too) even if they keep beating us. This game does more for them and we should not do them any favors. Grew up with the rivalry, loved the rivalry and have moved on from the rivalry. They are in our rear view mirror.

That’s nonsensical at best and arrogant as hell at worst. Some traditions transcend time and this is one of them. That Georgetown team we played yesterday will be in the top tier of the BE this year. They are a good basketball team. I’d rather play them every year than Colgate...

Agreed with both points.

The small amount of Cornell and Colgate fans is more than offset by all the SU fans who don’t care about what usually amounts to a scrimmage.

But yeah, every time we play Georgetown the whole TV presentation is about what a big game this used to be. Same with St. John’s, and increasingly UConn.

Villanova is the only old rival we can play where the past is acknowledged but the focus is on the here and now.

And yesterday lived up the hype. Georgetown is coming back. Ewing has a team...

Funny post .. and I don't mind you making fun of us old guys because you have a point.

Not that G-T and Syracuse didn't have some epic games. They did. There were nail-biter endings, crazy fights, chair-throwing incidents (JB) .. the works. The rivalry took on historic significance because it was part of the rise of the Big East conference and the explosion of television coverage of college hoops. SU rode the wave to basketball prominence, and it doesn't hurt to relive/replay that history once in a while.

Every year though ... I have to give it up to you. The reminiscing gets old.

But wasn’t yesterday more fun than playing Colgate or Cornell Reed?

And yesterday lived up the hype. Georgetown is coming back. Ewing has a team...

What hype?

The obligatory short column in the Washington Post about what a big deal the game used to be? The build up in the first few minutes of the ESPN broadcast?

Fewer and fewer actually care.

It’s not a conference game. We could easily get the same benefit from playing Villanova or St John’s.

When I read the posts of those still amped up I’m reminded of those Civil War re-enactors at Gettysburg every July. They are apparently excited about it, but no one else is.

And your making declarative statements like, “This game is still important” or whatever, is just your opinion.

In his post-game presser, JB explained where SU is on this.

What he did NOT say was that the GU series would be continued. He said that schools like Villanova and St Johns also wanted to play us. (He joked that they must think they can beat us.)

He gave me the distinct impression that SU would not be scheduling more than one old Big East rival in a season and that Georgetown was just one of three (or more) that would be considered.

if GU does get better that would be a strike against them. if you are going to schedule an Old Big East foe in the OOC part of the schedule, pick someone you think you can beat. Or if they are all good, than rotate through them and pick Villanova next.

What hype?

The obligatory short column in the Washington Post about what a big deal the game used to be? The build up in the first few minutes of the ESPN broadcast?

It’s not a conference game. We could easily get the same benefit from playing Villanova or St John’s.

When I read the posts of those still amped up I’m reminded of those Civil War re-enactors at Gettysburg every July. They are apparently excited about it, but no one else is.

And your making declarative statements like, “This game is still important” or whatever, is just your opinion.

Listening to DC sports talk this AM, some mention of Maryland and UVa, nothing on this game.

In his post-game presser, JB explained where SU is on this.

What he did NOT say was that the GU series would be continued. He said that schools like Villanova and St Johns also wanted to play us. (He joked that they must think they can beat us.)

He gave me the distinct impression that SU would not be scheduling more than one old Big East rival in a season and that Georgetown was just one of three (or more) that would be considered.

if GU does get better that would be a strike against them. if you are going to schedule an Old Big East foe in the OOC part of the schedule, pick someone you think you can beat. Or if they are all good, than rotate through them and pick Villanova next.

Interesting on the 'Nova shade by JB considering that they have won 2 national titles in the last 3 years and have been consistently highly ranked as well. They currently are still ranked, so yeah, of course 'Nova thinks they could beat us. And, as bad as St. John's has been over the past several years, they have beaten us and played us tough the last couple of times we've played them...I guess Mullin & the Johnnies just love playing against JB's zone. ;)

Almost a fight in 306 already. GT fans spilling beer all over the place and throwing other people’s coats everywhere.

Damn, I stay home for one lousy game and I miss all the fun in 306.

What hype?

And because you aren’t, it doesn’t matter. Arrogance has no limits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom