Syracuse basketball's rivalry with Georgetown could be over after Saturday | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse basketball's rivalry with Georgetown could be over after Saturday

16298piss.gif
229.vresize.200.200.medium.0.png

Just rotate Gtown/Nova/SJU and P5 team we want to play for recruiting with the Big Ten team and then play 5 tomato cans with Cornell/Colgate as two of them.

Just rotate Gtown/Nova/SJU and P5 team we want to play for recruiting with the Big Ten team and then play 5 tomato cans with Cornell/Colgate as two of them.

Just a hunch, but I think we would rather play in an early season tournament. If there's a chance to go back to Atlantis we are going to do that instead of play the old Big East schools.

Just a hunch, but I think we would rather play in an early season tournament. If there's a chance to go back to Atlantis we are going to do that instead of play the old Big East schools.
We are going to play 31 regular season games each year.
20 conference games.
4 games in a tournament that count as 1 game.
Big Ten/ACC challenge
Colgate
Cornell
That leaves 4 openings.
My suggestion would be make one of those 4 games a Big East rival/P5 team that is a road game when we play a Big Ten at home and home game when we play the Big Ten team on the road.

Then play 3 more tomato cans. Season ticket holders should get one solid nonconference home game a year either Big Ten or P5/BE rival. Plus they give us more slack if we lose them then atleast we are playing somebody.
Those last 4 openings shouldn't be 4 tomato cans.

20 conference games.
Big Ten/ACC challenge
Colgate
Cornell
That leaves 4 openings.
My suggestion would be make one of those 4 games a Big East rival/P5 team that is a road game when we play a Big Ten at home and home game when we play the Big Ten team on the road.

Then play 3 more tomato cans. Season ticket holders should get one solid nonconference home game a year either Big Ten or P5/BE rival. Plus they give us more slack if we lose them then atleast we are playing somebody.

Agreed. It also depends on what people view a tomato can as.

KenPom has Northeastern, Buffalo and Old Dominion as better teams than Georgetown.

Obviously that does not get the fans as excited.

I get the sarcasm.

But:

They do have local fans and attendance is probably greater than it would be for a team of the same caliber.

We do play them in other sports, like Cornell in lacrosse.

It shows some Upstate loyalty.

And they are early season warm ups.

You gotta play somebody.
no reason it can't be one in even years, the other in odd years. no reason it has to be both every year.
and with the acc going to 20 while the ncaa holds at 31, there are plenty of reasons in favor of it

We've only had 31 regular season games for about the last 10-12 years. Up until the mid oughts I am pretty sure the regular season capped at 27 games and we played 16 conference games then while still playing in tournaments.

I couldn’t find last year’s numbers, but in 2017 they weren’t even top 100 in attendance. Siena came in 91st at 5,900 fans per game.

Obviously it’s a big enough area to support that program but will it happen? What’s the potential there as far as attendance goes? You can’t have much of a rivalry if one side has no fans.

Buffalo's home attendance so far this season...

vs. St. Francis - 1,852
vs. Dartmouth - 3,573
vs. Marist - 4,589
vs. LeMoyne - 4,412

Buffalo's home attendance so far this season...

vs. St. Francis - 1,852
vs. Dartmouth - 3,573
vs. Marist - 4,589
vs. LeMoyne - 4,412

Marist really moved the dial

It's sad but I guess it's time to move on. I didn't get to experience the rivals during it's prime in the 80s, but I'm always glad I was at Cuse during the final years of the rivalry (08-12)

I think we need to work at building or reenergizing a real rivalry game. I don’t feel like we have one today, the price of switching conference affiliation.

I love playing Duke, but I don’t think they really care about us I’m not sure that is the basis for a rivalry.

Pitt or BC given that we play them twice and have history. But it doesn’t really do anything for me.

Obviously Cornell and Colgate aren’t it, ideas?

We need a RIVALRY to get charged up about.

I think we need to work at building or reenergizing a real rivalry game. I don’t feel like we have one today, the price of switching conference affiliation.

I love playing Duke, but I don’t think they really care about us I’m not sure that is the basis for a rivalry.

Pitt or BC given that we play them twice and have history. But it doesn’t really do anything for me.

I think ultimately it comes down to us winning more games. We’ve done OK against Duke head to head. We’ll never be their primary rival, but for several years the Maryland-Duke rivalry was big...because Maryland was competing for ACC titles and won an NC.

If we’re going to keep finishing middle of the pack, the type of schools we’d want to have a rivalry have no reason to care about us.

Get back to living in the top 10 and competing for league titles and getting s top 4 seed every year, and these schools will hate us.

It's sad but I guess it's time to move on. I didn't get to experience the rivals during it's prime in the 80s, but I'm always glad I was at Cuse during the final years of the rivalry (08-12)

Huh. Given your handle I would’ve guessed you were older.

Good. Sick of hearing the old timers talk about the Georgetown rivalry like it was the Punic Wars and each game was like the Battle of Carthage.

Yawn. Time for a new rival that actually has contemporary relevance, not ancient history.

louisville
we're the two interlopers (from the tobacco road pov) with pedigree; neither duke nor unc is going to consider us their equals, so we should just surpass them

Good. Sick of hearing the old timers talk about the Georgetown rivalry like it was the Punic Wars and each game was like the Battle of Carthage.

Yawn. Time for a new rival that actually has contemporary relevance, not ancient history.

...the old timers are right on that though. I was too young and missed a lot of it, but the feel around those Douglas-Coleman-Owens vs. Smith-Mourning-Mutumbo era clashes was still something else.

It’s just that things change. The Georgetown rivalry had a nice revival when they got good again from like 07-13, but at this point there’s just no way it can ever really matter again.

I’m fine with playing them to get into DC and as a nod to history, but I’m not going to pretend like it’s still a huge game like it was. I couldn’t even name one of their current players.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...move on...it's 2019...It's the ACC now...find a new rival...blah blah blah.

I know one thing.
I see the words SU v G-town and immediately my blood starts boiling.
I LOAAAAATHE G-town!
And that big goof coach, too!
I don't think about it.
It's an immediate emotional reaction.

And - as has been said a bunch of times...if anybody cares about a money-making showcase at MSG:
An annual Beast of the Northeast event Christmas week at MSG.
SU, G-town, U-Conn and Pitt.
The Orange and Pitt play a game each against G-town and U-Conn.
(You could sub Nova or SJU for Pitt and change the pairings).
It's a winner for the teams, MSG, TV, the $$ and the fans.

I LOOOOAAAAAATHE G-town!

GO ORANGE!

What’s your feeling on the Axis Powers (Germany, Italy and Japan)?

...the old timers are right on that though. I was too young and missed a lot of it, but the feel around those Douglas-Coleman-Owens vs. Smith-Mourning-Mutumbo era clashes was still something else.

It’s just that things change. The Georgetown rivalry had a nice revival when they got good again from like 07-13, but at this point there’s just no way it can ever really matter again.

I’m fine with playing them to get into DC and as a nod to history, but I’m not going to pretend like it’s still a huge game like it was. I couldn’t even name one of their current players.

Exactly. It's not like it one was and never will be again. But that doesn't mean it's accurate to downplay how great it was in the day. All you have to do is watch some game replays and you can feel how electric the Dome was.

20 conference games.
Big Ten/ACC challenge
Colgate
Cornell
That leaves 4 openings.

I don't get the bolded statement. Does it count as 1 game or 4 games? If it's 4 games that count as 1 game then we have 7 more openings.

Or it's 4 games that count as 4 games and we have 4 openings left.

I don't get the bolded statement. Does it count as 1 game or 4 games? If it's 4 games that count as 1 game then we have 7 more openings.

Or it's 4 games that count as 4 games and we have 4 openings left.
The tournament 4 games count as 1 regular season.
Teams can play 28 regular season college basketball games.
Holiday tournaments count as 1 game even though every team plays 4 games between campus and neutral site venues.

The tournament 4 games count as 1 regular season.
Teams can play 28 regular season college basketball games.
Holiday tournaments count as 1 game even though every team plays 4 games between campus and neutral site venues.

Ahh gotcha so its 28 total not 31 that makes more sense.

I may not be a mathematician but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and my napkin math wasn't adding up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom