Syracuse class sneaky good | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse class sneaky good

Konecny never should have been admitted, he was a problem everywhere he went.

I remember that a coach said anonymously about him during his recruitment that "He'll either turn out to be the next Tom Gugliotta, or he'll be a bum."

Bingo.

Here's the likely reality -- this is a good, solid class filled with four year "program guys" -- especially if lower rated guys like Brown / Carey pan out.

We've done very well in the past with guys like this helping form a solid nucleus. But taking it to the next level requires a higher rated player [or two] to bolster the foundation. Maybe that's Benny, a former five star [although the early returns make that questionable].

Otherwise, we need to add some higher rated, more talented recruits to the mix. We went o-fer last year in the class of 2022 with respect to Clingan, Filipowski, Dior, Westry, Lands, and JJ -- which in turn led us to pivoting to solid but unspectacular replacements.

But we'll be "stuck" at mediocrity until we add some blue chip talent.
The writing on the wall looks like it was done with neon spray paint...

Here's the likely reality -- this is a good, solid class filled with four year "program guys" -- especially if lower rated guys like Brown / Carey pan out.

We've done very well in the past with guys like this helping form a solid nucleus. But taking it to the next level requires a higher rated player [or two] to bolster the foundation. Maybe that's Benny, a former five star [although the early returns make that questionable].

Otherwise, we need to add some higher rated, more talented recruits to the mix. We went o-fer last year in the class of 2022 with respect to Clingan, Filipowski, Dior, Westry, Lands, and JJ -- which in turn led us to pivoting to solid but unspectacular replacements.

But we'll be "stuck" at mediocrity until we add some blue chip talent.
In a previous life that would stabilize the roster for a few years but the main problem now being that it's 50/50 whether or not a player from an incoming class makes it even to year 2 or 3.

There was a similar thing about Edelin, comparing him, potentially, to Andre Miller.

He was a great player. It's such a shame how that all turned out, from a hoops perspective.
He worked for a really long time in the County Clerk's office, and he also began instructing kids.
So, he really turned himself around, as far as I'm concerned. Always a nice, smart guy when I had the chance to speak with him. Very humble. I wish him nothing but the best.

He was a great player. It's such a shame how that all turned out, from a hoops perspective.
He worked for a really long time in the County Clerk's office, and he also began instructing kids.
So, he really turned himself around, as far as I'm concerned. Always a nice, smart guy when I had the chance to speak with him. Very humble. I wish him nothing but the best.
Mental health issues are just debilitating, especially for the young. Glad things are better for him

This class makes me think of the 2004 Watkins/Nichols/Roberts/McCroskey class. While we didn’t get a superstar rated player (I don’t recall how all those guys were rated) we made up for it in volume. That class ended up with 3 guys who were 4 years players. We had 2 solid contributors in Roberts and Watkins, even though I kept waiting for one of those guys to make the big jump. Nichols eventually became a star after a few years. I hope we can get a couple of this incoming class to be solid contributors and maybe one guy will break out by his Jr/Sr year.

Hopefully nobody pulls a McCroskey.

This class makes me think of the 2004 Watkins/Nichols/Roberts/McCroskey class. While we didn’t get a superstar rated player (I don’t recall how all those guys were rated) we made up for it in volume. That class ended up with 3 guys who were 4 years players. We had 2 solid contributors in Roberts and Watkins, even though I kept waiting for one of those guys to make the big jump. Nichols eventually became a star after a few years. I hope we can get a couple of this incoming class to be solid contributors and maybe one guy will break out by his Jr/Sr year.

Hopefully nobody pulls a McCroskey.
I believe Watkins was top 30, Nichols top 35, Roberts top 50 and McCroskey top 100. So, every guy was way more highly ranked than this class. I like this class, but that tells you where we’re at recruiting now compared to then.

I believe Watkins was top 30, Nichols top 35, Roberts top 50 and McCroskey top 100. So, every guy was way more highly ranked than this class. I like this class, but that tells you where we’re at recruiting now compared to then.

I sorta remember the buzz around Roberts (someone here got a quote from an NBA scout) that he was two and done. That class really had high expectations.

That class had a lot of athleticism and very little ready now basketball skill.

I sorta remember the buzz around Roberts (someone here got a quote from an NBA scout) that he was two and done. That class really had high expectations.

Mookie Watkins had some 50 point games in high school, and Roberts projected to be a Kenyon Martin type of player coming out of HS. Unfortunately for Roberts, he had a couple knee injuries that limited him in his last year or two. Nichols, of course, was a great, great shooter, but had a lot of anxiety making the transition to college. It took him a couple years to blossom into a great player.

Yeah… I’d certainly take another roberts, Watkins, and obviously nichols.

He could have been that good.
Yup. Billy was on Hak/GMac level by the end of 03/first half of 04.

He would’ve went down as an all time Orange great on the same level as those 2, if he could’ve just played 4 years with no interruptions, like them. And we probably get at least 2 deep(er) runs from 04-06.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom