Syracuse class sneaky good | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse class sneaky good

Missing Brown, he could be the missing piece. Swider can retunr also as fyi.

Cole staying? Jesse staying?
Cole has a year of eligibility left. If he wants to stay, I see no reason why he wouldn't. He's not playing for money in the NBA. He might get some money overseas. Depends on what he wants.

I see no reason($) why Jesse would leave, JAB being hard on him, sure, but he's in line for a great 2022-23 and that could lead to $$$.

But I can also see most of the existing roster, except JG3, saying adios after this season. So my post was really more about how the sneaky good class would fit in with who we generally understand as returning.

Put me in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp. I don't have much faith left in Boeheim's talent evaluation skills. He used to be amongst the best in the business in finding diamonds in the rough and undervalued players but recently so many of the higher ranked FR that he's landed have been marginal players or busts. I'll freely admit, though, that on paper this looks like one of his best classes in quite some time. We'll see how it turns out... Hope I eat crow.
I get tired of repeating this. The class may be good in a year or two. We shouldn’t expect much next year.

I get tired of repeating this. The class may be good in a year or two. We shouldn’t expect much next year.
Sadly, I don't get my hopes up anymore for this team. I watch every game I can, but, frankly I'm surprised by every win this year.

I think Taylor and Brown are the only players that will play much next year.

Some tough pills to swallow in this article. Cuse targets of note mentioned:

Filipowski, Wilcher, Starling, Clingan, Westry

• late longshot, can you blame him for choosing Dook
  • who? I don't even recall that name
  • don't think he was ever gonna stay home - some kids just wanna get away from CNY in winter
  • was always gonna be UConn, he wasn't moving away from home
  • we didn't $tand a Chance with thi$ kid$ handler$

• late longshot, can you blame him for choosing Dook
  • who? I don't even recall that name
  • don't think he was ever gonna stay home - some kids just wanna get away from CNY in winter
  • we didn't $tand a Chance with thi$ kid$ handler$
Simeon Wilcher is a 2023 5 star guard. Think he went to Elite camp and said he was going to take a Cuse OV but committed to UNC before doing so.

Put me in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp. I don't have much faith left in Boeheim's talent evaluation skills. He used to be amongst the best in the business in finding diamonds in the rough and undervalued players but recently so many of the higher ranked FR that he's landed have been marginal players or busts. I'll freely admit, though, that on paper this looks like one of his best classes in quite some time. We'll see how it turns out... Hope I eat crow.
--

I wouldn't necessarily say JB's talent eval skills have gotten worse, but I don't think he puts out the effort
to go after kids as he used to, choosing instead to settle for easier guys to sign. I don't know how to think
about this class, but with the lower rated kids, they're dependent on coaching and development to reach
their potential, and I have zero faith in that occurring at SU. It's not news that few players have come in
and really developed in their time as an Orange. IF all five develop to their fullest, yeah, great class. But
that's asking a lot.

Also, that article hurt to read. A lot of talent listed that lots of people on this board had hopes they'd
attend SU, and a lot more that SU should be involved in. Zags lists four underclassmen from NJ/NYC;
to date there is no buzz whatsoever about Cuse being involved with any of them. JB's probably
banned from recruiting NJ given how he treated Roberson.

Kev

--

I wouldn't necessarily say JB's talent eval skills have gotten worse, but I don't think he puts out the effort
to go after kids as he used to, choosing instead to settle for easier guys to sign. I don't know how to think
about this class, but with the lower rated kids, they're dependent on coaching and development to reach
their potential, and I have zero faith in that occurring at SU. It's not news that few players have come in
and really developed in their time as an Orange. IF all five develop to their fullest, yeah, great class. But
that's asking a lot.

Also, that article hurt to read. A lot of talent listed that lots of people on this board had hopes they'd
attend SU, and a lot more that SU should be involved in. Zags lists four underclassmen from NJ/NYC;
to date there is no buzz whatsoever about Cuse being involved with any of them. JB's probably
banned from recruiting NJ given how he treated Roberson.

Kev
Somehow Cuse boosters need to step it up and make NIL work in our favor. Who is ready to donate to the Syracusefan.com44 Fund? Contributions of $44, $444, $4444, $44,444, $444,444, $4,444,444 and $44,444,444 are now being accepted.

Seems like lots of local kids just want to leave CNY lately. What happened to our “wasn’t moving away from home” thing?

Here's the likely reality -- this is a good, solid class filled with four year "program guys" -- especially if lower rated guys like Brown / Carey pan out.

We've done very well in the past with guys like this helping form a solid nucleus. But taking it to the next level requires a higher rated player [or two] to bolster the foundation. Maybe that's Benny, a former five star [although the early returns make that questionable].

Otherwise, we need to add some higher rated, more talented recruits to the mix. We went o-fer last year in the class of 2022 with respect to Clingan, Filipowski, Dior, Westry, Lands, and JJ -- which in turn led us to pivoting to solid but unspectacular replacements.

But we'll be "stuck" at mediocrity until we add some blue chip talent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom