Syracuse.com is a pay site now? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse.com is a pay site now?

the deal is you find 2-3 people and split the cost. much like leave the paper in the office break room and people read it.

cause if no one buys the paper or pays for digital it goes away and then you get no local paper at all.

Well, maybe they need to charge more for their online advertising.
You think they would have had someone study these things instead of just throwing something out there. This study says that $10/month is the median price that newspapers are charging for digital editions.

How much U.S. newspapers charge for digital subscriptions - American Press Institute

$10 feels right.. it also is great value compared to print. I miss getting the sunday paper though and i had digital papers.

I live out of town and payed about $27 for 13 weeks. This gets me the entire paper seven days a week (online version) and the updates during the day online.

To me, Monday is the start of the work week and I want to know what's in the news when I hit my desk.

I don't disagree, but I don't think any newspaper has operated that way in my lifetime.

syracuse.com is so popular (i believe 1 of the most popular per capita in the country) because so many out of towners read it. I can tell you so many family/friends who moved out of syracuse 10-15-20 years ago read syracuse.com more often than their local newspaper.

charging them $20 is a punch to their gut and "they gone"
I'm one of the people you mentioned

I feel bad for the HS kids. Their coverage of HS sports is pretty good.

That's actually probably going to be their biggest subscription driver - covering HS sports. Parents want to see and save clippings to help get their kids scholarships to college.

So the Post-Standard unveiled their pricing today. We've all been seeing the warnings that they are going to go paid online. It's going to cost $19.99 per month. Bad decision. If they lock down the web site, they are going to see viewership and ad revenues collapse. They should have gone out at half that price. Do they not study what others charge for online subscriptions? I mean, Netflix costs half of what the Post-Standard wants monthly.

There's a ton of free news. Not as good as the post standard but I'm not paying for it.

So the Post-Standard unveiled their pricing today. We've all been seeing the warnings that they are going to go paid online. It's going to cost $19.99 per month. Bad decision. If they lock down the web site, they are going to see viewership and ad revenues collapse. They should have gone out at half that price. Do they not study what others charge for online subscriptions? I mean, Netflix costs half of what the Post-Standard wants monthly.
Yeah, that seems...excessive.

I don't think it is going to work out for them at that price point, but good luck to them.

Sadly, I think you will be seeing a lot of the talented writers leave soon, as the revenues that pay their salaries will be drying up.

Waters, Ditota, Bailey, Mink, Carlson, et al will probably be competing for many fewer positions. And that's just the sports department. :(

I don't think it is going to work out for them at that price point, but good luck to them.

Sadly, I think you will be seeing a lot of the talented writers leave soon, as the revenues that pay their salaries will be drying up.

Waters, Ditota, Bailey, Mink, Carlson, et al will probably be competing for many fewer positions. And that's just the sports department. :(
I decided to pay the money in order to support Ditota, Waters, etc. I feel we cannot lose a local newspaper. That would be devastating. They sent me a questionnaire about why I am subscribing and asked if I would participate in a focus group for $75 if I were selected. I said yes.

That is insane. $4.99 or so, and I’d probably go for it.

Lol at $20 a month.

Question to those who may know. My Dad gets PS subscription which comes with a login to their site. Are family members allowed to use it also? I mean, it would be no different than the family all reading the Sunday paper at home, right? ;) Pass the sports and comics, please ...

Question to those who may know. My Dad gets PS subscription which comes with a login to their site. Are family members allowed to use it also? I mean, it would be no different than the family all reading the Sunday paper at home, right? ;) Pass the sports and comics, please ...
In the past we have "shared" with other newspapers. My mom got the NY Times paper, and I used her account for the online part. My husband and I have shared NY Times, and Washington Post in the past.

That is insane. $4.99 or so, and I’d probably go for it.

Lol at $20 a month.

I'd pay Francessa that rate before I'd pay the same to the sub standard

Ladies and gents, may I suggest the Daily Orange?

At times beats syracuse.com on stories, has journos talented enough that they will never work for syracuse.com, and it’s free.
Exactly, but I feel for Waters, Bailey, Carlson, Ditota and other reporters. They shut me out so I read the lead in to their articles which sometimes are the articles - otherwise it's the DO or if you have noticed more content from other online suppliers with the same information.

syracuse.com is so popular (i believe 1 of the most popular per capita in the country) because so many out of towners read it. I can tell you so many family/friends who moved out of syracuse 10-15-20 years ago read syracuse.com more often than their local newspaper.

charging them $20 is a punch to their gut and "they gone"
I'm one of them. I skim it daily, but no way I'll pay for content.

It still works in incognito, I'm sure they'll shut that down in time. I believe if you copy headline text and Google it, you should be able to still view content in the future through serp though.

They cut a ton of talented writers when they decided to go the click bait route years ago, including the sports department (and that's really the vast majority of the real reporters they have now).

They cut a ton of talented writers when they decided to go the click bait route years ago, including the sports department (and that's really the vast majority of the real reporters they have now).

They lost a lot of local interest when they let Sean Kirst leave for Buffalo’s paper.

They lost a lot of local interest when they let Sean Kirst leave for Buffalo’s paper.
Absolutely. Granted he is from out that way, but you can't all of a sudden cry for journalistic appreciation (and money) when you fired Sean a few years prior.

I'm an out-of-stater and only interested in the SU sports content. No way I'm paying $20 a month for that. I'll miss it though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom