Syracuse football’s loss to Duke felt like a funeral. Did the season die with it? | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football’s loss to Duke felt like a funeral. Did the season die with it?

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

Dino Babers, who all week kept the status of his star safety draped in a cloak of secrecy, delivered the prognosis for his starting quarterback immediately after the game in a quiet, direct manner: It’s not good.

“We’re all pulling for him," Babers said. "We wish him the best, but right now it’s not good.”

There is no use being cagey anymore. It’s there in plain sight. The quarterback is on crutches. The All-American safety is limping. Linemen are sporting shorts, leg braces and a scooter. There’s no more “we’ll see.” Andre Cisco and running back Jawhar Jordan: out indefinitely.

Sean Tucker, the freshman running back who burst onto the scene a couple weeks ago after starting the summer fourth or fifth on the depth chart did not finish the game. Neither did Geoff Cantin-Arku, the middle linebacker who scored on a fumble return to give the Orange its last lead of the game at 14-10 in the first minute of the second quarter.

How many more leads will there be?

An unbeaten Liberty team rolls into the Carrier Dome next week with an unthinkable outcome suddenly in play: This is no gimme.

There’s no such thing when 13 projected starters or key contributors are out or did not finish Saturday’s game healthy, 10 because of injury, two because of opt out, one because of NCAA transfer rules, plus eight more reserves out for the same reasons. In a year the NCAA relaxed eligibility rules, SU is fielding a team as though it is being held down by the organization’s draconian sanctions.

There’s still seven games on the schedule, but the thought of turning around an 1-3 start and avoiding a fourth losing season in five years would amount to the best coaching job in the ACC at this point.

“It’s going to be the next guy up and we have to do better as coaches," Babers said. “First responsibility is on my shoulders. That’s my team out there. Obviously, didn’t like what I saw. We have to get better on a lot of fronts if we want to have an opportunity to win again.”

Syracuse will likely move forward with quarterback Rex Culpepper, the easiest story to root for with this team. The glaring issues, the slow tempo, the shoddy run defense, the inconsistent rushing attack, they all flow downstream from the overarching health issues handicapping the Orange.

Maybe the weeks to come will yield some of those players back. Sean Tucker is expected to run again. Dakota Davis is expected to block again, helping solidify an offensive line hit especially hard by injuries.

But DeVito and Cisco, the faces of the SU offense and defense, respectively, are out indefinitely. There’s no promise we’ll see them again this year.

Probably died on the Devito sack where he got hurt.

Liberty is a great game to take a look at what we have behind Rex.

5-6 is just as good as 6-6 this year. Beat Liberty with a tFR QB and then win 3 of the games after Clemson and that is a solid season all things considered.

5-6 is just as good as 6-6 this year. Beat Liberty with a tFR QB and then win 3 of the games after Clemson and that is a solid season all things considered.

In what universe is this team winning 5 games.

I don't think we'll win another game this year...and that's coming from me.

Those were my thoughts earlier pretty much 'thank we beat GT and aren't going to go winless.'

I kind of think we see the D at their best for one more week pre Clemson though and grind it out.

How do you see 5-6, the guys behind devito were such low recruits you wouldn't believe it, liberty can come in here and easily beat us, NCST will run the ball down our throat BC is legit good, wake maybe, I could see louisville cause they can't throw the ball at all but we saw what they did to us last year, I'm thinking 3 wins 4 max if everything goes right

How do you see 5-6, the guys behind devito were such low recruits you wouldn't believe it, liberty can come in here and easily beat us, NCST will run the ball down our throat BC is legit good, wake maybe, I could see louisville cause they can't throw the ball at all but we saw what they did to us last year, I'm thinking 3 wins 4 max if everything goes right

Liberty is 1.

Wake/BC/Ville/NCState all winnable. Those teams play well as dogs and are dogsht when favored it seems. If Tommy can come back in amonth those could be 3 wins. Or if we have something in Dillon Markewitz.

The WRs are so bad at catching the ball that they might do better with a weaker armed QB vs Devito who has NFL arm strength.

Those were my thoughts earlier pretty much 'thank we beat GT and aren't going to go winless.'

I kind of think we see the D at their best for one more week pre Clemson though and grind it out.
I personally don't see another win but beating wake wouldn't surprise me we seem to have their number, we should technically beat liberty, NCST QB is terrible so maybe you get to 4 wins but I see wake and NCST as just downright better teams, hugh freeze is a much better offensive mind and overall coach then dino, they'll have momentum they are building and I could see them coming in and beating us, they have the QB from auburn, our recruiting is much better obviously so maybe we just grind on them and win but idk if we can even do that

Liberty is 1.

Wake/BC/Ville/NCState all winnable. Those teams play well as dogs and are dogsht when favored it seems. If Tommy can come back in amonth those could be 3 wins. Or if we have something in Dillon Markewitz.

The WRs are so bad at catching the ball that they might do better with a weaker armed QB vs Devito who has NFL arm strength.
Dillon is the only QB of the 3 who had somewhat of a decent offer in Boise, I'll hope he's something but idk

If we can't beat Duke. Where are 4 more wins coming from?

Dillon is the only QB of the 3 who had somewhat of a decent offer in Boise, I'll hope he's something but idk

Agree.

Situation is so bad that we have no other choice right now but play him.

Liberty won't feel sorry for us.

We don't have the horses in any of the other games.

They barely beat liberty last year with a full team. It does stink that this team has the injuries it has and everything like that but gosh this just isn’t going to be a fun year and then you pray you don’t lose the good commits you have in waiting

Lamson had a Louisville offer.

The title of this article is trash.
Dear media the fanbase is already pissed at the coaching staff for their poor performance we don’t need you jackwagons piling on because Dino isn’t nice to you.
Go screw.

That's fun but it'll be a struggle against Liberty. Then it's over.

That's fun but it'll be a struggle against Liberty. Then it's over.

Come on the ACC is soft I swear every game so far this year bar Clemson the underdog has played tough and won or come close.

They might not be fun to watch and you get UNC/Pitt all over again but we'll be competitive in some of them. If Tommy returns there are a couple wins in the mix.

Hopefully we see what we have behind Rex next week.

There may not be a win left on the schedule. BC beat Pitt, NC State has won 2 in a row, Liberty is undefeated and we'll find a way to lose to Wake, 1-11, Grob level, I was hoping I wouldn't live to see another 1-11 season but I am

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom