Syracuse football defensive tackle Steven Clark's career put in jeopardy by blood clots | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football defensive tackle Steven Clark's career put in jeopardy by blood clots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that's really scary stuff. Hopefully Steve can get past this just for his life outside of football, let alone football.

That seems frustrating that they couldn't fit a knee brace appropriately.

Steve should be fine. 3 of the 4 clots are completely gone. That 4th one is dissolving, though at a slow rate. He goes back in for a doppler in May to see if the 4th clot is completely gone. We expect it to be. Once it's gone, he's off the thinners and, according to his hematologist here in Alabama, he'll be able to play.

As far as working out, he's pretty much participating in all of the workouts, with the exception being heavy squatting. Instead, he's doing a lot of leg presses, extensions, curls, lunges, etc. He's also doing a lot of sprinting (10s, 20s, 40s, 100s), and some distance work. His bench has improved immensely; he's past 450 and will likely get to 500 before the season starts.

Sounds like a 10% chance of it not going away, with a 5% chance of getting another one? Not good - would rather have 0% :).

But prayers for the % to drop sound appropriate.

Steve should be fine. 3 of the 4 clots are completely gone. That 4th one is dissolving, though at a slow rate. He goes back in for a doppler in May to see if the 4th clot is completely gone.

As far as working out, he's pretty much participating in all of the workouts, with the exception being heavy squatting. Instead, he's doing a lot of leg presses, extensions, curls, lunges, etc. He's also doing a lot of sprinting (10s, 20s, 40s, 100s), and some distance work. His bench has improved immensely; he's past 450 and will likely get to 500 before the season starts.
Must be a relief for you that the article says it was his mother's genes, not yours. I kid, I kid.

Sounds like a 10% chance of it not going away, with a 5% chance of getting another one? Not good - would rather have 0% :).

A new clot would only happen if he were to be seriously injured. That knee injury prior to the NC State game WASN'T serious. Had it not been for shoe-horning his 2X leg into an XL brace, he'd have been ready to go for the Pitt game.

Also, he'd had experienced a worse knee injury back in his sophomore year in high school and was in a brace for the rest of that season. No problems (clotting), and was able to play 3 weeks after that injury.

My assessment of Steven I gave you freshman year still stands. This will be just a bump in the road.
Truthfully, I still am unsure about that.

A new clot would only happen if he were to be seriously injured. That knee injury prior to the NC State game WASN'T serious. Had it not been for shoe-horning his 2X leg into an XL brace, he'd have been ready to go for the Pitt game.

Also, he'd had experienced a worse knee injury back in his sophomore year in high school and was in a brace for the rest of that season. No problems (clotting), and was able to play 3 weeks after that injury.
Sigh. Is it a coincidence that the trainer involved is no longer employed by Syracuse University?

Sigh. Is it a coincidence that the trainer involved is no longer employed by Syracuse University?

I was wondering the exact same thing if losing Kellington might be addition by subtraction.

I would like to send prayers out to Steven and his family in regard to his recent medical issue. I have certainly looked forward to watching him become our "go to guy" on the Defensive Line. Aside from that, I hope he is okay and does not have any problems throughout his life with the issues he is dealing with. I know his dad is on here all the time. Good luck Steven. Hang in there and we are all pulling for you to stay healthy and in the game.

I would like to send prayers out to Steven and his family in regard to his recent medical issue. I have certainly looked forward to watching him become our "go to guy" on the Defensive Line, Aside from that, I hope he is okay and does not have any problems throughout his life with the issues he is dealing with. I know his dad is on here all the time. Good luck Steven, hang in there and we are all pulling for you to stay healthy and in the game.
Yes. Steve's dad...if you read this, tell Steven we're praying for him. I'm sure he'll be good to go come fall.

I would like to send prayers out to Steven and his family in regard to his recent medical issue. I have certainly looked forward to watching him become our "go to guy" on the Defensive Line. Aside from that, I hope he is okay and does not have any problems throughout his life with the issues he is dealing with. I know his dad is on here all the time. Good luck Steven. Hang in there and we are all pulling for you to stay healthy and in the game.
He should be fine; he tested positive for Factor 5 Leiden, but he's heterozygous.

Status
Not open for further replies.