Syracuse football defensive tackle Steven Clark's career put in jeopardy by blood clots | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football defensive tackle Steven Clark's career put in jeopardy by blood clots

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are on track more than you know. Tucker is at best an amateur - there are so many process things he did and has done wrong in the past it's incredulous. SU is insane for keeping him employed.

I'm also getting annoyed with Wildhack. Our AD should be benchmarking with at least all other ACC schools on medical protocol and process simply just to keep us on the same level as who we are expected to compete against.

Finally, don't misunderstand what I have been saying. With proper protocol, procedures and professionals in place - if the same conclusion was reached about Steven C and he was DQ'd for the kids safety, then I would be supportive of the decision. I cannot support at all who and what they currently have in place.

The lack of what to do from a benchmarking perspective makes me start to question the competence of our new AD. I do know our previous short term AD he started the process to remove Tucker as he knew what we had in place, based upon his previous experience, was quote "amateur at best" (that's why I keep repeating myself because it's not my words). Wildhack lacks the experience and understanding of how or what to do (or so it seems) so nothing changes. Nuff said.
"He started the process to remove Tucker." What process? How long could that possibly take? One call, "Hey doc - you're in over your head and we've decided to go in another direction. Thank you for your prior service and enjoy your retirement." or "hey doc - thanks for your time here, but to save money we've decided to replace you with this rubber stamp that says 'DQ'd'."

Was this guy part of the Dome naming rights deal and can also never be removed?

"He started the process to remove Tucker." What process? How long could that possibly take? One call, "Hey doc - you're in over your head and we've decided to go in another direction. Thank you for your prior service and enjoy your retirement." or "hey doc - thanks for your time here, but to save money we've decided to replace you with this rubber stamp that says 'DQ'd'."

Was this guy part of the Dome naming rights deal and can also never be removed?

You do most places you can't just pick up the phone and fire a higher level employee, right? I'm sure Dr. Tucker has a contract with SU and there is a process to get rid of him. Also Chakka has been spot on with information for years no need to be a smart a$$ when you don't understand :)

You do most places you can't just pick up the phone and fire a higher level employee, right? I'm sure Dr. Tucker has a contract with SU and there is a process to get rid of him. Also Chakka has been spot on with information for years no need to be a smart a$$ when you don't understand :)
Relax - not attacking Chakka at all and really appreciate the insight. My post is venting frustration and mostly tongue in cheek. Thought the rubber stamp line would be a give away on that. Sheesh

Relax - not attacking Chakka at all and really appreciate the insight. My post is venting frustration and mostly tongue in cheek. Thought the rubber stamp line would be a give away on that. Sheesh
It wasn't a give away. It is possible to attack in one sentence and make a snarky, tongue in cheek comment in the next. That's how I read your post as well.

Didn't know that.

It was supposed to be a complete overhaul job - new coach, new S&T, new medical staff, new Dome, plus other stuff, etc.

It wasn't a give away. It is possible to attack in one sentence and make a snarky, tongue in cheek comment in the next. That's how I read your post as well.

Hey guys Orangemojo said it wasn't directed at me so I'm good.

Regarding change, even replacing our S&T coach didn't happen right away or even replacing the good doctor DG. With a public University any change takes time and multiple hurdles to jump over it's not like in business.

I've read probably everything written about this situation and have not commented until now. The only reason I am commenting now is to articulate what I feel is a bad decision that my alma mater has made and, what I am convinced, is the reason behind it.

I am a life long Syracuse fan, but I am not one of those rah rah guys that says "my school, right or wrong," or for that matter, "my country, right or wrong." I believe that Syracuse University has a duty to do the right thing, regardless of consequences. There is little doubt of the motivation here. Instead of using the "CYA" reason, or the "litigation" terminology, the University is afraid of a 5% chance that Steven will have the worst happen from a connected injury to his genetic diagnosis while playing football, which could result in a law suit from the family for allowing him to play. Therein is the motivation, plain and simple.

Dr. Tucker is a front man for a verbal policy that in all probability was devised behind closed doors and kept secret at the highest levels of the University. Think chancellor and Board of Trustees here and that Dr. Tucker was chosen to implement it. There have been too many situations like this to overlook and the same cast of characters.

The University speaks eloquently of their devotion to the scholar athlete and acting in their best interests. I whole heartedly agree with this, if true. However, something really smells here between what they say and what they do. The decision that effects the medical status of a patient is supposed to be made by the patient, in consultation with family and the physicians of their choice, not an entity that has a primary concern of litigation or removing the curtain of hypocrisy that exposes it.

The solution is simple; a signed agreement with the family that allows the patient to play, but if the worst happens, to not be held liable. However, such an agreement would not necessarily place the University in the daylight, as to their motives.

Therefore, I suggest that the Clark family file a law suit against the University for over ruling the right to chose their own physician and placing the future aspirations of the patient in jeopardy. I am sure those aspirations include the NFL. If the University is placed in a position of damned if they do or damned if they don't, this may well open their eyes to doing the right thing in the first place. That. Is. All.

There is no lawsuit to be had. The University has the right to say who they think is physically able to play. Not some Dr in Alabama. The University may indeed be wrong. Or not. But it is their responsibility.

There is no lawsuit to be had. The University has the right to say who they think is physically able to play. Not some Dr in Alabama. The University may indeed be wrong. Or not. But it is their responsibility.
The University has many responsibilities, and money over doing the right thing is not one of them. I'll list you as one of rah rah guys.

I've been on this board, and many of its previous iterations, since the late 90's. I went to SU and loved the experience...the teachers and the students.

But- I had very little love for the administration back then. Still have little faith that they do the right thing more often than not.

The University has many responsibilities, and money over doing the right thing is not one of them. I'll list you as one of rah rah guys.
understanding adult responsibility is not rah rah. Just writing things because you are frustrated is just being a child. What would happen to the recruiting of our program if a kid died and the school was warned he had a medical condition. Not a lawsuit from the family. What other schools would say about Syracuse during recruiting ? Not to mention, Syracuse has dr's to make these decisions. Not dr shopping to find A dr somewhere that will say the kid can play. Not to mention, you have been here for about 5 minutes. I doubt you will last much more.

I think the lawsuit would be more related to the use of the improper medical device that resulted in the blood clots in the first place. It may be the real reason Steven was disqualified. Complex situations seem to impact players negatively most of the time. I don't know if there is liability but there may be, if the improper device actually caused the condition and if it was applied by SU medical staff. Steven may have a blood condition but the clotting was caused largely by the device if I understand it correctly or at least by one perspective.

I think the lawsuit would be more related to the use of the improper medical device that resulted in the blood clots in the first place. It may be the real reason Steven was disqualified. Complex situations seem to impact players negatively most of the time. I don't know if there is liability but there may be, if the improper device actually caused the condition and if it was applied by SU medical staff. Steven may have a blood condition but the clotting was caused largely by the device if I understand it correctly or at least by one perspective.
Good luck to them. But that is a far different thing than Syracuse is going to be sued to make them play him. That isn't happening. plus, doesn't the fact that the Clark's have dr's that say he A-okay to play hurt that kind of lawsuit?

nothing we have heard says that this decision was made for the kids safety first. if anything past history has shown lately the school is erring on the side of decreasing liability issues first and the kids safety second. the fact that we have had multiple kids lately get told no by the school and then have other schools/drs say yes would tell you this.

Good luck to them. But that is a far different thing than Syracuse is going to be sued to make them play him. That isn't happening. plus, doesn't the fact that the Clark's have dr's that say he A-okay to play hurt that kind of lawsuit?
It's one of those situations where both sides may have mixed motivations. I'm mostly an anti-lawsuit advocate but know SU has to be concerned about it, and would expect that to be one consideration in their decisions about Steven. It's safer to DQ him than risk further injury where SU may have exposure. Things don't always work out for anyone involved.

th

It's one of those situations where both sides may have mixed motivations. I'm mostly an anti-lawsuit advocate but know SU has to be concerned about it, and would expect that to be one consideration in their decisions about Steven. It's safer to DQ him than risk further injury where SU may have exposure. Things don't always work out for anyone involved.

th
LOL... Exactly! And don't forget, leave the guns and take the canoles.

Bcubs im sorry to hear about Steven. I'm going to stay out of the football/medical debate for now and just says that I hope that he has a nice long and healthy life and is free from these issues in the future. If you get lucky you get 80 or so years to dance on this marble si I wish him all the best.

There isn't going to be a lawsuit. In my opinion, it wouldn't change anything as it concerns Steven. I would strongly suggest, though, that those who can should do whatever to ensure that situations such as these don't happen again.

Anyways, we're going to "go dark" for a while; Steven and the family have things to discuss, options to explore, and decisions to make. Thanks to all who have supported Steven from the beginning.

There isn't going to be a lawsuit. In my opinion, it wouldn't change anything as it concerns Steven. I would strongly suggest, though, that those who can should do whatever to ensure that situations such as these don't happen again.

Anyways, we're going to "go dark" for a while; Steven and the family have things to discuss, options to explore, and decisions to make. Thanks to all who have supported Steven from the beginning.
Check in when you can. We know you will make the best decision in regards to Steven's future.

It was supposed to be a complete overhaul job - new coach, new S&T, new medical staff, new Dome, plus other stuff, etc.

Hey guys Orangemojo said it wasn't directed at me so I'm good.

Regarding change, even replacing our S&T coach didn't happen right away or even replacing the good doctor DG. With a public University any change takes time and multiple hurdles to jump over it's not like in business.
SU is private. Still agree there is a formal process that needs to be followed.

There's alot of focus on the brace fitting. That doesn't play into this situation as most think. If the brace was too tight, it could have caused a DVT(deep vein thrombosis). A fancy name for a clot in a deep vein close to the bone line. This can happen in any athlete. Point is, this tight brace isnt what caused this genetic condition. So, let's throw that out. Furthermore, the big point is that some hematologists believe that SC doesn't need a blood thinner the rest of his life, thus not putting him at risk for contact internal injuries and bleeding. Resulting in him continuing his career. AGAIN! Let's get a neutral NCAA panel of 11 docs to make these decisions, instead of a local ma/pa primary doc who is everyone's fav community doc. Possibly a doc who doesn't even like fb and might not even allow his kids or grandchildren to play the game we all love.
Actually the fitting of the brace is very important here. He had no history of blood clots prior to the brace, suggesting that the discovery of the gene is more of an excuse than a cause. Somebody having a certain genetic marker does not guarantee that a specific condition will arise.

Wow. Thanks. I'd definitely describe that as risk averse.

Really sorry about this turn of events. I've enjoyed following Steven's progression through the program from the time he first appeared on the scene as a prospect. I hope he is still able to play even if it isn't at Syracuse.
8/1000 is the same as 1/125 so it's about the same as the dying in a car accident stat.

I'm not saying this to suggest he should be dq'd, I won't hesitate to put me and my family in a car later today, just pointing out we have to be careful/accurate when comparing numbers.

If you read that post as an attack on Chakka I can't help you.
I've known for a long, long time that I can't be helped. And I saw your post that it wasn't an attack on chakka, so I knew that as well. I was merely adding an aside to say that the intent of your post wasn't completely clear to some of us. That's all.
But, enough with this hijack. I feel terrible for the Clarks and I wish them all the best and I will be interested to see how this all works out for them.
I also hope this leads to some protocol changes with the SU AD.

Not to mention, you have been here for about 5 minutes. I doubt you will last much more.
All in good humor here... he joined 2 days before you.
That said, I agree with your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.