Syracuse Football Documentary | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Football Documentary

cuse309

Ace recruiting beat reporter
Forgive me if this has been posted, as I'm sure it has at some point due to it being 8 years old, but I stumbled across this very well done documentary on youtube about the final game played at Archibold. I had no idea the chaos that ensued after the game, with fans destroying the stadium, ripping up turf, tearing out bleachers, destroying the goal posts etc.
A lot of cool archival footage, actual super 8 video shot by fans, and interviews with some big names in SU football.
Very well done.
Archbold Stadium: The Story of '78

Between Old Archie and The Dome: (Short supplemental doc to the one above about the '79 season played on the road.
Between Old Archie and the Dome: 1979

I’ve never seen that. Great great documentary. Brings back so many memories. Thanks for posting.

Love this. Especially the antiquated scoreboard - designed and built by Mr. Miller's 8th grade shop class. Our 1908 stadium was the 2nd oldest in college football (behind Harvard's I think). Recruits weren't even shown it when they visited. That's why I'll always marvel at the Dome, despite it's supposed deficiencies. Did you ever sit in 25 degree weather in November on raw concrete to watch BC or WVU battle the Orange before 11-12,000 hearty souls? And yes, as a matter of fact, our trek to and from Archbold was uphill both ways.
Navy was ranked and the usually reliable Phil McConkey dropped a key pass. Morris and Hurley were stellar. We grabbed a piece of a bleacher seat. A far simpler time. Enjoyed it then, enjoy it now.

A great day indeed. I was only 8. One of my earliest Orange life moments. This video shows up here every so often. Worth the watch every time.

Love this. Especially the antiquated scoreboard - designed and built by Mr. Miller's 8th grade shop class. Our 1908 stadium was the 2nd oldest in college football (behind Harvard's I think). Recruits weren't even shown it when they visited. That's why I'll always marvel at the Dome, despite it's supposed deficiencies. Did you ever sit in 25 degree weather in November on raw concrete to watch BC or WVU battle the Orange before 11-12,000 hearty souls? And yes, as a matter of fact, our trek to and from Archbold was uphill both ways.
Navy was ranked and the usually reliable Phil McConkey dropped a key pass. Morris and Hurley were stellar. We grabbed a piece of a bleacher seat. A far simpler time. Enjoyed it then, enjoy it now.

McConkey went out with a knee injury in the first half while trying to field a punt. Key moment in the game. Of course Hurley was still out with the ribs injury suffered earlier in the year against FSU.

One thing I had totally forgotten about that day was the Randy Edsall interception. What a duck into double coverage! Boo Randy, just boo!!

Still have my hunk of endzone turf, piece of goal post net and hunk of wood from something I can’t remember. Fun day!

McConkey went out with a knee injury in the first half while trying to field a punt. Key moment in the game. Of course Hurley was still out with the ribs injury suffered earlier in the year against FSU.

One thing I had totally forgotten about that day was the Randy Edsall interception. What a duck into double coverage! Boo Randy, just boo!!
You’re right. Hurley played in the WVU game (after the FSU rib injury) and redshirted. Tim Wilson was the quarterback for a while after that.
The next year all on the road, we almost broke thru with Morris, Monk, Wolfley, Collins and Hurley.

It reminds me of when they closed Manley. The local writer implored people not to destroy it because it was still going to be used.

I enjoy watching this video every 2 or 3 years when somebody rediscovers it and makes a post. sutomcat sometimes chimes in with his awesome story about the memento he brought home from that game.
Not sure what that is exactly, but I brought home my fair share as well.

Not sure what that is exactly, but I brought home my fair share as well.

It's a goal post - I hope when he gets the chance he's able to share the story in this thread. It's a good one.

Thank you. I am quite sure I am one of the people carrying that crossbar up from the field to ground level behind the East end zone (where Archbold Gym is). Look at about the 1:32 mark. Never carried something that heavy with 15-20 people before. It was heavy, covered with Vaseline and bumping all over as we constantly changed elevation climbing the steps to the top. I don’t recommend trying it. Every once in a while the full weight would literally fall on my shoulder and hurt like hell.

Trying to cut heavy gauge aluminum with a hacksaw is tough. Especially the welded seam, which is where all the hacksaw blades seem to get broken.

In retrospect, it was an incredibly foolish thing to even try. But i was a frosh at SU, very excited, had a strong love for SU football and SU football history, and I had to have a section of that cross bar. It remains one of my most treasured artifacts. If I ever get time to set up an SU Man Cave, it will be a big part of it.

true story. Maloney yelled at Edsall all the way to the locker room. You fxxxd me Edsall, he kept yelling.

Thank you. I am quite sure I am one of the people carrying that crossbar up from the field to ground level behind the East end zone (where Archbold Gym is). Look at about the 1:32 mark. Never carried something that heavy with 15-20 people before. It was heavy, covered with Vaseline and bumping all over as we constantly changed elevation climbing the steps to the top. I don’t recommend trying it. Every once in a while the full weight would literally fall on my shoulder and hurt like hell.

Trying to cut heavy gauge aluminum with a hacksaw is tough. Especially the welded seam, which is where all the hacksaw blades seem to get broken.

In retrospect, it was an incredibly foolish thing to even try. But i was a frosh at SU, very excited, had a strong love for SU football and SU football history, and I had to have a section of that cross bar. It remains one of my most treasured artifacts. If I ever get time to set up an SU Man Cave, it will be a big part of it.
great stuff. Me too, I'm 99% certain I'm the kid in the endzone in the backround at the 23:45 mark scooping up some endzone turf as that's exactly where I got it from and hung out in after the game til they kicked us out. I had it forever along with some seating and an orange wood railing. What a day that was.

But dude me you know what this means..... you and I have been around for a looong while!

great stuff. Me too, I'm 99% certain I'm the kid in the endzone in the backround at the 23:45 mark scooping up some endzone turf as that's exactly where I got it from and hung out in after the game til they kicked us out. I had it forever along with some seating and an orange wood railing. What a day that was.

But dude me you know what this means... you and I have been around for a looong while!

I was with you two, just less adventurous and content with my small chunks of concrete, wood and turf.

I will always say that the look and sound of the literal dismantling of that stadium by fans as the Orangemen were pulling a significant upset is one of the most bizarre experiences I’ve had in decades of watching and playing sports.

To be clear, things were being ripped and hammered and chiseled to pieces throughout the game, especially in the second half.

I
To be clear, things were being ripped and hammered and chiseled to pieces throughout the game, especially in the second half.
Indeed. I was 8. I got many chunks of concrete, and ripped up blue end zone grass that I have in a jar. I got orange wood pieces from a guy with bloodied hands (seriously). I will never forget that. Ever.

Forgive me if this has been posted, as I'm sure it has at some point due to it being 8 years old, but I stumbled across this very well done documentary on youtube about the final game played at Archibold. I had no idea the chaos that ensued after the game, with fans destroying the stadium, ripping up turf, tearing out bleachers, destroying the goal posts etc.
A lot of cool archival footage, actual super 8 video shot by fans, and interviews with some big names in SU football.
Very well done.
Archbold Stadium: The Story of '78

Between Old Archie and The Dome: (Short supplemental doc to the one above about the '79 season played on the road.
Between Old Archie and the Dome: 1979

Great Find! I really liked the part of the clip that at the start of the second half, the starting QB Bill Hurley gets hurt and is out of the game. The backup QB comes in and promptly throws an INT near the goal line. That backup QB was non other than....RANDY EDSALL! Go figure?

Mr Miller? Can I ask where the shop class was held? There was a Mr Miller at Eastwood Junior High and I believe he taught shop class for the 8th grade. When was it made? Thought I have seen it in videos going back at least to the mid 1960s.