Syracuse football legend Floyd Little will leave in June | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football legend Floyd Little will leave in June

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

Little, who will be 74 on the 4th of July, has served for these past five years as the Special Assistant to the Athletics Director. Thanks to his decorated career at Syracuse and in the old American Football League with the Denver Broncos, he is a member of both the College Football and Pro Football halls of fame.

So, Little is a bona fide legend and one who should be allowed to walk away on his own terms. And, he insisted, that is the case in this circumstance.

"I was given a free ride, a free hand, for as long as I wanted to be here," declared Little, who will receive an honorary doctorate from SU during Sunday's on-campus commencement exercises. "They never told me they were cutting back on my position. It was as solid as anybody's. They would have me stay as long as I wanted to stay."

So, he was asked, you're not being dismissed by the school's bean-counters?

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no," responded Little, who famously wore No. 44 during his Orange career. "On the contrary, if I wanted to stay for another 10 years, they would love that. And probably, they'd give me a raise. No, I am not being run out. I just figured it's time to relax.

Little, who will be 74 on the 4th of July, has served for these past five years as the Special Assistant to the Athletics Director. Thanks to his decorated career at Syracuse and in the old American Football League with the Denver Broncos, he is a member of both the College Football and Pro Football halls of fame.

So, Little is a bona fide legend and one who should be allowed to walk away on his own terms. And, he insisted, that is the case in this circumstance.

"I was given a free ride, a free hand, for as long as I wanted to be here," declared Little, who will receive an honorary doctorate from SU during Sunday's on-campus commencement exercises. "They never told me they were cutting back on my position. It was as solid as anybody's. They would have me stay as long as I wanted to stay."

So, he was asked, you're not being dismissed by the school's bean-counters?

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no," responded Little, who famously wore No. 44 during his Orange career. "On the contrary, if I wanted to stay for another 10 years, they would love that. And probably, they'd give me a raise. No, I am not being run out. I just figured it's time to relax.

That's old news but maybe just reported with a date. Didn't someone say this last fall?

OrangeXtreme said:

We knew this was coming, but that's three for today.

Enough.

That's old news but maybe just reported with a date. Didn't someone say this last fall?

Someone mentioned earlier that he would step down at the end of the school year.

rrlbees said:

On the pay side.

I don't think it was documented in the PS.

I would have asked Little if he plans to come back often.

That was the hole in the story.

Just glad I finally had a picture taken with him last fall.

We knew this was coming, but that's three for today.

Enough.
Sorry, living in a hole over here, what's the third? Must of missed that one.

jr4750 said:
Sorry, living in a hole over here, what's the third? Must of missed that one.

Malachi.

Bean counters, aka Accountants, don't make hire/fire decisions (unless is their own staff)

<---on a crusade to dispel this myth.

Me. He told me in November when I was in Las Vegas. I asked about it on here, and no one else seemed to know about it then, which I thought was strange. Even to the point of my second guessing it. Then I asked DeBorah the next time I saw her, and she confirmed it again. But he also was originally leaving in December, and then extended it because DeBorah still was finishing up her degree.

llandz said:
Me. He told me in November when I was in Las Vegas. I asked about it on here, and no one else seemed to know about it then, which I thought was strange. Even to the point of my second guessing it. Then I asked DeBorah the next time I saw her, and she confirmed it again. But he also was originally leaving in December, and then extended it because DeBorah still was finishing up her degree.

Ha. I knew I had seen something mentioned previously. Now I remember.

When you never hear a complaint about a guy who has been in the limelight and been around a long time, you know he has to be a great guy. Would love to meet the man. My father used to tell me about watching him play. FL was/is one of the great pillars of Syracuse sports and a great ambassador for the school. Sorry to see him step down.

Floyd is an awesome guy. Irreplaceable.
Hopefully there will be another football alumnus in the coming years that can help the AD. I just don't see how that person will be as likable, impressive and well known. The closest I can come up with is Donnie Mc, but he's not at the right stage in life nor as well known, from a football standpoint, outside of Syracuse.

Just FYI he doesn't actually want to leave, wish I could say more.
this likely falls into 1 of 2 catagories...

1. family/health
2. his boss

seems like reason #2 is gone.

hopefully, its not for reason 1.

13151167_1004409539644414_395759724_n.jpg

Guy is Legend in every way. I would think that he will still be involved, as much as he loves Syracuse I don't think anyone would be able keep him away.