Syracuse football legend Floyd Little will leave in June | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football legend Floyd Little will leave in June

Cool moment at graduation this morning.

After Little received his honorary degree, someone yelled out in a quiet Dome, "44!"

Wish they give Little an opportunity to speak. I'm sure it would have been good.

Shame today was Floyd's last day.
Huge loss for SU, this didn't have to happen Oh Lord

Shame today was Floyd's last day.
Huge loss for SU, this didn't have to happen Oh Lord

I thought he was staying on until they found an AD replacement.

If he accepted SU's severance pkg in December it probably had a 6 month limit. :(

orange79 said:
Dude wanted to retire. Can't hold that against him. He wasn't shown the door.

The lengths people go to find nefarious intent at SU is mind blowing.

The lengths people go to find nefarious intent at SU is mind blowing.
This will be my last comment on this.
He really wanted to stay and that's a fact not opinion.

This will be my last comment on this.
He really wanted to stay and that's a fact not opinion.
He must be a pretty loyal soldier, making up stories and falling on his sword like this.

"It's true," he said Wednesday. "It's painful. But they offered a voluntary separation package, and I thought I would accept it. Still, it's been very difficult because I have more friends here in Syracuse than any place in the world.

"It's hard for me to leave them. I'm not looking forward to it. But the package was a good one. And, you know, it's time. I've been working for 50 or 60 years. It's time to start enjoying and do some traveling, and I'm going to take advantage of that."

Little, who will be 74 on the 4th of July, has served for these past five years as the Special Assistant to the Athletics Director. Thanks to his decorated career at Syracuse and in the American and National football leagues with the Denver Broncos, he is a member of both the College Football and Pro Football halls of fame.

So, Little is a bona fide legend and one who should be allowed to walk away on his own terms. And, he insisted, that is the case in this circumstance.

"I was given a free ride, a free hand, for as long as I wanted to be here," declared Little, who will receive an honorary doctorate from SU during Sunday's on-campus commencement exercises. "They never told me they were cutting back on my position. It was as solid as anybody's. They would have me stay as long as I wanted to stay."

So, he was asked, you're not being dismissed by the school's bean-counters?

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no," responded Little, who famously wore No. 44 during his Orange career. "On the contrary, if I wanted to stay for another 10 years, they would love that. And probably, they'd give me a raise. No, I am not being run out. I just figured it's time to relax.

"But it has been the best job I ever had. The people I've been able to touch in this capacity have been unbelievable. It's been wonderful. Nobody wants me to leave. Not even the chancellor. If they didn't offer me that package, we wouldn't be having this conversation."

From the May 11, 2016 article Syracuse football legend Floyd Little will leave in June

[QUOTE="orange79, post: 1780055, member: 159 Nobody wants me to leave. Not even the chancellor. If they didn't offer me that package, we wouldn't be having this conversation."

From the May 11, 2016 article Syracuse football legend Floyd Little will leave in June[/QUOTE]

The bolded quote says it all. Syracuse was offering severance packages, Mr. Little accepted the package (which he stated was very good) and at the time of the decision, there was an AD in place, football issues were being resolved, everything seemed well and good. Events happened and we all wish we could keep him a little longer - even Mr. Little would prefer that under the circumstances.

Regardless, Mr. Little has been a great member of the Orange family for more than half a century, he is a very good man in all respects and great ambassador for the University.

Thank you, Floyd Little, from a local kid that grew up listening to his father tell the tales of Jim Brown, Ernie Davis and Floyd Little, the three men that made #44 the great number it is today. May your example serve as a model for us all.

P.S. I tell these same stories to my girls and my sons-in-law, keeping the legend alive.