Syracuse football players sit out first practice with coronavirus concerns | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football players sit out first practice with coronavirus concerns

The media used to report the news now they thrive on creating it. It is all about swaying public opinion.
Which is what that reporter is trying to do.

When people say media want the season cancelled it’s reporting like that.
I want the season cancelled but that type of reporting isn’t journalism.

The media used to report the news now they thrive on creating it. It is all about swaying public opinion.
You should read about the history of media. Start with William Randolph Hearst and the Spanish-American War. The idea that the media "used to report the news" is preposterous. If anything, it's better today than it was years ago.

You should read about the history of media. Start with William Randolph Hearst and the Spanish-American War. The idea that the media "used to report the news" is preposterous. If anything, it's better today than it was years ago.

The news is just fine. How one goes about finding the news delivered correctly, an issue altogether.

The news is just fine. How one goes about finding the news delivered correctly, an issue altogether.
The news is more agenda than ever.

It doesn’t help that the current POTUS realizes he can use the distrust in the media as a strategy.

It doesn’t change the fact the media has become more agenda driven than fact driven.

"The media" is an easy target, and too often reporters and columnists give people every opportunity to trash them by employing shoddy methods.

But most reporters take their job very seriously, and work extremely hard to deliver news, be it sports, politics, science, health, or whatever.

The news is more agenda than ever.

It doesn’t help that the current POTUS realizes he can use the distrust in the media as a strategy.

It doesn’t change the fact the media has become more agenda driven than fact driven.

People are paying more attention to things now vs 4 years ago because Trump has made it a bigger issue to less educated people (who never paid attention). Those who claim fake news are the first ones to peddle qanon nonsense.

I feel like there's better journalism now than ever if you look for it.

People are paying more attention to things now vs 4 years ago because Trump has made it a bigger issue to less educated people (who never paid attention). Those who claim fake news are the first ones to peddle qanon nonsense.

I feel like there's better journalism now than ever if you look for it.
You don’t get paid appearances if you are a good journalist.

You don’t increase your brand.

Hans Nichols, Pete Williams, Ashley Parker type of journalists are a dying breed.

They want to get paid appearances
On CNN, Fox, MSNBC.
That is where the money is made and it pays to be more of a hack to get in on the grift.

This kid at the Athletic knows what he has to do to increase his brand.
Sensationalize the story.

It's a tweet.

It's not a reflection on journalism.
Read the story.

One source and then state multiple players are concerned.

It’s clear the kid talked to one player and inferring based on that player.
It’s not good journalism.
It will get him on radio shows and then increase the brand based on a tweet intended to do what we are talking about.
It’s not hard to call it out.

So if student are on campus and doing remote learning what is the point of being on campus?

They can’t have events, can’t legally socialize.
It’s not jail but remote learning and being on campus sounds like a waste of money on room and board.
You're entitled to your opinion. But your facts aren't accurate. My daughter is an officer in a club. Their big event has been cancelled, but they are allowed to have smaller events/outings. And, as I said in my post, she will be in a 2 bedroom apartment at Skytop. She has a few other friends in the same row of apartments. As I also said, she is probably safer there than at home due to us living in a tourist area in Vermont that has been full of out-of-towners (I've seen license plates from every state but Hawaii and Alaska this summer). The tri-state people haven't exactly been active participants in our protocols. At least at SU I know all the students have been tested at least.

Read the story.

One source and then state multiple players are concerned.

It’s clear the kid talked to one player and inferring based on that player.
It’s not good journalism.
It will get him on radio shows and then increase the brand based on a tweet intended to do what we are talking about.
It’s not hard to call it out.

My bad, I just saw the tweet, no linked story.

Amen.
Well, when 160,000 people die, and counting, people tend to be a bit sensitive to numbers rising.

Plus, it's no coincidence that when the WH changed the reporting entity, numbers suddenly became harder to come by.

Better way is to look at hospitalizations rather than positive cases. Several of the "hot spots" have seen a material decline in hospitalizations over the last 2-3 weeks.
I don't know how trustworthy those numbers are, though. The timing coincides with the change in reporting procedures.

Well, when 160,000 people die, and counting, people tend to be a bit sensitive to numbers rising.

Plus, it's no coincidence that when the WH changed the reporting entity, numbers suddenly became harder to come by.

FL, TX and AZ have a combined mortality rate of < 2% while NY/NJ/CT have a combined mortality rate > 8%. 1/3 of US covid deaths were in the tri-state area but to hear the "media" tell it the tri-state governors are heroes despite disastrous policies wrt to handling of their nursing homes. Will the last one out of NYC please turn out the lights.

I have a buddy who lives in FLA.
Gov. Deathsantis used the threat of Tropical Storm Isaias to shut down about HALF of the testing centers.
Even though it bypassed them.

Of course their #'s went down.
Trump was right - less tests = less positives. :rolleyes:

There is some serious 1984-level stuff going on.
In America. In 2020.
Cheap shot...those testing centers are out in parking lots under canopies. You need time to break everything down. Hurricanes are unpredictable and just a 20 degree change and slowing down could have brought a Cat 2 or 3 on the mainland.

I don't know how trustworthy those numbers are, though. The timing coincides with the change in reporting procedures.

The chart above shows a 50% decline in new cases and an approx. 40% decline in hospitalizations in Florida. Both over the last 3-4 weeks.

The chart above shows a 50% decline in new cases and an approx. 40% decline in hospitalizations in Florida. Both over the last 3-4 weeks.
But are the data being correctly reported? These experts, including people in the agencies currently, are skeptical.

Data is tough to figure out. Johns Hopkins site has this for Florida, which suggest much is not changing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 3.59.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 3.59.16 PM.png
    288.3 KB · Views: 100
But are the data being correctly reported? These experts, including people in the agencies currently, are skeptical.

When you have a man who died in a motorcycle accident counted as a COVID death, the UK reducing their COVID deaths by over 5000 just this week, people being told their test was positive when they NEVER took a test (I have real world experience with this), and the Governor of Ohio being told in the morning he's positive and then the afternoon he's negative, then you can rest assured the data is not correct.

FL, TX and AZ have a combined mortality rate of < 2% while NY/NJ/CT have a combined mortality rate > 8%. 1/3 of US covid deaths were in the tri-state area but to hear the "media" tell it the tri-state governors are heroes despite disastrous policies wrt to handling of their nursing homes. Will the last one out of NYC please turn out the lights.

won’t get into it here on the fball board but it’s obvious why those numbers are so. 3 quick things. 3m travelers from Europe to nyc airports. Hit early. Population and public transportation density.

Funny what happens when a lethal virus that was first found in humans 8 months ago ravages a highly populated metropolitan area. It's almost as if an area that is first hit by it might see more human suffering than areas that are hit later on, after doctors and scientists have frantically raced to find therapeutics and treatments.

Nahhhhh, that couldn't be it.

Harder to find info on AZ (than FLA and TX) but I just saw a chart that showed new hospitalizations plummeting, like down more than 70% from peak levels a few weeks ago in AZ. Over the last four weeks Florida has seen a 40% decline in overall covid hospitalizations while nearly a 50% decline for Houston.
All AZ info is on AZdhS website.

ICU Bed usage is down from low 90s to 80s

ED bed usage is about 40 down from 46-48 percent

Inpatient bed usage about 80ish