Syracuse football players sit out first practice with coronavirus concerns | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football players sit out first practice with coronavirus concerns

Bailey: Players aren't happy with testing every 14 days.

Tested yesterday (ahead of schedule), won't practice again until test results come in.

Players are concerned about ACC standards.

Dino hasn't addressed the media since the players sat out the 1st time.

DeVito is eager to prove that he's better than what everyone saw last year. Is the OL up to the task?

Bleich still waiting to hear on waiver.

There may be more opt outs.

Last edited:
If the ACC wants to play, ALL schools need to start testing weekly now and 2x/week once they get to game week. I didn't expect a lack of testing and stringent protocol to be the reason things may not work out. Whatever they think is safe...it needs to go up even more.

Fortunately the main idiot is an FSU fan. No actual Syracuse fans, alumni or CNY locals seemed to be critical of the players. A guy with a Pat Buchanan '92 avatar is very angry though.
Pat is an underrated college football analyst

Tested yesterday (ahead of schedule), won't practice again until test results come in.

DeVito is eager to prove that he's better than what everyone saw last year. Is the OL up to the task?

Testing every 14 days? Try to just get a test where I am. How often do they want? Every day? Every week? Every hour? I mean at some point testing can’t protect you so these guys would be just better off sitting out if that worried

You're deflecting from what I said. Syracuse is not the only school with students on campus this Fall. Harvard being the best of the bunch.
My understanding, is Harvard will be all Online. If freshman desire, they can be on campus, but then they'll send them home, and any Sr that desires, will then be allowed on campus. No international students, due to no in person class.

I hope the tests they are using aren't ones that take 8-10 days to get the results.

I did a quick search of the Internet. My guess is that SU is paying around $100 per test. This might be one of those times when not having a medical school is really bad.

If they are doing individual tests (not sure but I suspect this is going to be required as the team practices as a unit, instead of using pods), and $100 a test is right (the article says most provides change between $50 and $200), and we say conservatively that the number of tests required to cover the team and the staff is 150 (it is probably more), every round of tests is $15K.

I think we are in week 1 of 18 for the season.

If you test the whole team once a week, the cost for the season would be $270K.

Twice a week and the price increases to $540K.

Three times a week would cost $810K.

I am pretty sure the real costs are more; I was being conservative across the board.

My understanding, is Harvard will be all Online. If freshman desire, they can be on campus, but then they'll send them home, and any Sr that desires, will then be allowed on campus. No international students, due to no in person class.

They said no kids on campus. I take that as no kids should be back period. Syracuse will not have lectures in person. Recitations may be the same as well from what I was told. SU is not the only school that brought kids back to school. Ohio State began move in earlier this week among others. You know that the SEC schools are going to have them back on campus.

All ACC teams should have weekly third party testing. Any player that is uncomfortable with that should sit out. If a school is unable to field a team they forfeit their share of the football money this year.

Last edited:
Testing every 14 days? Try to just get a test where I am. How often do they want? Every day? Every week? Every hour? I mean at some point testing can’t protect you so these guys would be just better off sitting out if that worried
Yeah, I wonder if they are the only team that is refusing to practice because they don't feel they are testing enough?

Has anyone heard of any other football team refusing to practice because of lack of testing?

Is it the mindset of just our players? or is it because it is really lacking compared to peer/P5/ACC schools?

Not sure if SU would avail itself of this option, but NY has a program offering free Covid tests at designated sites. COVID-19 Testing. Upstate is one of those sites.
The University is obviously free to do its own tests and is not required to send FB players to Upstate. But I'm sure an arrangement could be made with Upstate that would provide players with additional testing options and save the U a lot of money.
Not sure if that would be allowed though, considering the “official hospital of SU Athletics” is Crouse. You’d think Crouse would have an arrangement with them, given their partnership. But I’m not sure how the testing capacity compares at Crouse vs. Upstate.

They said no kids on campus. I take that as no kids should be back period. Syracuse will not have lectures in person. Recitations may be the same as well from what I was told. SU is not the only school that brought kids back to school. Ohio State began move in earlier this week among others. You know that the SEC schools are going to have them back on campus.
My daughter has 5/6 classes online. It was going to be 4 but one prof's kids will not be back in elementary school until October-ish, so he needs to work from home. She has 3 recitation sessions in-person.
We live in a tourist area and want her to go back to school. She will be living at Skytop, so i'm not concerned about a dorm environment. I believe she is safer at SU than at home.
I also know of other NY state colleges who are going to be on campus, so it isn't like SU is on an island here. I think Vermont's colleges are hosting students, as well, with the option to remain home and be online.

My daughter has 5/6 classes online. It was going to be 4 but one prof's kids will not be back in elementary school until October-ish, so he needs to work from home. She has 3 recitation sessions in-person.
We live in a tourist area and want her to go back to school. She will be living at Skytop, so i'm not concerned about a dorm environment. I believe she is safer at SU than at home.
I also know of other NY state colleges who are going to be on campus, so it isn't like SU is on an island here. I think Vermont's colleges are hosting students, as well, with the option to remain home and be online.
So if student are on campus and doing remote learning what is the point of being on campus?

They can’t have events, can’t legally socialize.
It’s not jail but remote learning and being on campus sounds like a waste of money on room and board.

The Big 10 was requiring once a week testing for all athletes and 2x per week for athletes in high contact sports and they specified using PCR testing. Pac 12 was requiring 2x per week testing once practices started. The SEC is requiring 2x per week testing during competition weeks for football and and some other sports like volleyball and soccer. I believe the ACC provided guidance for once per week testing for athletes in high risk sports like football. For low risk sports like golf and tennis, there is no mandated testing. All that said, the ACC did say schools could test more based on their discretion.

So, yes, the ACC testing standards are less stringent than what other conferences were requiring.

Thanks. I knew that there was a pod situation for the recitations that SU used an algorithm to put together. Needed additional confirmation just to make sure I was on the right path.

So if student are on campus and doing remote learning what is the point of being on campus?

It’s not jail but remote learning and being on campus sounds like a waste of money on room and board.

Especially as a freshman. The first year is the most important year from the social aspect. If you're cooped up in your room, it defeats the purpose of being on campus.

It is a waste of money on room and board, but colleges and universities are businesses and desperately need the revenue as they are going to take significant revenue hits this academic year. For many colleges (not Syracuse), the financial hits this academic year could force them to permanently close.

It is a waste of money on room and board, but colleges and universities are businesses and desperately need the revenue as they are going to take significant revenue hits this academic year. For many colleges (not Syracuse), the financial hits this academic year could force them to permanently close.

I have two kids in college right now and both have online only so they won't be on campus but rather at home. In both cases the room and board expenses are being rebated to us. Just pay the tuition, books, other fees etc.

All ACC teams should have weekly third party testing. Any player that is uncomfortable with that should sit out. If a school is unable to field a team they forfeit their share of the football money this year.
Do you know if they did the serology test on them? If not, I’d do that first. Why test people with antibodies?

Just because our national testing approach has been an abject failure, it doesn't mean these guys are wrong for demanding better. I wish more Americans demanded better, honestly.

I'm getting confused - watched a clip with Greenberg and Finebaum - are SU and FSU the only schools testing every two weeks or is that the standard timeline for ACC peers?

I read the article, it sounds like the players are fine with SU's protocols, its that they are worrying about what other schools are doing.

Whats interesting is I've heard Medical Officials say your not likely to spread while playing the game. which is when these guys will come into contact with those from the other schools.

I understand their point, but quiting practice will not help them prepare for the season. I'm sure Wildhack is willing to listen and lobby to the ACC offices to have all schools meet standards.

Just because our national testing approach has been an abject failure, it doesn't mean these guys are wrong for demanding better. I wish more Americans demanded better, honestly.
My point was just to determine what is “better.” The abject failure that is testing nationally stems mainly from lack of contact tracing and time it takes to get results. Both of these issues make “more testing” nearly Irrelevant.

This is a great post.

Good to see you back, btw.