Syracuse football players sit out first practice with coronavirus concerns | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football players sit out first practice with coronavirus concerns

Our players are comfortable with the University’s Covid policy they aren’t comfortable with Liberty’s and aren’t comfortable with their situation.

They're a private university. They don't owe us an explanation the same way SU is secretive about many things.

I’m still laughing that Liberty was placed on the schedule in the 1st place. That is turning out to be a lose lose lose situation.

Many of you can't separate politics from sports. Beyond your personal feelings, why should SU and other schools not play them? Should we treat BYU the same way? How about the service academies?

They're a private university. They don't owe us an explanation the same way SU is secretive about many things.
They do if they want to play the game.

They do if they want to play the game.

They don't owe you an explanation. I'm sure that Ian McCaw is in contact with the ADs office. Falwell is not McCaw. McCaw is not Falwell.

Many of you can't separate politics from sports. Beyond your personal feelings, why should SU and other schools not play them? Should we treat BYU the same way? How about the service academies?

I dunno, how about that it’s not an education based in science or knowledge, but religious rhetoric?
Or that they actively squash freedom of speech?
Or that they are against diversity, and VERY anti-LGBTQ?
Or that it’s headed up by an atrocious human being?

You can’t say any of that about BYU or the service academies.

(well, except for “headed up by an atrocious human being” part for the latter -
since I guess, technically Trump is in charge of those.

Last edited:
They've been doing walk throughs for weeks - they've already been learning the scheme. This is a chance to send a message, and they did.

Walk through. Well hell, I guess we’re ready to roll out a completely different system. Bring on the games.

They don't owe you an explanation. I'm sure that Ian McCaw is in contact with the ADs office. Falwell is not McCaw. McCaw is not Falwell.
No, not me, the players, they need to be comfortable. Covid. Nothing to do with Falwell.

If they're going to do this, just scrap the year.

Exactly. We aren’t the type of team that can miss a practice let alone multiple practices.

Because they have a conscious disregard for science - including a dismissive attitude towards Covid - which in turn will impact our program and community - bringing unwanted risk and likely a lot of illness our way. I'd happily exchange BYU or any of the other schools you mention in lieu of that madrassa.

They can adjust the practice schedule for one day. If it continues then it may be best to cancel the season. Sucks but it may be necessary.

Cancel the season while the rest of the league plays?

That will set the program back years, like Grob setback or St. Bonaventure bball in 03 when they forfeited their last games of the year.

Need to come to a resolution, not cancel.

I dunno, how about that it’s not an education based in science or knowledge, but religious rhetoric?
Or that they actively squash freedom of speech?
Or that they are against diversity, and VERY anti-LGBTQ?
Or that it’s headed up by an atrocious human being?

You can’t say any of that about BYU or the service academies.

(well, except for “headed up by an atrocious human being” part for the latter -
since I guess, technically Trump is in charge of those.
“Beyond your personal feelings, why should SU not play them?”

::: Proceeds to answer with all personal feelings :::

Last edited:
“Beyond your personal feelings, why should SU not play them?”

::: Proceeds to answer with all personal feelings :::

I'm not a pro liberty guy by any stretch but at some point people have to get over the fact that SU signed a fball contract with them. Its a football game not an endorsement of Falwell or anyone else over there. Get the W and move on.

1596833526432.png

Because they have a conscious disregard for science - including a dismissive attitude towards Covid - which in turn will impact our program and community - bringing unwanted risk and likely a lot of illness our way. I'd happily exchange BYU or any of the other schools you mention in lieu of that madrassa.
This is all hyperbole and assumptions. There was supposed to be a massive outbreak of Covid when Liberty reopened their campus in the spring - at least that’s what we were told. But there wasn’t.

The game is 2 months away. If Liberty has an outbreak or they’re shown to be unsafe after they open campus, then I’m sure the appropriate measures will be taken on our end. The constant bashing of Liberty on this board because of political differences is exhausting.

If you want politics to dictate your opponents in sports, no one would ever play games ever again. Literally someone could take offense to everyone.
It has nothing to do with politics. Most of the people running ACC programs and college football in general are very conservative and it’s my favorite sport. Liberty is an entirely different animal.

I’ve posted this before but there’s nothing good going on at that “university“.