Syracuse Football | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Football

This loss hurt me in a really weird way.

I avoided my phone all day after being at a tournament with my team. Got home, watched, and was just utterly disappointed. I’d hang my hat on the officials really shooting Syracuse in the foot with some questionable calls all day long, but in the grand scheme of things, I turned the game off now convinced that Dino isn’t the guy to get it done. Anyone who knows me knows I thought he was the dude. It hurts to admit it to myself.

Our front 7 was so good today. I’m not going to rag on the offense because I don’t think they’re being helped by the coaches and game script/plan. As a 34 year old man, I’ve spent the last 20 years watching Syracuse and now almost believe I’ll never see a competitive Syracuse football team on my life.

I don’t know how else to describe the feeling I feel. It’s a very weird feeling.
What are your thoughts on the punt in the 4th quarter? Is there any way to justify that? and as I said at the time, you have to use your time outs right away if you are going to punt. There is no way to just let them run the clock.

This loss hurt me in a really weird way.

I avoided my phone all day after being at a tournament with my team. Got home, watched, and was just utterly disappointed. I’d hang my hat on the officials really shooting Syracuse in the foot with some questionable calls all day long, but in the grand scheme of things, I turned the game off now convinced that Dino isn’t the guy to get it done. Anyone who knows me knows I thought he was the dude. It hurts to admit it to myself.

Our front 7 was so good today. I’m not going to rag on the offense because I don’t think they’re being helped by the coaches and game script/plan. As a 34 year old man, I’ve spent the last 20 years watching Syracuse and now almost believe I’ll never see a competitive Syracuse football team on my life.

I don’t know how else to describe the feeling I feel. It’s a very weird feeling.
Good, honest overview.

if we beat Liberty, all is forgiven. Amd that very thought is ridiculous for so many reasons.

We may or may not be better than last year, but it would be hard to be worse than last year.
Yes, 1-10 is about as bad as a team can be, of course 0-11 not withstanding.

But, after watching the first 2 games of this year, do you think SU is in a better spot then last year to win more games, or not?

Yes, 1-10 is about as bad as a team can be, of course 0-11 not withstanding.

But, after watching the first 2 games of this year, do you think SU is in a better spot then last year to win more games, or not?
I think we might be able to beat Albany, but after that I don’t think we will be favored in another game. I just don’t see anything that says we are better.Syracuse’s win over Ohio ain’t looking so good after the Bobcats lost Duquesne of all teams.

I think we might be able to beat Albany, but after that I don’t think we will be favored in another game. I just don’t see anything that says we are better.Syracuse’s win over Ohio ain’t looking so good after the Bobcats lost Duquesne of all teams.
And FSU's loss to Jacksonville St?

Each week is its own. There is a lot of football to be played and games that SU can win.

And FSU's loss to Jacksonville St?

Each week is its own. There is a lot of football to be played and games that SU can win.
I hope we win every game left, but I just don’t see where we got better. So we ran the ball against Ohio, big deal so would every team in the FBS.
Defense looked good today, but Rutgers ain’t looking like no powerhouse offense either.
Like I said, I hope you can tell me I told you so at the end of the season.
Go Orange!

I hope we win every game left, but I just don’t see where we got better. So we ran the ball against Ohio, big deal so would every team in the FBS.
Defense looked good today, but Rutgers ain’t looking like no powerhouse offense either.
Like I said, I hope you can tell me I told you so at the end of the season.
Go Orange!
100% agreed! We need to run the ball to win. Ball control and Defense.

Being realistic, 4 wins is a valid target.

I would love to look back and say I told you so after winning 4 or more... just like you can do the same if we fall flat and lose out.

Our defense is top 25 easily.

our O has a few players.

Our O staff and Head Coach are better suited for Cortaca
The HC at Cortland, was a college teammate and coaching colleague of mine. His coaching ability is much stronger than what we’ve witnessed of late. Just because you’re in D3, isn’t necessarily an indictment of your coaching ability.

The HC at Cortland, was a college teammate and coaching colleague of mine. His coaching ability is much stronger than what we’ve witnessed of late. Just because you’re in D3, isn’t necessarily an indictment of your coaching ability.
Wasn’t trying to take a shot at that, my fault.

Dino’s just not worthy of the gig

What are your thoughts on the punt in the 4th quarter? Is there any way to justify that? and as I said at the time, you have to use your time outs right away if you are going to punt. There is no way to just let them run the clock.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been at a tournament all weekend and took my off-day on Monday to disconnect and get some family time in.

Personally - No, there's no way to justify that. In that scenario, I feel like the bigger message being taken away is you have no faith in your offense to succeed in that pressure situation. Every coach has plays circled on their gameday card that have hit really well in practice the prior week, plays you think can gain an advantage on the opposing defense. You know what those plays are in a 3rd or 4th and long situation. To punt and then not do anything to get time back on your side really makes me question the feel for the game. I'm starting to feel a bit like I did at the end of the Shafer era.

The other thing that is really starting to bother me is how we are just washing and rinsing the same things repeatedly every week. The passing game has struggled for two years now. We need to start seeing some new blood at the receiving position. With how the OLine has improved and with a true running game, we should be able to take advantage of play action more to get open downfield. If the WRs can't do that and Dino doesn't trust the guys behind them; then we truly need someone new if our recruits aren't panning out on the offensive side of the ball

Regarding the QB play - I actually respect Dino's answer in the presser but doesn't mean I necessarily agree with it. He made some commitments to Shrader to get him here. Those snaps were pre-meditated. The first play of Shraders, he actually got a bunch of turf residue in his eye and was having a hard time seeing. Once he came back out on the next drive, he was moving the chains a bit better. Won't happen, but I'd love to see both get a half against Albany and then stick with one QB going into Liberty.

I just hope we get some of this figured out before ACC play. I just don't want to spend two months of spending four hours each Saturday expecting a loss.

Wasn’t trying to take a shot at that, my fault.

Dino’s just not worthy of the gig
I wasn’t trying to come across as combatative, just kind of making a statement that coaching is a lot more about relationships and connections. There are quality football coaches in a lot of places.

This is so insane. We've never even been able to pretend to have a chance at a championship 4 games into a season for my entire life.
It actually brings a very sobering perspective for me to what we see each week. We act like we have never lost a game before that we shouldn't have, and the truth is we have. Even during coach P tenure there was a lot of frustration over play clock management, ridiculous penalties and w*t*f loses. I am ready to move on from last weeks. LGO!