Syracuse Goes Mobile Ticketing (Luddites Take Note) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Goes Mobile Ticketing (Luddites Take Note)

I wish I had any kind of business sense. I see an opportunity here, SU could make game fobs for those who don't want to do the phone thing. It would only be available for season ticket holders maybe, but you could pay an additional fee to have them send you a scannable fob that could hold your tickets and have a preset/reloadable amount of cash loaded on it. A truly savvy person would then expand this to multiple sporting events(NBA, NHL, ETC).
Heck you could even setup an ATM type of machine that takes your money and puts it on a disposable fob/scannable card for use in the dome that day(think large metro cards). The problem is the only people in the market for it are the boomers, I don't think anyone under the age of 50 is resistant to smart phones at this point.

I know a lot of pretty young Profs at college that are pretty hesitant about using phones for this type of stuff.. but many of them are CS types and they know the security holes being created.

I don't think you understood my post. I don't care if a Cherry 2000 robot is scanning the tickets, whatever automated device you use to scan, it will read a paper barcode just the same as it would a digital one. You gain nothing from a health/social distancing perspective.
I understood your post and I don't think you totally understand why this is happening and the social distance aspect of this. But I can tell no matter what I say or any example I give won't change your mind so I will bow out and just wish you a nice day.

I understood your post and I don't think you totally understand why this is happening and the social distance aspect of this. But I can tell no matter what I say or any example I give won't change your mind so I will bow out and just wish you a nice day.
What? I'm trying to have a logical, normal, back and forth conversation lol. What social distance aspect of this am I missing if there is no real person scanning a paper ticket?

Our golf league is mobil and allows phone or printed.. you put everything on a table you step back,, they step in and scan then step back and you get your stuff..

not very timely but very socially distant

We have people on here that have flips, or perhaps don’t even want to bring a phone. I don’t think it’s fair to say Syracuse is shutting out fans. I think technology in general is the one doing that.

Why should anything other than the ticket price be necessary for someone who's owned season tickets to continue to attend games?

Technology isn't the barrier. Syracuse University's new admission requirement decision is the barrier.

One thing I will add, and I know this may rub some people the wrong way here on this board and I hope they don't take it personally. If you own a flip phone or don't want to carry a cell phone on you, like society shouldn't have to adjust and accommodate for you. You are a small minority in 2020 in regards to this stuff and having a smart phone and having it on you throughout the day is a social norm these days.

What SU is doing isn't unique, it's what most schools are doing and if they aren't they will be in the next 12-24 months.

One thing I will add, and I know this may rub some people the wrong way here on this board and I hope they don't take it personally. If you own a flip phone or don't want to carry a cell phone on you, like society shouldn't have to adjust and accommodate for you. You are a small minority in 2020 in regards to this stuff and having a smart phone and having it on you throughout the day is a social norm these days.

What SU is doing isn't unique, it's what most schools are doing and if they aren't they will be in the next 12-24 months.
While I do agree with you I feel a strong need to maintain my status as a curmudgeon.

how exactly does your phone have cash loaded?

I use Apple Pay from time to time and it's essentially linking your debit card to your phone. It wouldn't be like a prepaid card system. Many places use this or Samsung's touchless payment as well

I use Apple Pay from time to time and it's essentially linking your debit card to your phone. It wouldn't be like a prepaid card system. Many places use this or Samsung's touchless payment as well
I think you have the option to link prepaid visa cards as well so if you are not a fan of using your credit card I believe that is an option. Though I know people (including myself) that use a 2nd lower limit cc for those types of apps and transactions.

I load up cash on the crm and the app has a tab with a QR code that you just hold over a scanner when you buy your stuff. Since I haven’t done it since October I’m a little rusty on the details.
LOL, I'm in deep doodoo. I'm still trying to figure out the phone tickets. :cool:

One thing I will add, and I know this may rub some people the wrong way here on this board and I hope they don't take it personally. If you own a flip phone or don't want to carry a cell phone on you, like society shouldn't have to adjust and accommodate for you. ...

Ok...but why?

Please, take this further: since when did owning a tech toy become a prerequisite for participating in society and enjoying the rights and privileges conferred to toy-owners? And for what reason?

Maybe you're right and this is the direction society is headed, but that turns our world on its head. Participation in society hasn't previously hinged on willingness to own material things. It's highly, highly unusual that that might change. And it's equally strange that people not only are OK with that but don't recognize it as odd.

Odd thing about West Virginia ... the phones are smarter than the people.
Quote from the WVU article:

And, if you are a collector of the hard ticket and want to keep your collection up to date, the department intends to provide information in the future to fans who want to buy a commemorative ticket of the 2020 football season.

Hey SU, you better do this too.

Ok...but why?

Please, take this further: since when did owning a tech toy become a prerequisite for participating in society and enjoying the rights and privileges conferred to toy-owners? And for what reason?

Maybe you're right and this is the direction society is headed, but that turns our world on its head. Participation in society hasn't previously hinged on willingness to own material things. It's highly, highly unusual that that might change. And it's equally strange that people not only are OK with that but don't recognize it as odd.
I'm going to make you an honorary Boomer.

At the next tailgate when you hear, "OK Boomer" you better turn to look...it might be you.

since when did owning a tech toy become a prerequisite for participating in society and enjoying the rights and privileges conferred to toy-owners? And for what reason?

-Make cellular phone calls
-Surf the internet
-Cable TV
-Streaming television
-Sony walkmans
Etc etc

Hell, at one point, even a black and white TV wouldve been on this list.

I wish I had any kind of business sense. I see an opportunity here, SU could make game fobs for those who don't want to do the phone thing. It would only be available for season ticket holders maybe, but you could pay an additional fee to have them send you a scannable fob that could hold your tickets and have a preset/reloadable amount of cash loaded on it. A truly savvy person would then expand this to multiple sporting events(NBA, NHL, ETC).
Heck you could even setup an ATM type of machine that takes your money and puts it on a disposable fob/scannable card for use in the dome that day(think large metro cards). The problem is the only people in the market for it are the boomers, I don't think anyone under the age of 50 is resistant to smart phones at this point.

This was done and discarded by the Nats, who went straight app.

-Make cellular phone calls
-Surf the internet
-Cable TV
-Streaming television
-Sony walkmans
Etc etc

Hell, at one point, even a black and white TV wouldve been on this list.
I spent $160 around 2003 to buy one of those handheld analog 3" LCD color TVs...to watch games etc...great investment for about 5 years. Sigh

LOL, I'm in deep doodoo. I'm still trying to figure out the phone tickets. :cool:

Well - you’ve now got an extra year to work on figuring that out.

No fans for NY college sports this fall. :(

Sure if you'd rather text or FB live than watch the game :cool: (sorry, poking fun). But seriously, you're bringing coals to newcastle. We all know communication technology's changing ... that doesn't mean it has to be shoved down our throats. Some younger people tethered to a phone at work, or (gasp) middle-aged adults, have zero interest in carrying a cell phone to a FB game. Phone's are handy, but it's also nice to be unplugged (you should try it). And the smart ones don't want their locations tracked and every detail of their personal lives harvested and sold on a sleazy market like PPE.

Last edited:
Ok...but why?

Because that is what the market dictates. The market (ie all sports teams college and pro) are shifting towards mobile tickets. Hence, if you want to continue to go to games you adjust and have a smartphone on you. It's a prerequisite.

The vast majority of fans (like 99%) have smartphones and the ones who use mobile ticket enjoy mobile ticket vs paper tickets. You draw that out and most fans who haven't used mobile tickets will enjoy it once they use it and get the hang of it. So the businesses are catering to the consumers off of the testing it has done (and saving money in this case as well and making it safer in this post-covid world). So it's a WIN-WIN

By the logic, some of you use the ACC Network wouldn't even exist or cable TV for that matter. You would want ALL your SU games on free over the air stations (not even cable.) But the market dictates that the majority of sports games are on cable, and some are on a sports tier of cable you have to pay extra for. It is a prerequisite that to watch said games you own a cable box or subscribe to a streaming service of some sort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom