Syracuse Goes Mobile Ticketing (Luddites Take Note) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Goes Mobile Ticketing (Luddites Take Note)

2 things...

1) The removal of paper tickets was going to happen eventually. The world is/was headed this way, COVID just moved the process along quicker but we were gonna be at this point within the next 5 years for sure. Hard Rock Stadium just announced wireless entry to all games last week. This isn't "just a Syracuse thing"...all stadiums in a Post-COVID world are moving to this.

2) I know this is an "age" thing and a "generaltional" thing, but most people between 18-45 don't pay for much with cash. (Yes I know there are exceptions to this) but overall in general most people use debit cards, a credit card where they can rack up points to use elsewhere, or Apple Pay/Samsung Pay or something along those lines to make all of their purchases. Heck for Starbucks I haven't handed them a card or cash in about 4 years. I just load money onto my Starbucks App, when it's time to pay I hold up my phone they scan it and that's it.

See in your opinion you think the business (SU) is making things more difficult. For many folks, for the majority of folks, they really are making it easier. Cause they are carrying a phone anyway and now they can load their season tickets (and their money in some cases) on the phone and just use that phone for everything. No need to carry paper tickets and no need to carry anything more than a driver's license or debit card with your phone to an SU game.
1) Nothing personal, but the fact that millennials live through their phones, and prefer texting to talking, doesn't mean it should be the rule for everyone. Lots of STH's, like me, are >45 ... the last thing we want to do at a CFB game is fiddle with a cell phone.

2) I also question whether phones are more "efficient". Bar code scanners, at the grocery store or the Dome, don't care whether a code is displayed on a piece of paper, plastic or a digital screen. The scan time is the same (maybe less for a paper ticket). Paper is a lot lighter to carry, it will never interrupt you with a silly ring or an annoying conversation, and it's a tradition that's lasted 100+ years;

3) If the previous poster (#64) is correct, it appears that SU has not only decided to stop printing paper tickets, but to stop accepting all types of paper, i.e., printed digital tickets. If that's true, it will force a significant portion of the STH base to carry in cell phones. Why do that in a year when they're trying to hold onto their STH's and are looking at significantly reduced attendance (if any)?

Last edited:
With the board contacts on this site, I would think we could probably get someone from Syracuse that could speak on the subject. I kinda liken this paper to digital to when you maybe worked at one company and they were a Microsoft shop and for years all your email and calendars were done with MS. Then you move on because of a promotion and the new company uses Google for email. At first its a bit awkward but after a month you don’t even notice it or think about it anymore. It becomes business as usual. While it may seem like a brief annoyance, you likely won’t even give it a second thought after you do it a few times.

I think the amphitheater is a better summer location for concerts. Weather is the only concern if you don’t get under the roof, but AC in the “Stadium” presents another viable option.
Yes you are right but in the future the Stadium is the only place between Buffalo and Boston that can host the biggest events.

I have some love for the old ways and as already mentioned, have some pangs of regret as this paper we used to use in some many ways goes away. I am comforted knowing getting rid of paper makes things more efficient, wastes less resources and saves money.

Thanks, Tom - that's interesting that they might maintain a way for the rest of us to buy tickets and get it. It makes sense, since it's rare for a business (especially one that's losing customers like college athletics) to throw up barriers.

I'm skeptical -- very -- about the rationale that moving away from paper is a plus, though. (Kind of ties in to my strong anti-phone bias.) No doubt ditching paper is a positive for the business: it makes things simpler and saves some money. It's a positive for other businesses, too: they can sell more disposable electronic toys. And though that's a clear net negative from an environmental perspective, they still manage to sell it as more "green" because people see the near-term disposable tickets as trash but not the glass and plastic phone that they replace and send to the landfill every second or third year.

Anyway, don't mean to hijack. If SU's going to not tie ticket holding to the requirement of making an extraneous purchase, that's good.

The WiFi is sorely lacking around the Dome. I was last there for the Clemson game and had to burn through mobile data to get a worthwhile connection. If SU is going full mobile, they have to expedite their investment in WiFi to support this task.
I have Verizon and my mobile data is basically worthless inside. It kinda works early in the first Q but gets progressively worse as the stadium fills.

Is scalping really an issue? Seems like plenty of seats and good prices.

MLB has it where every season ticket holder has to download their app (and frankly people that the ticket holder electronically shares tickets with) so they've created this whole universe of direct contact relationships.

This is it, all of it.

I don't want to hijack, but it is relevant to the topic. And I don't want to insult any of you with opinions that sound fringey, but it's a little surprising that people are so sanguine about rationalizing a change that's not designed to help any of us.
SU wants to reduce space and friction between it and the people who might give it money. It also wants to monetize quantitative data and wants to better extract that from us. But it doesn't want to help us in any way.

We're all in the same position we were before: paying money to watch a team we like (some of us could be in a worse position: a) not attending games for want of a smartphone, or b) breaking down and getting a smartphone, throwing away the one area in my life where I can shut off my tethered work/obligations brain and go off the grid to enjoy life) . SU's asking more of us for nothing in return.

im guessing as work around people without phones can have there tickets printed at box office and picked up there or will call on day of game?
I hope so...things happen and SU needs to help a few get through whatever issue they have on game day.

2 things...

1) The removal of paper tickets was going to happen eventually. The world is/was headed this way, COVID just moved the process along quicker but we were gonna be at this point within the next 5 years for sure. Hard Rock Stadium just announced wireless entry to all games last week. This isn't "just a Syracuse thing"...all stadiums in a Post-COVID world are moving to this.

2) I know this is an "age" thing and a "generaltional" thing, but most people between 18-45 don't pay for much with cash. (Yes I know there are exceptions to this) but overall in general most people use debit cards, a credit card where they can rack up points to use elsewhere, or Apple Pay/Samsung Pay or something along those lines to make all of their purchases. Heck for Starbucks I haven't handed them a card or cash in about 4 years. I just load money onto my Starbucks App, when it's time to pay I hold up my phone they scan it and that's it.

See in your opinion you think the business (SU) is making things more difficult. For many folks, for the majority of folks, they really are making it easier. Cause they are carrying a phone anyway and now they can load their season tickets (and their money in some cases) on the phone and just use that phone for everything. No need to carry paper tickets and no need to carry anything more than a driver's license or debit card with your phone to an SU game.

Understand that it's not SU leading on this issue; this will likely become industry standard.

I'm kind of an anomaly: in the 18-45 demo, virtually never carry cash (in favor of points on a credit card), but also virtually never carry my (ancient) personal mobile phone. I just really like being away from tech because I'm tethered to it for work all week long; if I can break away for a bit of time at a game, or for a long stretch of a weekend day, it's great for my mind. (I also see all the people who are totally hostage to their phone -- which is kind of an underrated antisocial behavior that's become accepted -- and think that it doesn't look enjoyable at all.)

But anyhow, I disagree on the last contention. SU's not making things easier for any fan. For customers who are tech aficionados (that is, most normal people in 2020), they're maintaining the status quo; those people can already enter with mobile tickets and they're neither gaining nor losing with this change. For the rest, though, they're changing the dynamic: what was once available for a set price now comes with other restrictions attached. If that means we could go to games before (with only a credit card, ticket, and house key in my pocket) and we can't now (I can't get a straight answer on this), then it's most definitely not making things easier.

Will they have digital parking too? I know they haven’t determined any parking yet.
Not yet but I bet we will see it within 1-2 years. If they do they better allow someone to transfer the pass.

1) Nothing personal, but the fact that millennials live through their phones, and prefer texting to talking, doesn't mean it should be the rule for everyone.

See it's NOT just millennials (and I am far from being a millennial as I can't see that age group in my rear view mirror). As I said most people in their 30's and 40's (non-millennials) use their phones to pay for things and don't necessarily "live through them."At a certain point its just being even the slightest bit of tech-savvy and having your phone work for you as a convenience. Nothing more.

There are no health benefits.
Oh, there is a total health benefit and that's why this is being done!!! If you think in the coming years there will be a man or woman scanning your ticket you are kidding yourself. They will have a scanner at the gate and you scan yourself in and if there is an issue someone will come to the turnstile to help you. Instead of having 4 turnstiles with 4 people scanning at each turnstile, they will have 4 turnstiles with 1 person watching them all (to make sure nobody jumps the turnstile or slides in with someone else). And if 9 out of 10 people scan in with no issue, great, when the 1 person has an issue then they go help them. Hence......more social distancing.

Last edited:
I have no argument with most of that. Phones are convenient for many things, and they're popular - some would say "addicting". But not all of us want to carry one to a FB game. Why force everyone to do so, in a year like this? So you can harvest their data? If that's what this is about ... Pfffffft.
But if this didn't happen this year it was easily going to happen in 2021 or 2022 most likely. Every stadium and sports team is going this route, COVID just moved the process along faster. So, I can't get that worked up over it. Second, it has nothing to do with harvesting data. Third, the world is changing in many ways all the time even before COVID came into our lives. This is just another example and we all must adapt when things change.

I get it change is tough for people, but at times we have no choice but to adapt. And owning a smartphone which 99.9% of society already does and having to carry it to a football game isn't the worst kind of change in the world. Heck once your inside just turn it off and forget about it. They are so small and light these days you won't even know its in your pocket.

Having done this with MLB going in kicking and screaming - it works out to be easier. Transfer tickets on a dime, not hassling with paper, and really cashless at concessions flies. Really the concession thing is a big deal

There's a whole other level of stuff I really don't deal with (can change, update seats on gameday, specials, etc etc).

I would argue small is the opposite of most cell phones.. you cant just jam them in a pocket and you really shouldnt since they get hot.

we got rid of printed tickets down here.. they sent us all credit card type tickets and then you could send them to people who could them print them or download them as needed for the scan. SU could do the same, the stock that way is cheap as is the printing and it can all be done on printers at the school. that gives you all the same options but no paper.

as we said before if scamming by scalpers is the issue just dont except tickets on printed paper and people either bring their card ticket, download to a phone, or forward the ticket to will call for someone.

people dont think people can scam the cell phone too? I mean you creat an app you stand outside with tickets on a disposable phone using wifi, you dump fake tickets to some one who walks up looking for a ticket when they give you an email/phone number. its a QR code its not like you can tell if its a bad one, you can use the same one and just change the info around it over and over. someone wants a better ticket have the app build a better ticket.

now if the 20 ticket scanners can get moved to other jobs thats a ok too. its takes a long time to re-coop the money to buy this tech and by then there is new tech..

why not fingerpriint/eye scanners next

do we really need another middle man to sell our tickets? SU has the re-sell option in the app already. but for last minute sells this makes everything hard.. We are really stopping something that happens when Clemson or duke comes and very little any other time since there is no demand.

See it's NOT just millennials (and I am far from being a millennial as I can't see that age group in my rear view mirror). As I said most people in their 30's and 40's (non-millennials) use their phones to pay for things and don't necessarily "live through them."At a certain point its just being even the slightest bit of tech-savvy and having your phone work for you as a convenience. Nothing more.

Oh, there is a total health benefit and that's why this is being done!!! If you think in the coming years there will be a man or woman scanning your ticket you are kidding yourself. They will have a scanner at the gate and you scan yourself in and if there is an issue someone will come to the turnstile to help you. Instead of having 4 turnstiles with 4 people scanning at each turnstile, they will have 4 turnstiles with 1 person watching them all (to make sure nobody jumps the turnstile or slides in with someone else). And if 9 out of 10 people scan in with no issue, great, when the 1 person has an issue then they go help them. Hence...more social distancing.
Good point about the efficiencies (and greater level of social distancing) achieved with scanning. But that doesn't explain why SU would ban (if they are) printed digital tickets. If I can self-scan my own printed digital ticket, then I don't need a phone. :)

Last edited:
Print at home was retired last year. Mostly driven by Ticketmaster and issues with counterfeit tickets. As I understand it, fans will be encouraged to download their tickets at home, reducing the dependence on WiFi on site. Mobile ticketing has been an option for a few years with virtually no issues for those who shoose to use it. I would think walk up and will call will still use hard copy tickets. I know I transfered tickets electronically last year and the recipients were able to go to the box office and get hard copy tickets. Of course I had also given them the originals which became invalid as soon as I completed the electronic transfer!

All that being said, I will still miss going to the mailbox and getting my ticket booklets. Like Christmas morning!

Curious to know how automated turnstiles would work for someone with multiple tickets on one phone (e.g. for spouse and kids).

Anybody have any recent experience with this?

Does the QR code include all seats and allow for multiple people through after one scan or would it require each individual scanned to unlock the turnstile (like passing a Metrocard to a friend getting on the subway)?

Curious to know how automated turnstiles would work for someone with multiple tickets on one phone (e.g. for spouse and kids).

Anybody have any recent experience with this?

Does the QR code include all seats and allow for multiple people through after one scan or would it require each individual scanned to unlock the turnstile (like passing a Metrocard to a friend getting on the subway)?
For airplane tickets, if you have 4 people, you get 4 different bar codes. They are shown one at a time and you swipe to get the next one to come up. Each needs to be scanned separately.

It is actually quite easy and works well.

For airplane tickets, if you have 4 people, you get 4 different bar codes. They are shown one at a time and you swipe to get the next one to come up. Each needs to be scanned separately.

It is actually quite easy and works well.

Yep, I’ve done that for my family.

Was curious anyone if has been through something fully automated (like a subway turnstile) gate.

I couldn’t think of a time I’ve used digital tickets that didn’t have a human involved (actively scanning or monitoring) or with a physical barrier (like a turnstile).

Yes it is easy..however, you need everyone there at the same time. My first experience was at Clemson for a basketball game. I had 8 folks under my mobile ticketing. The worker scanned all 8 and let us through.

Yes it is easy..however, you need everyone there at the same time. My first experience was at Clemson for a basketball game. I had 8 folks under my mobile ticketing. The worker scanned all 8 and let us through.

yes that’s how it worked when I went to a Royals game with my parents and had all the tickets in my phone. Went very smoothly

yes that’s how it worked when I went to a Royals game with my parents and had all the tickets in my phone. Went very smoothly
And if everyone doesn't enter together you would have to transfer the individual tickets to those coming at a different time.

Are the ushers going to have code readers to help people find their seats? I'm fantasizing here -- usher doing something beside standing at the top of the aisles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom