Syracuse in late February | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse in late February

cuseinseattle

All American
It's been a while since I've made the trip and never done it with my wife and kids. We are coming for the Duke game but I would like to go to the Ville game on Wednesday night. My wife is scared that the weather will be really bad and that there won't be enough to do all day Thursday, Friday and Saturday. My kids will be 1 and 5 when we make the trip. Does anyone have thoughts on how cold it will likely be and things that you can do with kids during the winter.

Winterfest is the 14-24th in Syracuse this year.

Restaurants usually have specials and there's a few different things to do listed here based on last years calendar:

Syracuse Winterfest

The average temperatures that time of year are in the 20"s to low 30's.

It's been a while since I've made the trip and never done it with my wife and kids. We are coming for the Duke game but I would like to go to the Ville game on Wednesday night. My wife is scared that the weather will be really bad and that there won't be enough to do all day Thursday, Friday and Saturday. My kids will be 1 and 5 when we make the trip. Does anyone have thoughts on how cold it will likely be and things that you can do with kids during the winter.
Check out the MOST.
DestinyUSA has some nice attractions for kids.
Syracuse Crunch hockey game.
Green Beer Sunday at Coleman's.
Downtown Dining Weeks.
Horse drawn sleighs at Highland Forest.

February 2016 events in Central New York: 29 things to do in 29 days

We’ve gotten a couple fluky warm weeks in February in recent years. It was like 60-70 degrees last year for a week or so in late Feb.

There’s also full potential for completely freezing, sub zero temperatures. So...who knows? I’d play the averages and expect normal winter cold(20’s-30s), but be on the lookout for extremes.

You can easily kill a day at DestinyUSA if the weather is bad. There’s BillyBeez, a go kart track, Wonder Works, Dave and Busters, etc. in there now in addition to all the usual mall stuff.

Grab some sleds and head to a hill. The 5 year old will love it

Just don't do it in the city where sledding is illegal!
Its been many years but I don't think that ever stopped us. We use to ride from the Blarney Stone down Hamilton Street. You could easily make it to Willis Ave on fresh snow days.

Just don't do it in the city where sledding is illegal!

Sledding is legal now!

Green Beer Sunday is awesome, but I personally would not bring two young kids.

Winter Fest is perfect. And hope for snow! Both Your kids will love snow and sledding

Check the MOST and the Everson for special events for kids, they both do a lot.

And go to the zoo! The zoo is always empty in winter, but its the best time to go! The animals are way more active plus you'll practically have thebplace to yourself.

One of the local hills has snow tubing. (And skiing)

Is it song or Greek Peak? Only a 30 min drive from campus.

Interesting. I did not know sledding was legal again. When did that change?

Sledding is legal now!

Green Beer Sunday is awesome, but I personally would not bring two young kids.

Winter Fest is perfect. And hope for snow! Both Your kids will love snow and sledding

Check the MOST and the Everson for special events for kids, they both do a lot.

And go to the zoo! The zoo is always empty in winter, but its the best time to go! The animals are way more active plus you'll practically have thebplace to yourself.

Your spot on about the zoo, some animals wont be out obviously if the weather is in the teens or below but your right the attendance is way way down versus the summer when it gets crazy. Another zoo-tip, the Zoo closes at 4:30, go later in the afternoon as they start feeding some of the animals around 4ish and you can watch them do it while pretty much having the place to yourself.

There is a planetarium in Rochester. The MOST is good for littles (maybe not that little) Destiny USA has fun kid stuff to do
Could try ice sakti g for the bigger one.

If you are staying at a hotel just make sure it has an indoor pool. Unless it is spring break (which it might be), I would guess on Thursday and Friday during the day you would have the pool to yourselves.

Much thanks. Hotel recommendations?
Not sure what you are looking for but here is a place I would recommend if I was travelling with kids. Staybridge Suites in Liverpool. 15 minutes to the Carrier Dome. 5 minutes to Destiny. 5 minutes to the Airport. Kitchen in the room. Free Breakfast. Indoor Pool. Workout room. Decent price.

Not sure what you are looking for but here is a place I would recommend if I was travelling with kids. Staybridge Suites in Liverpool. 15 minutes to the Carrier Dome. 5 minutes to Destiny. 5 minutes to the Airport. Kitchen in the room. Free Breakfast. Indoor Pool. Workout room. Decent price.
Thanks. I was thinking Genesee Grande. I like this idea though.

Thanks. I was thinking Genesee Grande. I like this idea though.

You may want to try the new Embassy Suites at Destiny USA. They reached a deal just before football season to be the “official hotel of SU athletics”. The reason I bring it up is they apparently have/will be having ticket and transportation deals with SU. Obviously, it is right next the mall and centrally located. Might give you some easier overall options with young kids.

SUOrange44

Syracuse University Announces Major Tourism Partnership with Destiny USA and Onsite Embassy Suites Hotel - Destiny USA

Last edited:
It's always been the coldest from what I remember as a student. Definitely check out the weather report as the day approaches.

You may want to try the new Embassy Suites at Destiny USA. They reached a deal just before football season to be the “official hotel of SU athletics”. The reason I bring it up is they apparently have/will be having ticket and transportation deals with SU. Obviously, it is right next the mall and centrally located. Might give you some easier overall options with young kids.

SUOrange44

Syracuse University Announces Major Tourism Partnership with Destiny USA and Onsite Embassy Suites Hotel - Destiny USA
I had recommended the Staybridge because it was about $100 less per night for basically the same amenities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom