Syracuse is a football school. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse is a football school.

This should not even be a debate.

One of SU's programs has a Hall-of-Fame Coach, elite practice facilities, an elite game facility, leads the nation in attendance, has the record for on-campus attendance many times over, is a selector school for recruits, is a major disappointment when it falls outside of the top 10-16 teams in the nation.

The other program has a first year head coach, is trying to raise $ for a practice facility, has an antiquated stadium, fights with Temple and directional Michigans and Illinois for recruits, and hasnt sniffed the Top 25 in over a decade.

Hell, we even have football recruits that label Syracuse their dream school because they grew up SU hoops fans.

Simply put, one program is elite and is perceived that way; the other is striving to just consistently compete again.

One of SU's programs has a Hall-of-Fame Coach, elite practice facilities, an elite game facility, leads the nation in attendance, has the record for on-campus attendance many times over, is a selector school for recruits, is a major disappointment when it falls outside of the top 10-16 teams in the nation.

The other program has a first year head coach, is trying to raise $ for a practice facility, has an antiquated stadium, fights with Temple and directional Michigans and Illinois for recruits, and hasnt sniffed the Top 25 in over a decade.

Hell, we even have football recruits that label Syracuse their dream school because they grew up SU hoops fans.

Simply put, one program is elite and is perceived that way; the other is striving to just consistently compete again.

i could be wrong, but isn't the elite game facility and the antiquated stadium the same venue??

The Dome is 'elite' for the basketball team, but it's 'outdated' for the football team? It's the same facility. If anything the basketball team should be docked points for being regulated to a football facility for decades.

October 23, 2011 (#32 in AP)
http://www.collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/seasons.cfm?appollid=1030#.Ubz2opyKIo4

October 24, 2010 (#29 in AP)
http://www.collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/seasons.cfm?appollid=1014#.Ubz21JyKIo4

October 31, 2010 (#27 in AP)
http://www.collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/seasons.cfm?appollid=1015#.Ubz2-pyKIo4

The Dome is 'elite' for the basketball team, but it's 'outdated' for the football team? It's the same facility. If anything the basketball team should be docked points for being regulated to a football facility for decades.

October 23, 2011 (#32 in AP)
http://www.collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/seasons.cfm?appollid=1030#.Ubz2opyKIo4

October 24, 2010 (#29 in AP)
http://www.collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/seasons.cfm?appollid=1014#.Ubz21JyKIo4

October 31, 2010 (#27 in AP)
http://www.collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/seasons.cfm?appollid=1015#.Ubz2-pyKIo4

sniff sniff

if you would have asked this question in the mid/early 90's many would have said this was clearly a football school. now here we are about 20 years later and all a sudden it's a basketball school. stuff like this is cyclical. unless you are Kentucky, Indiana, or Duke in basketball, or Alabama, Penn St, USC, Notre Dame in football where those brands are ingrained in their culture it shouldn't even matter. who knows what will happen in another 20 years after Boeheim retires and Shafer is entering his 20th season. Will we all a sudden be saying this is a football school again? Were just an all around great athletic program. I know there are many like me that will support both programs above all else, and don't care for the labels.

i could be wrong, but isn't the elite game facility and the antiquated stadium the same venue??

Geez, you got me there.

Unless of course you consider that the football team is playing a sport that is meant to be played in the elements in a bubble in front of 35,000, while football's elite play in stadiums that regularly pack in 80k. The basketball team can fit as many people in the Dome as it chooses, while blue-blooded brethren like Duke play in a 8,000 capacity gymnasium. The basketball team plays in a facility that rivals or dwarfs all of its contemporaries.

We're like a person with a gender identity issue. Are we a football school trapped in a basketball school's body, or is it the other way around? ;)

i could also point out that the fan support is greater for the hoops team, the student support is much greater for basketball then football, Jim Boeheim is pretty much the national spokesman for SU, and the media cares much more about our basketball team.

This is silly, the whole city roots for syracuse basketball and there is su basketball shirts and hats everywhere.
SU basketball gets 5 and 4 star recruits mainly with a few threes, SU football gets threes with maybe one four star every five years with 4 times the players. Thats how it has been the last 7 years. Are we really having this conversation?

Syracuse basketball has finished ahead of the football in rankings every year for the last 8-10 years
As a basketball only we are both and I still have a big heart for su football on saturdays, hope they can get the ship headed in the right direction.

Florida won the NC in both sports in the same season a few years back so this really is a pointless argument. Saying Syracuse is a football only isn't even a opinion its a bold faced lie. Really we are both with both programs having long down stretches.

The reality is that we were a football school that evolved into an elite basketball school. As time goes on the chances that football moves even or ahead of what the basketball program has built in the community or across the nation diminish.

The reality is that we were a football school that evolved into an elite basketball school. As time goes on the chances that football moves even or ahead of what the basketball program has built in the community or across the nation diminish.

The basketball team had two titles 40 years before the football team had their first . :crazy:
Its not about when you start anyway. Syracuse basketball has been top 25 for the entire season the last 5 years.

I can't believe we're arguing about this when we could be talking about our new LB commit. Fire it up!

Football school.

We have had much more successful alumni in professional sports out of our football program...

Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Larry Czonka, Floyd Little, Art Monk, Olindo Mare, Marvin Harrison, Donovan Mcnabb, Dwight Freeney...

Just to name a few.

Our basketball program has produced professional talent, but the only ones really of note within the last 20 years are Melo and Coleman.

Which sport are we nationally relevant in every season, and which sport do we pray to break .500 every season?

I know when I'm out of town and I'm wearing an SU hat or shirt, I get questions and comments about Boeheim all the time. Nobody ever asks me about the football team.

In modern history 1950 on we are a Football school with a Great Basketball program, Ben, Mac in football HOF, JB in basketball HOF. Jake screwed us in football by not letting P go earlier, and not upgrading facilities, actually he should have retired after letting BC lie to him, and then go behind his back to get our spot in 2003. Jake was over his head in the late 90's when the Big East football was really good, a good AD would have forced a split of the football, and basketball schools. Our downfall was much more Jake and Buzz's fault then Coach P, he was reaching the end , but they were responsible for not putting proper funds back into the program, Mr " Get a Life ".

Football school.

We have had much more successful alumni in professional sports out of our football program...

Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Larry Czonka, Floyd Little, Art Monk, Olindo Mare, Marvin Harrison, Donovan Mcnabb, Dwight Freeney...

Just to name a few.

Our basketball program has produced professional talent, but the only ones really of note within the last 20 years are Melo and Coleman.

Funny--you give hoops only the past 20 years, yet the first 5 guys on your football list all played here more than 30 years ago.

Funny--you give hoops only the past 20 years, yet the first 5 guys on your football list all played here more than 30 years ago.

Okay.

Add Dave Bing.

Frankly only Bing and Melo had arguably great pro careers - Coleman was celebrated for his failure to achieve and his pro athlete attitude - I think he made the infamous cover of SI addressing that attitude issue.

In football many more can be added.

Gary Anderson, Jim Ringo, Jim Nance, Daryl Johnston, Al Bemiller, Walt Sweeney, John Mackey just to name a few.

Heck, Anderson, Ringo, Sweeney and Mackey might be the best to ever player their positions.

When the entire spectrum is viewed, Syracuse University is a football school - in my opinion.

If I gave both schools 75 years.. football still demolishes basketball.

Syracuse football has 7 players, likely to be 8 with Mcnabb, in the NFL hall of fame. Harrison and Mare could make cases as well.

Syracuse basketball has 2 hall of fame basketball players, Hanson and Bing. Three if Carmelo ever wins his championship.

Syracuse produces football stars and legends.

Football school that is really good at basketball.

Michigan
Texas
Nebraska
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Alabama
Tennessee
USC
Georgia
LSU
PSU
Auburn
WVU
SYRACUSE

All are football schools...that's the company we keep for all-time wins in d1 football. It's who we are.

You are correct

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom