Syracuse is a football school. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse is a football school.

If I gave both schools 75 years.. football still demolishes basketball.

Syracuse football has 7 players, likely to be 8 with Mcnabb, in the NFL hall of fame. Harrison and Mare could make cases as well.

Syracuse basketball has 2 hall of fame basketball players, Hanson and Bing. Three if Carmelo ever wins his championship.

Syracuse produces football stars and legends.

So you've got McNabb as a hall of famer, but Melo only is "if he wins a championship?" How does that work?

I'd say Melo is on the path to the hall of fame, regardless of whether he wins a championship.

Okay.

Add Dave Bing.

Frankly only Bing and Melo had arguably great pro careers - Coleman was celebrated for his failure to achieve and his pro athlete attitude - I think he made the infamous cover of SI addressing that attitude issue.

In football many more can be added.

Gary Anderson, Jim Ringo, Jim Nance, Daryl Johnston, Al Bemiller, Walt Sweeney, John Mackey just to name a few.

Heck, Anderson, Ringo, Sweeney and Mackey might be the best to ever player their positions.

When the entire spectrum is viewed, Syracuse University is a football school - in my opinion.

Regardless of the media disliking him, Coleman was a very good NBA player before his injuries started piling up. He made Dream Team 2 for a reason.

Giving Sports Illustrated any credibility is along the same lines of giving credibility to all of the media dorks who have attacked McNabb in recent years.

Okay.

Add Dave Bing.

Frankly only Bing and Melo had arguably great pro careers - Coleman was celebrated for his failure to achieve and his pro athlete attitude - I think he made the infamous cover of SI addressing that attitude issue.

In football many more can be added.

Gary Anderson, Jim Ringo, Jim Nance, Daryl Johnston, Al Bemiller, Walt Sweeney, John Mackey just to name a few.

Heck, Anderson, Ringo, Sweeney and Mackey might be the best to ever player their positions.

When the entire spectrum is viewed, Syracuse University is a football school - in my opinion.

Well, there is another variable here when you talk about numbers--squad size. Hoops is 5. Football is 22 (or 24 if you consider kickers).

Anyway, that's a minor point.

The crux of the matter is that SU is a national player and brand in basketball, and has been for the last ~25 years. Football--we have basically been a footnote for 25 out of the last 40 years.

We are a university with a very proud tradition in both football and basketball, currently known more for basketball but driven by decisions about what is best for football, like most BCS schools.

Regardless of the media disliking him, Coleman was a very good NBA player before his injuries started piling up. He made Dream Team 2 for a reason.

Giving Sports Illustrated any credibility is along the same lines of giving credibility to all of the media dorks who have attacked McNabb in recent years.
Also if Drazen doesn't get killed on the Autobahn, that Net team, that Chuck Daly came out of retirement to coach, could have won a championship. Drazen, Kenny, DC, were young and already all-star caliber players, Chris Morris as Small Forward was just starting to blossom, Sam Bowie, Chris Dudley more the adequate at center.

Dear God, please let the season start soon (or at least practices) so we can move on from this horrible thread!

Dear God, please let the season start soon (or at least practices) so we can move on from this horrible thread!

Why do people dislike this thread topic so much? No one is saying they dislike the school, just stating where they think the athletic program's identity lies.

Trust me, if SU loses to PSU, folks will be dreaming about a resurrection of this thread once the drivel begins to get posted here.

We are a university with a very proud tradition in both football and basketball, currently known more for basketball but driven by decisions about what is best for football, like most BCS schools.

"very proud"

Quick, how many ( edit for JJ - PRIVATE) schools have Championships in Football and Basketball and Lacrosse (answer is one)

How many schools have 698 all time wins in football and >1900 wins in hoops? (again only one answer)

Syracuse has a rich athletic tradition, please do not pigeonhole Syracuse into "footaball vs. basketball school" crap

There is also no denying who the best program is in LAX.

If I gave both schools 75 years.. football still demolishes basketball.

Syracuse football has 7 players, likely to be 8 with Mcnabb, in the NFL hall of fame. Harrison and Mare could make cases as well.

Syracuse basketball has 2 hall of fame basketball players, Hanson and Bing. Three if Carmelo ever wins his championship.

Syracuse produces football stars and legends.

Football also has 3 times the players per team. They should have 3 times the hall of famers.

Besides one outstanding talent doesn't make a team, just look at the 09-10 syracuse basketaball team no stars but tied for number one in the country and probably could have taken the trophy with a healthy AO. JB usually doesn't get the 5 big freshmen like some of the other schools, but that could change. Chemistry blows a star away anyday.

Why do people dislike this thread topic so much? No one is saying they dislike the school, just stating where they think the athletic program's identity lies.

Trust me, if SU loses to PSU, folks will be dreaming about a resurrection of this thread once the drivel begins to get posted here.

Didn't mean to offend--it just seems that the topic is pointless. I thought that the obsession with Rutgers by some on this board was over-done, but I think this debate between SU football and basketball fans over what "type" of school SU is --like I stated earlier--pointless. Like, who really GAS?

Two - North Carolina

Ok amend my >650 to >654 then...

I also realize tO$U only needs one hoops win to join but still, my point is quite valid.

Well, there is another variable here when you talk about numbers--squad size. Hoops is 5. Football is 22 (or 24 if you consider kickers).

Anyway, that's a minor point.

The crux of the matter is that SU is a national player and brand in basketball, and has been for the last ~25 years. Football--we have basically been a footnote for 25 out of the last 40 years.

The entire spectrum.

Football also has 3 times the players per team. They should have 3 times the hall of famers.

Besides one outstanding talent doesn't make a team, just look at the 09-10 syracuse basketaball team no stars but tied for number one in the country and probably could have taken the trophy with a healthy AO. JB usually doesn't get the 5 big freshmen like some of the other schools, but that could change. Chemistry blows a star away anyday.

Fact is that Syracuse football consistently produces high level pro talent. Syracuse basketball has a great coach and wonderful team play...which results in successful seasons. However, that does not always produce high level professional basketball players.

We are a basketball school. It's really that straight forward.

Ugh...

Basketball School. Basketball Stadium. Hall of Fame Basketball coach. We compete for national championships ANNUALLY in basketball.

Not even worth discussing anymore. And I love our football program

The only people that make the claim that Syracuse is a football school are people in Syracuse that remember when our football was good.

To everyone else, Syracuse is a basketball school.

This thread, and all threads like it, are stupid. There's no reason we can't be both and debating one over the other is ed. And you know what, we're a Lacrosse school too.

The only people that make the claim that Syracuse is a football school are people in Syracuse that remember when our football was good.

To everyone else, Syracuse is a basketball school.
Football at SU ahs been good in two eras. The 1950's and 1960's when we really were a football school. And the 1980's and 1990's when we were also a basketball school.

For the last 10 years there really isn't a real argument.

By the way, Boeheim made those comments to the new football coach. Do you think he was just being polite or humble?

football school with a Boeheim happy cloud. when Hop has his 1st 16-14 seton hall-esque season, just watch the board rats jump ship. 'is the game on tv?' will become a legitimate post. we have hoop fans that dont even know theyre a fake fan, and soon theyll be gone.

fake fans, the frontrunners, help cloud the reality, the history. history is who you are, history is what makes you. historically, Syracuse is a football school. theyre not making feature films about bing and boeheim.

the Boeheim Happy Cloud provides a path for green and flynn to be drafted, the Syracuse football historical grit provides a path for steve gregory to have a shockingly long career.

Syracuse has become a lot of both thanks to JB, hopefulyy we can keep it that way.

oh, theres 1 post in here that was hysterical. the one where somebody slipped olindo mare's name in amongst absolute legends of the game. all i could think of was that song... 'one of these things is not like the others. one of these things just doesnt belong'. too funny.

Football at SU ahs been good in two eras. The 1950's and 1960's when we really were a football school. And the 1980's and 1990's when we were also a basketball school.

For the last 10 years there really isn't a real argument.

By the way, Boeheim made those comments to the new football coach. Do you think he was just being polite or humble?

I think Boeheim says a lot of things.

football school with a Boeheim happy cloud. when Hop has his 1st 16-14 seton hall-esque season, just watch the board rats jump ship. 'is the game on tv?' will become a legitimate post. we have hoop fans that dont even know theyre a fake fan, and soon theyll be gone.

fake fans, the frontrunners, help cloud the reality, the history. history is who you are, history is what makes you. historically, Syracuse is a football school. theyre not making feature films about bing and boeheim.

the Boeheim Happy Cloud provides a path for green and flynn to be drafted, the Syracuse football historical grit provides a path for steve gregory to have a shockingly long career.

Syracuse has become a lot of both thanks to JB, hopefulyy we can keep it that way.

oh, theres 1 post in here that was hysterical. the one where somebody slipped olindo mare's name in amongst absolute legends of the game. all i could think of was that song... 'one of these things is not like the others. one of these things just doesnt belong'. too funny.

The Express wasn't really about Syracuse or even Ernie Davis ... it was yet another remake of "The Jackie Robinson Story" with the added soppiness that poor Ernie actually died as opposed to Jackie Robinson who went on to have a good, not great, baseball career.

Princeton was once a football power. In 1951, they had the Heisman Trophy winner and two first team All American linemen. Does that make Princeton a football school?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom