Syracuse makes US News list of best places to live in USA ... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse makes US News list of best places to live in USA ...

Great news for Syracuse but these kinds of lists make me laugh. It's a completely subjective topic that they've tried to quantify for publicity purposes only I would guess. On what planet would people pick Des Moines as the 4th best place to live? In fact, half of the places on the top ten sound terrible to me.

Hey, I work in city #26. The pretty much hit the nail on the head with the write up of Houston.

what a bunch of weenies. it's not even that cold here, it is the snow which I have posted before is really only an issue for 6-10 days a year. I will take the counter argument that some areas of the country are too damn hot, people don't even go outside in the summer.

Having done Phoenix in August, where the temperature was 100 at 11pm, there's no way I'd ever move there. Yeah, it's a dry heat. Just means you roast rather than steam. The nice thing about winter is that it keeps the size of the bugs down. The size of some of those bugs down south totally freak me out.

here's the thing about these "polls" or whatever about best places to live. it's all BS. people make choices about what is important to them and they choose to live where they live because of any number of factors. or for economical or family reasons they don't feel they can move. I think it is safe to say that the vast majority of people live where the live for reasons other than they can control.

HA no problem. Yeah I live in the KC area but went back for a football game last year. I don't mind the cold for a game or two, just not all winter. Plus I'm in a wheelchair so travelling back isn't the easiest for me unless I can get a friend or family to go with me.

I'll gladly be your friend to go when you're back. I owe you a beer for calling you 100. ;)

0.0 shot I ever move back to the northeast barring financial ruin. Having 12 months of being able to go outside is just far more valuable than a lower mortgage.

I moved back to Upstate from Atlanta after 10+ years in the A. Upstate is and will always be home to me. And to my wife. I basically had nervous breakdowns about the possibility of raising my kids in Atlanta... and even worse, the kids becoming UGA fans. I wholeheartedly believe there is something very valuable in going to school/games/events in snow or cold temps. It toughens you up. Gives you that blue collar, no excuses edge.

The right opportunity at my work came along and I jumped at it. Delta allowed my wife to work remotely (no she isnt a flight attendant) - it couldnt have worked out better for us. Plus we have the finger lakes again. And don't get me started on the man-made lakes of Atlanta. Lake temp was 90 by mid-july. Cant see your feet in the water. Would rather swim in Onondaga Lake.

Gdp is projected to rise 3% this upcoming year. Urban residential growth has risen over 40% since 2016.

Syracuse very quietly is rebounding economically and demographically in its biggest way since 1930.

The untrained eye may not notice due to lack of infrastuctural growth and renovation. However, with urban population growth and business growth comes a great need for residential and infrastructural overhaul/growth.

Great news for Syracuse but these kinds of lists make me laugh. It's a completely subjective topic that they've tried to quantify for publicity purposes only I would guess. On what planet would people pick Des Moines as the 4th best place to live? In fact, half of the places on the top ten sound terrible to me.

They are pretty pointless. I can assure everyone that the 10 in desirability for San Diego is absolutely accurate. Sure it costs $500k for a starter home or over $2k/month for a 1 bdrm apt but other than that, I can't imagine a better place to live. Can be in Tijuana in 20 mins to make the rest of your money go a little further :bat:

They are pretty pointless. I can assure everyone that the 10 in desirability for San Diego is absolutely accurate. Sure it costs $500k for a starter home or over $2k/month for a 1 bdrm apt but other than that, I can't imagine a better place to live. Can be in Tijuana in 20 mins to make the rest of your money go a little further :bat:

Yeah but College Football starts at 9am and NFL at 10am

I moved to Liverpool when I was 26 and loathed my 15 minute commute. Only lasted one year there before moving back into the city and re-embracing my 5 minute commute.

I despise my 18-minute reverse commute from the city to the burbs. All my longer D.C. area commutes were much more pleasant by comparison. Though I'm thinking that public transit had a more than a little to do with that. Stupid backward CNY...

Funny comments about the weather. To each his own, of course, but I love the snow and the variation among seasons. That weird sunny week we had a little while back reminded me of that - after a couple days, I'm thinking 'come on, let's have a rainy day, this is getting boring.'

I don't know how y'all do the weather.. I grew up in Cuse and moved to Long Island when I was 16. Spent 14 years on LI and then moved to Atlanta 4 years ago. I flew back up to Syracuse last January for my grandparents anniversary and let out an audible "what the ****!!!" when I left the airport and into the cold.

It's crazy how quickly your body gets used to the warm southern weather.

Hey, it's not just a southern thing.

When I step out for a run on the first 20-degree morning in November after six or seven solid months of warmth, I'm absolutely certain that I'm going to die.

But the body adapts after a couple days.

Gdp is projected to rise 3% this upcoming year. Urban residential growth has risen over 40% since 2016.

Syracuse very quietly is rebounding economically and demographically in its biggest way since 1930.

The untrained eye may not notice due to lack of infrastuctural growth and renovation. However, with urban population growth and business growth comes a great need for residential and infrastructural overhaul/growth.

I'm more troubled by stats like this:

upload_2018-4-11_9-40-58.png

That's not sustainable. (Grabbed the table from this article last week: How Americans Self-Sort Themselves by Age and Class - CityLab)

For me, though, it's still a nice place to live.

Yeah but College Football starts at 9am and NFL at 10am

That's the absolute best part. Was forced to move to Tampa last year for my wife and absolutely hate being back on eastern time for sports.

I'm more troubled by stats like this:

View attachment 126274

That's not sustainable. (Grabbed the table from this article last week: How Americans Self-Sort Themselves by Age and Class - CityLab)

For me, though, it's still a nice place to live.
Thats a fair concern. I wonder if thats impacted by syracuse’s willingness to be a sanctuary city for immigrants. Also probably a result of our low living cost.

I wonder what those numbers look like 6 years after said in-migrants have lived in the region with all the colleges available.

Thats a fair concern. I wonder if thats impacted by syracuse’s willingness to be a sanctuary city for immigrants. Also probably a result of our low living cost.

I wonder what those numbers look like 6 years after said in-migrants have lived in the region with all the colleges available.

In addition to the refugee situation (which I think is a huge net positive for the city and region, but that's another topic for another time), perhaps the fact that this is a college town has an effect? Kids move in with no education and move out with an education. Rinse, repeat.

Though one would think Ithaca is in the same boat, but they've got good numbers.

In addition to the refugee situation (which I think is a huge net positive for the city and region, but that's another topic for another time), perhaps the fact that this is a college town has an effect? Kids move in with no education and move out with an education. Rinse, repeat.

Though one would think Ithaca is in the same boat, but they've got good numbers.
Being an ivy league town with Cornell, it doesnt surprise me their numbers are better. They’re also a significantly smaller city with far less room for jobs not requiring a degree.

Oft thought about moving back from Philly; this thread might convince me, ha. Just not sure I'll be able to find a a comparable job. Definitely in the camp that prefers bad weather to awful traffic.

Growing up in Syracuse, I literally wouldn't even notice if it was snowing out, because I was just so used to it. Now, living in the DC area, if there is even word of a flurry, I am conditioned to panic. It's just insane.

But the inverse is, I am now way tougher when it comes to traffic, whereas anyone living in Syracuse hyperventilates if they are delayed 5 minutes on 690 due to construction.

I lived 52 years in Rochester and, like you, barely noticed when it snowed or how cold it was.

Moved to NC in 2012 and am now, officially, a candy-a$$ed baby when it comes to snow and cold. In fact, I keep wishing I'd moved further south.

And don't get me started about traffic. There's none here and I love it, and there was none to speak of in Rochester, but when I visit my daughter in DC, holy mother of all that's sacred, what a cluster!

I moved back to Upstate from Atlanta after 10+ years in the A. Upstate is and will always be home to me. And to my wife. I basically had nervous breakdowns about the possibility of raising my kids in Atlanta... and even worse, the kids becoming UGA fans. I wholeheartedly believe there is something very valuable in going to school/games/events in snow or cold temps. It toughens you up. Gives you that blue collar, no excuses edge.

The right opportunity at my work came along and I jumped at it. Delta allowed my wife to work remotely (no she isnt a flight attendant) - it couldnt have worked out better for us. Plus we have the finger lakes again. And don't get me started on the man-made lakes of Atlanta. Lake temp was 90 by mid-july. Cant see your feet in the water. Would rather swim in Onondaga Lake.
two words. LAKE amoeba

NO THANKS

Hired a girl who is an SU computer sci alum in November for a company downtown. Her family lives in the Carolinas. She hates it there and so does her sister who may move here. Her and her husband are in the process of building a 4 bed/2 bath house just outside the city. We can keep educated people like this if the community markets the low cost of living in the area.

Haha. I haven't changed too much. I mock everyone down here in Knoxville about how they overreact to weather and hate the traffic here because ofnhow spoiled I was back home.

I lived in Delaware and was always the one to drive when it snowed.