Syracuse Mets | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Mets

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
With the MiLB season being shut down, will this shutter the Syracuse Mets for good?

I hope not!

Minor League Baseball shoots down reports that season is canceled

Reports that the 2020 Minor League season has been canceled are false, according to Minor League Baseball.

Wednesday night, the governing body issued the following statement in reference to those published reports:

“The report circulating tonight that the 2020 Minor League Baseball season has been canceled is
false. Minor League Baseball has confirmed with Major League Baseball that no such statement was
made. No decision has been made as to when it will be safe to begin the 2020 season.”

With the MiLB season being shut down, will this shutter the Syracuse Mets for good?

I hope not!
The Mets just signed a contract to host their AAA team with Syracuse until 2043. It looks likely some minor league teams might get contracted (like the Auburn Doubledays and most of the rest of the NYPenn league), but MLB teams are going to need AAA and AA teams, at a minimum, for some time to come.

The 2020 season may or may not be canceled, but at the least, from 2021 and beyond, we should be good.

The Mets just signed a contract to host their AAA team with Syracuse until 2043. It looks likely some minor league teams might get contracted (like the Auburn Doubledays and most of the rest of the NYPenn league), but MLB teams are going to need AAA and AA teams, at a minimum, for some time to come.

The 2020 season may or may not be canceled, but at the least, from 2021 and beyond, we should be good.
There has to be an out clause in that - I still think all AAA and AA teams will eventually be moved to spring training sites permanently.

There has to be an out clause in that - I still think all AAA and AA teams will eventually be moved to spring training sites permanently.
I am sure there is an out clause but the Mets bought the Syracuse franchise. Just last year.

They have been trying to get a AAA franchise close to NYC since the start of the franchise. Why would they throw that away after a year or two? You can't make money on AAA or AA baseball in Florida. You can't even make money off MLB baseball in Florida.

It is in the best interest of MLB teams to have their AAA franchise close by, cheap and easy to do scouting and call ups/send downs. It makes sense to have them play in the same climate. It doesn't make sense to have them play in front of no one in awful humidity and heat all season long.

If attendance for the Syracuse Mets is good, it will be very hard for the Mets to move elsewhere. Hopefully that will be the case.

You think Florida and Arizona will support up to 100 minor league teams with no minor league ball in the other 46 states?

you can get a kid from Syracuse driving in 4hrs at 2am if you need to.. One reason New Orleans failed was distance and Las Vegas had even more issues..

Losing Bingo hurts but thats a overall baseball decision.

the minor league owners mostly made money.. now that the mets own them they might too.. they also have some economies of scale they can apply, say they remove 4-5 jobs because they have other ways to get some stuff done.. thats 3-500K perhaps in savings

If the majors ever move all their minor league operations to Florida and Arizona could cities like Syracuse get together to field independent teams and stay in business? Keep in mind that college sport thrives by representing markets too small for pro sports, that an independent team could keep it's players all year so a guy on a pace to hit .400 or 50 home runs could potentially do it, that the team could employ ex-major leaguers that still wanted to play and that the leagues they formed could have seasons as long as they wanted and whatever playoff system thy wanted.

If the majors ever move all their minor league operations to Florida and Arizona could cities like Syracuse get together to field independent teams and stay in business? Keep in mind that college sport thrives by representing markets too small for pro sports, that an independent team could keep it's players all year so a guy on a pace to hit .400 or 50 home runs could potentially do it, that the team could employ ex-major leaguers that still wanted to play and that the leagues they formed could have seasons as long as they wanted and whatever playoff system thy wanted.
Many minor league clubs struggle financially already and that’s with major league teams paying player salaries. There might be some markets that could make independent baseball work, but I don’t envision widespread success. In the current independent leagues, there tend to be a few clubs that are fixtures while the rest of the franchises begin and fold each year.

It looks likely some minor league teams might get contracted (like the Auburn Doubledays and most of the rest of the NYPenn league), but MLB teams are going to need AAA and AA teams, at a minimum, for some time to come.

Agreed. Everyone goes to the minors first to tune up. They would need to completely change the system. Interestingly there is a list of people who went straight to the majors, and it is not that long.

Only a handful of players in the past 20-30 years

This is great news. April baseball is horrible up here.

Yeah, I rarely go to an April game. From May on, I try to go to at least one game per home stand. I've tried cold weather baseball and it just doesn't work for me.

I also like Bud Poliquin's long-standing suggestion that the season should begin in the southern-most cities and have the home openers in the northern cities take place as late as possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom