Syracuse on TV help? | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse on TV help?

djdan

Walk On
I'm going to apologize in advance for my lack of expertise on a subject that's probably been covered to death. I'm going to blame it on my advanced age of 50! But with that said, I'm looking for a better monthly TV subscription and ultimately, I just want to watch as many Syracuse games on TV as possible. The problem? One, I live in Maryland. Two, I currently have a local cable subscriber that does not offer the ACC Network or the Watch ESPN app. We have a ROKU TV but as you can tell, I'm clueless with this stuff. Switch to Comcast or DirectTV? Sling (whatever that is)? What are the folks who don't live in the Syracuse area doing to watch the games? I'm tired of only being able to see the national TV games!

I use YouTube tv. 35 a month. Can add up to 6 other people to your subscription. Includes watch ESPN and pretty much all the channels I would want to watch except for the food channels.

I use YouTube tv. 35 a month. Can add up to 6 other people to your subscription. Includes watch ESPN and pretty much all the channels I would want to watch except for the food channels.

So, for example, can you watch tonight's Morehead State game on it?

I use Directv now streaming service from AT&T. works like the youtube tv mentioned above. starts at $40 a month. includes all channels most people watch. HBO is only $5 a month. has dvr but local channels depend on where you live. I use an antenna in my attic for local channels. also includes watch ESPN app.

I'm going to apologize in advance for my lack of expertise on a subject that's probably been covered to death. I'm going to blame it on my advanced age of 50! But with that said, I'm looking for a better monthly TV subscription and ultimately, I just want to watch as many Syracuse games on TV as possible. The problem? One, I live in Maryland. Two, I currently have a local cable subscriber that does not offer the ACC Network or the Watch ESPN app. We have a ROKU TV but as you can tell, I'm clueless with this stuff. Switch to Comcast or DirectTV? Sling (whatever that is)? What are the folks who don't live in the Syracuse area doing to watch the games? I'm tired of only being able to see the national TV games!

If you have a roku device, you can download watchESPN app to that. You’ll need a cable service provider to be able to sign in to the ESPN app. Things like YouTubeTV and slingTV count as cable service providers.

I have YouTubeTV and a roku device.

Now I'm not sure how it works to get YouTube tv onto your actual television. One sure way is via Xbox app which I do, but I mostly watch on my phone or computer. I imagine that smart TVs can get an app as well.

sling is technically cheaper but the service is not as good and you can't add more people. But I used it for a while and it was ok.

sling is technically cheaper but the service is not as good and you can't add more people. But I used it for a while and it was ok.

Yes you can. Sling’s Blue package allows you to have more people using it at one time.

Now I'm not sure how it works to get YouTube tv onto your actual television. One sure way is via Xbox app which I do, but I mostly watch on my phone or computer. I imagine that smart TVs can get an app as well.

I have a smartTV which I just downloaded the YouTubeTV app to from the LG Content store that’s built in to the TV.

My other TV(not a smart TV) I have a roku device for it, and downloaded the YouTubeTV app to that.

Agreed. I had sling for two and a half years. It got the job done. I got YouTubeTV in the summer, and consider it an upgrade. Better quality picture, never any buffering issues, the fact that it gets local channels, and the DVR function are all big for me.

If you have a roku device, you can download watchESPN app to that. You’ll need a cable service provider to be able to sign in to the ESPN app. Things like YouTubeTV and slingTV count as cable service providers.

I have YouTubeTV and a roku device.
YouTubeTV. Ok. I thought I was pretty tech-savvy for an old guy. But that's a new one. Is it like Sling?

YouTubeTV. Ok. I thought I was pretty tech-savvy for an old guy. But that's a new one. Is it like Sling?

Yes. Very much like sling. But better, from my experiences.

I think it just became widely available this summer.

Ok awesome - and I like your point about quality and no buffering. I'm about to get AppleTV 4k - which will give me WatchESPN app. Have to stay ahead of this because (S)Rectum Cable is worthless for SU Sports.

Last edited:
Agreed. I had sling for two and a half years. It got the job done. I got YouTubeTV in the summer, and consider it an upgrade. Better quality picture, never any buffering issues, the fact that it gets local channels, and the DVR function are all big for me.
The DVR function is amazing. You can literally DVR anything, even if it's not scheduled to be on TV. Like search for any movie, tell it to DVR, and then in 2 months when it comes on TV, it will be recorded for you!

The DVR function is amazing. You can literally DVR anything, even if it's not scheduled to be on TV. Like search for any movie, tell it to DVR, and then in 2 months when it comes on TV, it will be recorded for you!

Yup, it’s great. I also love that you can set it to record a show, or more importantly a teams games, every time they come on. Don’t have to do it individually. Everyone of my favorite teams’ televised games is recorded.

If you get ESPN which everyone can get, no reason why you can't stream all the games. My son has it downloaded on his smart TV. I see the game through my iPad. Not as big a screen but can see all the games.

Too lazy to look it up but what sort of tier package price gives you all the ESPN channels? NFL Network available? I’m using DirectvNow which is pretty solid. I’m paying $50ish/mo for the tier that gives me said channels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom