Syracuse Penn State 1987 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Penn State 1987

Thanks, I have never seen this game before, now I have something to do this afternoon.

My heart still races watching that first play even though we know it's coming.
Craziest part of that play is that for whatever reason, Rob Moore wasn't on the field until Donnie Mac calls for him to the sideline from the field. You can see Don say "Rob Moore. Rob Moore" and then the camera catches Moore joining the huddle late, fastening his chin strap. 13 seconds later he's getting mobbed in the end zone.

Craziest part of that play is that for whatever reason, Rob Moore wasn't on the field until Donnie Mac calls for him to the sideline from the field. You can see Don say "Rob Moore. Rob Moore" and then the camera catches Moore joining the huddle late, fastening his chin strap. 13 seconds later he's getting mobbed in the end zone.

In the locker room before the game, Coach Mac decided to run a play-action to Moore on the 1st play of the game.

I guess Moore forgot. :p

The craziest part of that play was the official falling down...it was awesome!!! I was in a bar at a big round table with all my friends. One of my buddies forgot his wallet in the car. He said all he could hear on his way back to the bar was craziness. He is still bummed to this day that he missed that play. Of course, we don't let him forget it.

If Gregory didn't get hurt, I don't think the West Virgina and Auburn games would have been close.

I actually got a chance to interview Donnie about that a few years ago. Forgive the horrible camera work to start, as we were in the middle of a crowd:

Thanks for this. Never got a chance to watch this on TV but was fortunate to have witnessed it live.

Not to mention a QB who finished 2nd in the Heisman.
And he should've finished 1st!!
Quick side story: On the flight out of Nola there was a large contingent of SU fans, including Donnie Mac and his family. His Dad carried the Sugar Bowl MVP trophy on board, to a rousing cheer followed by a "Let's Go Orange" chant. It was really, really cool!!
And btw, Pat"Tie" Dye will ALWAYS suck...I mean JT2, GTown-like SUCK!!!

Last edited:
My seats were second level end zone. That first play is still burned in my memory in slow motion. We owned the peds that day.

Three words - all purpose yardage
Just an excuse.
Tim Brown was a great player, yes. But Donnie McPherson was the best player in the country that year. The real issue was that Notre Dame was the media favorite, whereas SU wasn't predicted to have as great a year as they had. We crashed the party and some folks didn't wanna accept it. I remember Craig "Ironhead" Heyward of Pitt was 3rd in the Heisman voting, and he had a better case, IMO, than Tim Brown. MVP is most valuable- not most likely to play in the NFL. Donnie was the most exciting PLAYER in the country, and definitely more valuable to SU than Brown was to a relatively "average" ND team. I still get burned thinking about that highway robbery.:bang::mad:

Just an excuse.
Tim Brown was a great player, yes. But Donnie McPherson was the best player in the country that year. The real issue was that Notre Dame was the media favorite, whereas SU wasn't predicted to have as great a year as they had. We crashed the party and some folks didn't wanna accept it. I remember Craig "Ironhead" Heyward of Pitt was 3rd in the Heisman voting, and he had a better case, IMO, than Tim Brown. MVP is most valuable- not most likely to play in the NFL. Donnie was the most exciting PLAYER in the country, and definitely more valuable to SU than Brown was to a relatively "average" ND team. I still get burned thinking about that highway robbery.:bang::mad:
All purpose yards was never a criterion again. Your average guy would get 100 yards a game just on KOR. Paul Horning got the GOAT's Heisman and Brown got Donnie Mac's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom