Syracuse Penn State 1987 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Penn State 1987

Most beautiful weather day ever. 72 degrees in October with a warm breeze. A few puffy clouds moving across the sky, looking over a shower of golden and red leaves. The angle of the sun made every stand out with depth. I walked from Manley to the Dome and by the time I got there, i knew nothing bad could happen on such a day. Everything seemed possible.

Just an excuse.
Tim Brown was a great player, yes. But Donnie McPherson was the best player in the country that year. The real issue was that Notre Dame was the media favorite, whereas SU wasn't predicted to have as great a year as they had. We crashed the party and some folks didn't wanna accept it. I remember Craig "Ironhead" Heyward of Pitt was 3rd in the Heisman voting, and he had a better case, IMO, than Tim Brown. MVP is most valuable- not most likely to play in the NFL. Donnie was the most exciting PLAYER in the country, and definitely more valuable to SU than Brown was to a relatively "average" ND team. I still get burned thinking about that highway robbery.:bang::mad:

In 1986, Vinnie Testaverde won the Heisman because the led the nation in passing efficiency and his team to a perfect record. Tim Brown, who had a better year than in '87), finished a distant third. Donnie Mac led the nation in passing efficiency and his team to a perfect record. What more can a quarterback do? And who is more important than a quarterback to his team's success?

Tommy Kane's great catch is at 45:40. And it came at a time when we were starting to make mistakes and lose momentum with the game only 13-0.

In 1986, Vinnie Testaverde won the Heisman because the led the nation in passing efficiency and his team to a perfect record. Tim Brown, who had a better year than in '87), finished a distant third. Donnie Mac led the nation in passing efficiency and his team to a perfect record. What more can a quarterback do? And who is more important than a quarterback to his team's success?
Yes, and I remember that Donnie Mac supporters felt that Tim Brown was given the Heisman as a lifetime achievement award, and not because he was the best player that year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom