Syracuse Penn State 1987 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Penn State 1987

Was born one year later. Dream I can see this type of moment in my lifetime for SU football.

Dome was rocking.

And the craziest part is, after that play, it was over. The announcer at the beginning said something funny about whether that POS JoePa would try to score early to shut the big crowd down, and instead the opposite happened. They were toast after that play - stick a fork in 'em.

I love our big shoulder pads from that era. Made us look so big.

nowadays after that first play TD the celebration of everyone "going to the ground" would get flagged as excessive celebration

That and the Florida game kickoff in '91... just incredible. I can watch them both a million times and still get fired up seeing it.
Reverse to one of the greatest names in CFB, Kirby Dar Dar!

I was at this game and was in the end zone seats where KDD ran it in. Freaking amazing!!! Coach Spurrier said he would never take a team over the mason dixon line again.
I was in the corner beside you. Watching Dar Dar running right at me was GLORIOUS!

The full game is finally on YouTube!

I was not at the game, but I was experiencing the worst hangover I have ever had. College junior at fredonia living off campus for first time. Crawled off the floor to watch the game on a little black and white tv. Pretty much stayed in the recliner for the rest of the day.

I was not at the game, but I was experiencing the worst hangover I have ever had. College junior at fredonia living off campus for first time. Crawled off the floor to watch the game on a little black and white tv. Pretty much stayed in the recliner for the rest of the day.
Oh those wonderful memories of not being able to handle your alcohol. Unfortunately, I'm still that way.

That and the Florida game kickoff in '91... just incredible. I can watch them both a million times and still get fired up seeing it.

I lived in SEC country at the time and wanted to win that Florida game in the worst way. I've wondered over the years if I made some sort of deal with the devil that led to the GRob years.

I lived in SEC country at the time and wanted to win that Florida game in the worst way. I've wondered over the years if I made some sort of deal with the devil that led to the GRob years.

Where's the "dislike" button?

saw that game at my grandparents house in Ogdensburg, NY

All purpose yards was never a criterion again. Your average guy would get 100 yards a game just on KOR. Paul Horning got the GOAT's Heisman and Brown got Donnie Mac's.

Both total screw jobs, especially Horning and his 2-8 team. I believe Tim Brown was the beneficiary of a lot of early ballots. By the time Donnie finished off the 11-0 season so many jackass writers had long ago voted for Brown. They basically gave the guy the Heisman because he had 3 punt returns for TDs. He only had 4 receiving and rushing TDs combined. Total joke

I love the "Dome Weather" at the beginning. Forecast: Noise, Wind: Supports Roof.

Just an excuse.
Tim Brown was a great player, yes. But Donnie McPherson was the best player in the country that year. The real issue was that Notre Dame was the media favorite, whereas SU wasn't predicted to have as great a year as they had. We crashed the party and some folks didn't wanna accept it. I remember Craig "Ironhead" Heyward of Pitt was 3rd in the Heisman voting, and he had a better case, IMO, than Tim Brown. MVP is most valuable- not most likely to play in the NFL. Donnie was the most exciting PLAYER in the country, and definitely more valuable to SU than Brown was to a relatively "average" ND team. I still get burned thinking about that highway robbery.:bang::mad:

1987 Heisman Trophy Voting | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

1 Tim Brown Notre Dame SR WR 1442 votes
2 Don McPherson Syracuse SR QB 831 votes
3 Gordon Lockbaum Holy Cross SR RB 657 votes
4 Lorenzo White* Michigan State SR RB 632 votes
5 Craig Heyward* Pitt SR RB 170 votes

My bad- coulda sworn "Ironhead" Heyward was 3rd that year. I distinctly remember at the presentation Donnie playing around and posing with an "Ironhead" face-mask, which was kinda cool.
Gordie Lockbaum and Lorenzo White...2 blasts from the past! ;)

My bad- coulda sworn "Ironhead" Heyward was 3rd that year. I distinctly remember at the presentation Donnie playing around and posing with an "Ironhead" face-mask, which was kinda cool.
Gordie Lockbaum and Lorenzo White...2 blasts from the past! ;)

IIRC, Lockbaum siphoned off a lot of "Eastern" votes which should have gone to Donnie. But Donnie got very few votes from west of the Mississippi.

If our last game against WV was televised nationally, I think Donnie could have won.

If our last game against WV was televised nationally, I think Donnie could have won.
Didn't he throw four picks that day? I know, they still won in part because of his heroics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom