Syracuse Raises Tuition | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Raises Tuition

As one who was a Geography Major, History Minor I appreciate the broad education but I also realize it was much, much easier than those majoring in STEM. I took a few STEM courses in college.

Even back then, in liberal arts you could get high grades by attending most classes, listen to lectures, take notes of the professor's opinions and spit them back on the essays. STEM you actually had to read detailed material and do Labs...and continue to build a foundation or you'll fail at the next higher level course. Liberal Arts didn't have foundation building of quantitative knowledge just courses with bigger vocabulary words.

I kind of feel the same way, but then again I've always been kind of dumb with the STEM stuff so maybe there's a reason humanities have seemed easier. I'll also say that there's so much variance among different specialties and individual professors, forget about different schools altogether. In the same history department, some classes were really easy and I didn't put a lot into them, whereas others had the same comfort level but I worked harder and got more out of them. It's a tricky thing to quantify.

My takeaway: a strong core curriculum is a really important thing but is also so difficult to perfect. Every kid ought to be leaving college with excellent writing skills, an ability to critically read, and some meaningful STEM exposure, though. (Among other things.)

I loved my seven years at Cuse :p
(ok, it was only 4, plus a summer session), but - I have zero desire for our daughter to go there.

Thankfully, she feels that way even more so, so it’ll end up being some art college that “only” costs $40k / year. :confused:

When I attended (mid 80’) it was “only” $13-$16k / year all-in, tuition plus room n board.
Which was pretty much my Mom’s salary, so she worked for 4 years to put me thru school, and once I graduated, my parents were then able to sell our house & retire.

I’d love for our kid to go to a SUNY school, since after your first job, that piece of paper is almost irrelevant.

Would like to know why college tuition goes up at more than double the baseline inflation rate.
I guess the answer is - because it can.

If you're looking for a good SUNY art school, check out the NYS College of Ceramics & Art at Alfred University. She'd have to like small town, one traffic light life, but there's usually plenty to do there and no shortage of trouble to get into. If your child likes nature, outdoors, etc, then Alfred is a GREAT place.

Responding to my own thread, I think its bad optics from SU.

While the increase is only like $950 a semester, which shouldn't really break anyone (including SU) if you chose the school in the first place, I think it is stunning that tuition alone is over $50K. I'm glad its my boy's senior year. I have fraternity brothers who have college aged kids and SU is not on the radar for their kids because of cost. These are guys with real jobs and six figure incomes. They cant justify the cost when there are cheaper alternatives. They cant or wont send their kid to their school. Its a bit sad. That's what happens when the cost of college goes up more than income growth every year for 30 years.

My nephew was #2 in his HS class and got into Georgetown, His dual income family couldn't afford it as Gtown doesn't give merit aid only need based aid. They sent him to GW instead as they came thru with lots of aid.
There's a real barbell forming: Poor enough to get aid or rich enough to pay full freight. Those in the middle are getting the short end of the stick. And the middle is getting bigger.

As an aside, my oldest just graduated Michigan State. We got in-state tuition due to my military service, so it was like $25k a year all in. I saw side by side the classes and opportunities my SU kid and my MSU kid had and have. While I'm glad my middle son could carry on the legacy at SU (4th generation, beat that) and its is definitely the school for him, MSU was definitely the school for my oldest and each education had their pluses and minuses that had nothing to do with cost. Both schools are fantastic...

...and my high school junior likes both SU and MSU among others...my 3 year old is 15 years away. How much will SU be then?

Last edited:
So SU has a budget issue... Say they have 500 kids getting full rides and make that 50K.. if they just reduce those 500 kids to 80% aid thats 20 million. And it may only be for 1 yr if times get better. It doesnt take much to make up some huge deficits for these schools but many are going the other way and expecting more kids to get more financial aid.. I know we are.. seems like they really dont understand the issues they could be fixing

For the 2020-21 academic year, the cost of tuition for all full-time undergraduates will increase by 3.9 percent. For those students admitted prior to fall 2018, the tuition totals $50,700. For those admitted in fall 2018 and afterwards, the tuition totals $54,270, a figure that includes the previously announced premium.

That is just tuition, folks...
Not just increasing tuition but, apparently, also significantly cutting financial aid packages...starting to get posts on Syracuse parent pages about significantly lower financial aid packages for the Fall...

I guess if you offer 2K less over 15k thats like 30 million in savings for the school. and that just becomes 2k more of loans but also at a time where loan rates have been drastically cut.

If I graduate from high school and decide that the career path for which I am most interested is computer science (for example), I should be able to go take an accredited 6-month program for a few thousand dollars to develop a general aptitude, take a qualifying exam, and then that makes me eligible for an entry-level position.

But that's not the way it generally works in the US. 4-year degrees are required for an endless array of jobs that really don't need them, and it results in students taking on chronic levels of debt and having to waste their time and effort and money taking courses that don't pertain to their chosen field.

Becoming a well-rounded person sounds warm and fuzzy, but being forced to do it for well over six figures over four years in order to join the job market is inefficient and counterproductive.

No one except the wealthy pay full price. The wealthy who pay full price help generate scholarship help for other students. The average cost to a student (because of scholarship help) is way less than the stated number.
What is the average price paid? Not that you know off the top of your head but id love to see a breakdown