Syracuse Relegated ??? | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Relegated ???

Orangefizz

Starter
In the era of the super conferences, with the likely expanded SEC and Big Ten dominating college football, I would not be terribly disappointed and feel Syracuse will still be in a competitive conference. let’s face it there is no way Syracuse can ever compete for championships with the powerful state universities dominating recruiting and the NIL collective landscape.

I don’t think we are doomed if we wind up in a third conference with a combination of big 12, pac 12, mountain west and American conference schools. In my opinion this is a worst-case scenario for Syracuse football and I would not be terribly disappointed with this outcome.

What does everyone else think ?
National Conference (24)
East

Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
UCF
South Florida
Mideast
Cincinnati
Louisville
Memphis
Wake Forest
Houston
TCU
Plains
Iowa St
Kansas St
Colorado St
Oklahoma St
Baylor
Texas Tech
West
BYU
Boise St
Washington St
Oregon St
Arizona St
San Diego St

I believe we are indeed doomed if we don't find a way into one of the big money supers. This realignment really couldn't be happening at a worse time for Syracuse -- at our low-point in basketball and football as irrelevant as ever. It's all about the money, unfortunately, and we need a piece of that super pie.

In the era of the super conferences, with the likely expanded SEC and Big Ten dominating college football, I would not be terribly disappointed and feel Syracuse will still be in a competitive conference. let’s face it there is no way Syracuse can ever compete for championships with the powerful state universities dominating recruiting and the NIL collective landscape.

I don’t think we are doomed if we wind up in a third conference with a combination of big 12, pac 12, mountain west and American conference schools. In my opinion this is a worst-case scenario for Syracuse football and I would not be terribly disappointed with this outcome.

What does everyone else think ?
National Conference (24)
East

Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
UCF
South Florida
Mideast
Cincinnati
Louisville
Memphis
Wake Forest
Houston
TCU
Plains
Iowa St
Kansas St
Colorado St
Oklahoma St
Baylor
Texas Tech
West
BYU
Boise St
Washington St
Oregon St
Arizona St
San Diego St

Where’s Kansas? Where’s Duke?

Yay, another scenario. And its own thread too.

Jesus.
It’s a fan board; lighten up. what else is there to talk about right now before preseason football starts?

I see no way that happens. One of the most prestigious basketball schools is not going Ivy.
So you see Duke in a conference with Syracuse Wake Forest Louisville and Big 12 schools once the ACC is eventually raided?

Last edited:
I could legitimately see Duke going to the Ivy League if they are left behind in conference expansion
Duke is not going to give up athletic scholarships, the Ivies' requirement #1. They are not going to subject which basketball players they can recruit to the Academic Index, the Ivies' requirement #2.

We are a good fit for whatever remains.

That said if the SEC and Big Ten get any bigger the NCAA is irrelevant.

Both conferences are going to have 6 team playoffs which they sell for TV money and a Super Bowl which they also sell for crazy TV money. They will ignore the NCAA and dictate terms to it. Their teams might play games against other colleges but they are as likely to play Villanova a current FCS as Syracuse.

Why would they do anything different? Why would they share money with the other 60+ FBS schools?

I don’t follow this expansion stuff too closely so I say this knowing this is a crazy thought, so don’t laugh. But none of this expansion has been about geographic fit, academics rivalries or tradition. It has been about TV markets and TV markets only.

With that said, (I know this is crazy) but wouldn’t the SEC want to get into the New York market? Wouldn’t that make Syracuse an option?

I don’t follow this expansion stuff too closely so I say this knowing this is a crazy thought, so don’t laugh. But none of this expansion has been about geographic fit, academics rivalries or tradition. It has been about TV markets and TV markets only.

With that said, (I know this is crazy) but wouldn’t the SEC want to get into the New York market? Wouldn’t that make Syracuse an option?
I think there’s something to be said about market protectionism as well. I’m sure the SEC doesn’t want the B1G in Florida and I’m sure the B1G doesn’t want the SEC in the Northeast. So it will be interesting to see how that plays out over time.

So you see Duke in a conference with Syracuse Wake Forest Louisville and Big 12 schools once the ACC is eventually raided?

I don't know where they end up, but I know they do not under any circumstance end up in the Ivy. There is far too much history. They don't just fold up and go play in a small conference and essentially become irrelevant over time.

We should definitely talk about Duke going to the Ivies.

I don't know where they end up, but I know they do not under any circumstance end up in the Ivy. There is far too much history. They don't just fold up and go play in a small conference and essentially become irrelevant over time.
I said before (in another thread?) Duke won't go to the Ivies because they won't give up granting sports scholarships or allow some outsider to govern their recruiting via the Academic Index that all the Ivies have to follow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom