Syracuse scrimmage compared to...Duke | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse scrimmage compared to...Duke

callmened

Walk On
So i was watching the syracuse scrimmage and it was obvious the players were going 20% at the very most...it was more about entertaining the fans...

then i turn on espnu and started watching the duke scrimmage at game speed and game effort...the question i had was..."y couldnt or shouldnt syracuse go full speed like duke?"...the 2nd my brain thought of that, Rivers and then Curry go down with (minor) knee injuries!

which would you rather see at scrimmage...full speed or half-ass all star type of show?

Look, we will go all out at during practices and risk getting guys hurt as well. I don't think how hard you go at it at midnight madness will really mattter too much.

This is an exhibition. Let them go half speed and have some fun. Half-court alley-oop's, driving the lane for a rim-rockin jam, NBA 3's, hanging on the rim...its all good tonight. They have the entire season to go full speed.

Midnight Madness is a fan event and a time for all the kids to show off. I prefer the way SU did it.

the fans want entertainment for an event like this. Let the kids have fun, let the frosh get some confidence of being out there with a major crowd and get their shots, and feel more at ease when they play during the year... Ya, full speed is great, but not when you have high potential for injury. Like you mentioned at Duke, Rivers couldve easily got seriously hurt trying to make a leaping defensive stop. Stupid.

Re: the frosh... MCW looks like he seriously needs to hit the weight room. Cooney looked fairly ripped, and Xmas looked pencil thin compared to a Keita... kinda disappointed he's not a lil beefier in order to bang down low

And no for the record I don't want them going more than 50% this was for fun and to entertain the fans. Last thing you want is to have a player injured during a scrimage!

the fans want entertainment for an event like this. Let the kids have fun, let the frosh get some confidence of being out there with a major crowd and get their shots, and feel more at ease when they play during the year... Ya, full speed is great, but not when you have high potential for injury. Like you mentioned at Duke, Rivers couldve easily got seriously hurt trying to make a leaping defensive stop. Stupid.

Re: the frosh... MCW looks like he seriously needs to hit the weight room. Cooney looked fairly ripped, and Xmas looked pencil thin compared to a Keita... kinda disappointed he's not a lil beefier in order to bang down low

I thought the exact opposite, Christmas looks ready to bang and definitely has more meat than keita

Don't think it had anything to do with that.

Since every 4-5 years a team can play overseas in summer, Duke had already had 10 practices and played vs China/Dubai, whereas Cuse and most college teams last night has not yet had their first practice.

Just more game ready like Cuse will be 10 practices from now, at which time I am sure all of you will want JB pushing them to go full tilt, not 20% or 50%..

This is an exhibition. Let them go half speed and have some fun. Half-court alley-oop's, driving the lane for a rim-rockin jam, NBA 3's, hanging on the rim...its all good tonight. They have the entire season to go full speed.
Agree 100%. Of course I want them to play tough D during the season, but that's when you get hurt. Let them come down the lane and take off a step in front of the foul line. Alley-oops almost every time down. The crowd wants to see dunks and 3 pointers, not charges.

Still not sure why there would be a high percentage of injury. It's not like these kids haven't been going 100% since last year - they probably play every day, and other than having a huge crowd this time, they are probably going 100% a lot of that time too.

That being said it's a fan event so if they want to run and gun and forgo defense, I have no problem with it. At Duke, their fans expect to see floor slaps and flops at MM, those things would look silly at 20% so they're stuck going all out. They've created a monster.

If our kids had gone "all out" you would have a new coach today ... Hop. JB would have had a heart attack right there at Midnight Madness! The scrimmage is for both the fans and the kids ... both love it. The fans get to see the new and old and the team finally gets to "play" and show their stuff without pressure. It for fun and should be.

I can see it from both sides. But the fact is, this was all just a big show. If you don't think these guys are getting together and going after it 100% in pickup games, you're sorely mistaken. They are playing hard on their own; they knew last night was for the fans, so they made it all about entertainment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom