Syracuse Sports Coverage | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Sports Coverage

HoustonCuse

2020-21 Iggy Winner Lead Scorer & Post Season Rcd
I know that the P-S gets a bad rap and people gripe about Bud, the investigations, etc. But man all you have to do is look at the coverage afforded to other Big East teams to realize we've got it pretty damn good. All year, I've noticed the dearth of any real coverage of the teams we play against. When we played Florida, I had a hell of a time finding damn near anything the local FL media had to say about a Top-10 matchup either before or after the game. From this game, reading/seeing the local UConn coverage, it is beyond pitiful. A handful of articles mainly saying nothing (other than furthering the idea that the refs cost them the game, which is totally bush for a legit newspaper). Nobody else has anything approaching Mike Waters and Donna Ditota, let alone the unique style of Bud. We're lucky to have such full and broad coverage of our team. UConn is a top program coming of an NC and they have absolutely nothing.

Anyway, just thought I would put that out there. As an out of towner, the coverage is really important to me and I appreciate it.

I agree that Waters and Ditota are top notch writers. The P-S does indeed do a fine job covering SU hoops. UConn has a lot more newspapers covering their hoops team but I haven't found a single decent writer among the bunch (Dez is good for football).

Lastly, I agree that there is no other writer in Connecticut, or indeed anywhere in the world, that is comparable with Bud. Only one college could possibly have produced someone like him. He is UConn to the core of his whiz bang bones.

Is Bud a UConn grad? I didn't know that.

Even if he is a nut, the fact that the paper keeps him on staff shows the support they have for coverage of our favorite team - which is more what I mean. Plus, even though odd, I enjoy his perspective about the scrums we play in joints packed with roarers.

I know that the P-S gets a bad rap and people gripe about Bud, the investigations, etc. But man all you have to do is look at the coverage afforded to other Big East teams to realize we've got it pretty damn good. All year, I've noticed the dearth of any real coverage of the teams we play against. When we played Florida, I had a hell of a time finding damn near anything the local FL media had to say about a Top-10 matchup either before or after the game. From this game, reading/seeing the local UConn coverage, it is beyond pitiful. A handful of articles mainly saying nothing (other than furthering the idea that the refs cost them the game, which is totally bush for a legit newspaper). Nobody else has anything approaching Mike Waters and Donna Ditota, let alone the unique style of Bud. We're lucky to have such full and broad coverage of our team. UConn is a top program coming of an NC and they have absolutely nothing.

Anyway, just thought I would put that out there. As an out of towner, the coverage is really important to me and I appreciate it.
Thanks, Bud's dad. ;)

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

Don't forget about Dennis Nett's photography. He seems to be at every game, home and away, and the PS always publishes a lot of his great pix, especially on line.

PS: One of the reasons that UConn coverage is CT has gotten worse is that the best sports reporter in the state (Phil Chardis) was recently hired by UConn as their sports information director.

I agree that Waters and Ditota are top notch writers. The P-S does indeed do a fine job covering SU hoops. UConn has a lot more newspapers covering their hoops team but I haven't found a single decent writer among the bunch (Dez is good for football).

Lastly, I agree that there is no other writer in Connecticut, or indeed anywhere in the world, that is comparable with Bud. Only one college could possibly have produced someone like him. He is UConn to the core of his whiz bang bones.
Waters is a real pro -- no nonsense, no agendas, no gimmicks. Ditota is a solid reporter as well.

And Bud certainly is unique. I used to hate his work but now occasionally enjoy some of his columns. Should that worry me?

Don't forget Michael Borkowski...best drawings around

Waters is a real pro -- no nonsense, no agendas, no gimmicks. Ditota is a solid reporter as well.

And Bud certainly is unique. I used to hate his work but now occasionally enjoy some of his columns. Should that worry me?
I stopped reading Bud about 2 years ago. Am better for it.

Ditota is a Pitino shill. ;)

I imagine Bud has a shelf full of thesauruses (sp?) and when he needs an adjective, just looks up a word he knows and doesn't stop until he finds a word listed that he doesn't. "'Scrumtrilescent'? Sure, let's try that!"

Perhaps newspapers in other Big East cities don't give as many column-inches to college basketball, but the Sub-Standard has earned its nickname. A nice example from this morning: http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2012/02/connecticut_center_andre_drumm.html

Donna says that - before Southerland's block of Drummond - Olander "saw Melo leave the middle of the zone to challenge him." Melo, of course, did no such thing - he wasn't in the game.

That's no minor mistake. That's a lazy error - no effort to check the 13-second YouTube video of the play that clearly shows Keita in for Melo and no attempt by any editor or fact-checker to make sure that it's accurate. And this is standard practice for Post-Standard writers. Horrid grammatical errors (some are worse than others; that fellow Nolan truly writes at an elementary-school level) and careless writing abound.

It's odd that Poliquin catches so much heat. His prose is overly flowery and he occasionally comes across as bitter, but - unlike most of his colleagues in the sports section - he routinely puts out copy that a high school English teacher wouldn't tear apart. That's gotta count for something, no?

I don't like people who take two pages to write what could be done in one. I don't think the "flowery pose" is a appropriate in a sports column. I also don't think that Bud particularly likes sports.
He should be the person writing columns on interesting people, not events. His column after Kathy Urshcel's death was fantastic. It was a tribute from an admirer. That was the place for prose, whimsy and eloquence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom