Syracuse to retire Jersey of Joe Morris | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse to retire Jersey of Joe Morris

Your mention of the sprint draw reminds me. I was really hyped for Joe's first game with the Giants so I made sure to watch. He finally gets in and they run a play for him. For a moment, he must have thought he was at SU and the play was a sprint draw but that wasn't in the Giants' playbook. Joe stands right where he lined up waiting for the QB to drop and give it to him, the QB is waiting for Joe come get the ball and hit the hole. Joe eventually gets the ball and is gang-tackled before taking a step. Wasn't a great start but he had a great career there.
Man, great memory! As a rabid Giants fan during that time, i remember Bill Parcells, when asked about Joe getting more carries, making some smartass comments at a presser about “Joe needs to learn the plays”. I remember being pissed and embarrassed for him- i really, really wanted him to do well. And it was obvious to me at least that he was way better than Butch Woolfork! Loved it when he finally became the starter.

Last edited:
Man, great memory! As a rabid Giants fan during that time, i remember Bill Parcels, when asked about Joe getting more carries, making some smartass comments at a presser about “Joe needs to learn the plays”. I remember being pissed and embarrassed for him- i really, really wanted him to do well. And it was obvious to me at least that he was way better than Butch Woolfork! Loved it when he finally became the starter.
And after it was all over, Parcels was asked about Joe. After a few general compliments, he said something like: And he wasn't just "there" for the run to the Super Bowl. He was one of the guys that made it happen.

morris.jpg

I have been watching Syracuse football games since 1973. Joe is the best RB Syracuse has had since I have been watching, by a large margin.

It is a shame he got hurt running into the sideline wall in the Dome. He was still terrific after that but never quite the same.

They added pads to those walks because of his injury. They remain there to this day.

Anyway, I agree, this honor is well overdue. Congratulations Joe!

The first thing I noticed about the Dome was that there wasn't much room between the field and the stands. Northwestern parted like the Red Sea to allow Joe to slam into that wall.

Last edited:
Did you know...

Joe Morris and Sherman Douglas have the same birthday...

Sept 15

Gary Anderson,Craig Wolfley, and a elite Coaching Staff

Don't forget Jimmy Collins. he would have been Nick Saban's star pupil at the time.

From the last Giants Training Camp in Albany (2012)

Little Joe ain't so little anymore

image.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom